*August 2019 check in*

I've been anxiously awaiting our 60 days only to realize I have NO idea what I want to book. My hubby just found out he probably won't be able to join us for the entire week which leaves me alone with 4 kids for the 1st 3 park days. Yikes. I'm used to doing stuff solo with them but never at Disneyland. I'd rather do 3 days without help and only 2 with help than zero days which is our other option. Ha. I really really want to go this summer so I'll do whatever I need to do. I'm also probably going to have to adjust our park days from Monday 8/12- Friday 8/16 to Tuesday 8/13 - Saturday 8/17 or Wednesday 8/14 - Sunday 8/18, depending on his work schedule. The kids know Daddy might not be able to go to Disneyland and think that we have to cancel the trip altogether. I may just surprise them at the last minute and let them know that we are going. We will start our trip in Carlsbad visiting my husband's family before heading up to Anaheim.

I want to go to Oga's for sure and probably Minnie and friends breakfast. WOC was closed on our last two trips so I'd love to do the dessert party but I'm not sure. We did Fantasmic dining last summer so I think we'll skip it this trip or just get a Fastpass for it if we decide we want to do it.

WoC Dessert Party - Aug. 19 booked
Chefs Counter - Aug 21 maybe? - Have to call Napa Rose directly to book.
SH 55 breakfast - Aug 23
Lamplight Lounge - Aug 19 early dinner booked
Carthay Circle - Aug 22 booked

Aladora, I'm totally stealing your formatting! I love it! Here's my ADR lineup:

Goofy's Kitchen Breakfast - Aug. 10 booked
Blue Bayou Fantasmic! package- Aug. 13 booked
Donald's Surfside Breakfast- Aug. 16 booked
WOC- ??

I have never seen WOC. Last time I was at DCA, it was still much more CA themed, with the gaudy sun and fountain, no Buena Vista street, and a very empty parade route for the Electric Light Parade. Is a dessert party a must? Is fastpass seating still ok if we don't do dessert package?

I booked the World of Color Dessert Party for August 20. As a solo, I'm not quite sure what to expect as I have never attended this function before. Unfortunately they nailed me with a price increase that goes into effect shortly ($84 instead of $79). I have attended the Carthay Circle lunch package for WoC in the recent past, which was excellent not to mention cheaper, but that requires a standing section for the show. I am in the same boat as other posters here who have mentioned that standing around for an extended period at the end of the day has become rather challenging. So I'll definitely be looking forward to that seat, high back or not. (And hopefully diet soda, if they offer it.) :drinking1

Chefs Counter - Aug 21 booked!
Lamplight Lounge - Aug 19 early dinner booked
SH 55 breakfast - Aug 23

I called Napa Rose this evening and booked the chef's counter for our 20th anniversary/son starting high school celebration! This will be his first time at the chef's counter and DH and my 3rd time. Only thing left to book tomorrow is our SH55 breakfast. :)

Last edited:

WOC- ??

I have never seen WOC. Last time I was at DCA, it was still much more CA themed, with the gaudy sun and fountain, no Buena Vista street, and a very empty parade route for the Electric Light Parade. Is a dessert party a must? Is fastpass seating still ok if we don't do dessert package?
You can easily get FP for WOC. People do the dessert and dinner reservations because they don't like standing for the show and the wait for the show. It is not necessary, just something people prefer. We've only seen the show from a standing area and it is good. Just plan to be squished and on your feet. Fantasmic is this way too.

Aug 18 Dinner at Black Tap, hopefully
Aug 19 Fantasmic dinner with upgrade @ River Belle
Aug 20 Blue Bayou early lunch
Aug 21 WoC dessert party
Aug 22 Plaza Inn late breakfast

Then the Expo! Ready to Roll!

WOC- ??

Feel free to steal my formatting! I am a very visual person so I like seeing things all nicely laid out.

FP for WoC is fine, you just need to put in a little extra time if you want to get the best possible view. As well, you need to be aware that you will have to stand for the show which might be a problem if you have little ones or people who can't stand for long.

I'm not 100% about the accuracy of this but you can check out the World of Color Superthread post #1 for a good visual of the different viewing areas. The thread is pretty massive but I think the first post has most of the info you might need including a picture of the area plus just below the picture is a short precis about the different viewing areas. Further in that first post is info about where and when you should show up for each FP area.

As for me, I managed to book the last (planned!) dining reservation, breakfast at SH55 on our last day. Yay!

Chefs Counter - Aug 21 booked!
Lamplight Lounge - Aug 19 booked
SH 55 breakfast - Aug 23 booked

The only unknown for us will be the Cantina. We want to try and get a reservation there at any time we can get, I really want to get a Fuzzy Tauntaun (the name!) and even through the drink sounds not that great, (coconut, ick) I may just have to get a Cliff Dweller for the Porg mug! :D You can only get that reservation on the day of, so we will just have to see when we can make one. At 10:30 this morning I was able to see a reservation time for 10:00pm today so that gives me hope that on at least one of our days we will be able to get a reservation time that will not conflict with our other ones. To be honest, we would be willing to ditch our CCR one and forfeit the cancellation fee if that is our only option!

The only unknown for us will be the Cantina. We want to try and get a reservation there at any time we can get, I really want to get a Fuzzy Tauntaun (the name!) and even through the drink sounds not that great, (coconut, ick) I may just have to get a Cliff Dweller for the Porg mug! :D You can only get that reservation on the day of, so we will just have to see when we can make one. At 10:30 this morning I was able to see a reservation time for 10:00pm today so that gives me hope that on at least one of our days we will be able to get a reservation time that will not conflict with our other ones. To be honest, we would be willing to ditch our CCR one and forfeit the cancellation fee if that is our only option!

I was watching the reservations today and if it continues I think we will be fine for the Cantina. I know I have had to modify some of my reservations at Disney world before because of being sick from the Pandora ride and I was able to use the modify option on my reservation and chose a date a few days out and then cancel. That way I was not charged the $10 fee. This might be an option if you have to get out of your CCR reservation, someone else will hit the jackpot and snap up that reservation of yours too.

You can easily get FP for WOC. People do the dessert and dinner reservations because they don't like standing for the show and the wait for the show. It is not necessary, just something people prefer. We've only seen the show from a standing area and it is good. Just plan to be squished and on your feet. Fantasmic is this way too.
'm not 100% about the accuracy of this but you can check out the World of Color Superthread post #1 for a good visual of the different viewing areas. The thread is pretty massive but I think the first post has most of the info you might need including a picture of the area plus just below the picture is a short precis about the different viewing areas. Further in that first post is info about where and when you should show up for each FP area.
Thank you for the replies! I love how helpful disboard members have been to such a noob as I am! :)

Booked my two ADRs for my trip this week!

Lamplight Lounge for dinner on 8/20
Carnation Cafe for lunch on 8/22

I’ve eaten at the Cove Bar (and plan to get the lobster nachos again), but I’m excited to see the new theming and try some new drinks! This will be my first time eating at Carnation Cafe though, bring on the fried pickles!

Now to just wait for the park hours and refurb schedule to get posted. I’m hoping with it being the week leading up to D23 and another AP tier unblocking on 8/20 that they will keep the extended hours later into August (8am to 12am, instead of 9am to 11pm). I’m also pretty sure that the Haunted Mansion will go down for the NBC overlay on 8/20 if past dates are any indication, so hopefully that is the only major refurb!

My sister and I will be there Aug 24-28 with the middle 3 days in the parks (Sunday Monday Tuesday). I have the Candy’s Cane Inn booked as well as the Anaheim Majestic Garden. AMG is cheaper but I’m concerned about the walk/shuttle and the mixed reviews. Should I suck it up and pay more for Candy Cane? Is there somewhere else I should be looking at?

All advice welcome. I know it’s going to be busy during our stay but we will manage.

My sister and I will be there Aug 24-28 with the middle 3 days in the parks (Sunday Monday Tuesday). I have the Candy’s Cane Inn booked as well as the Anaheim Majestic Garden. AMG is cheaper but I’m concerned about the walk/shuttle and the mixed reviews. Should I suck it up and pay more for Candy Cane? Is there somewhere else I should be looking at?

All advice welcome. I know it’s going to be busy during our stay but we will manage.

Picking a hotel is prob the most stressful part for me. We like to be as close to the gate as possible and have stayed at Del Sol most of our trips. This trip we are staying at the Desert Inn Suites next door because it was a few hundred dollars cheaper. I have looked at the Tropicana a few times and have walked by it looks nice and clean. I guess it depends on what you are wanting, just a place to sleep or somewhere to relax on your non park days etc.

I prefer to stay closer, Park Vue is reliable. Can’t get closer and employees are nice, free breakfast and parking. I tried Candy Cane but the walk was far and waiting for the shuttle wasn’t fun. Room was tiny too. Park Vue has AAA discount and others if you call

Agree with tlcdoula, picking a hotel/motel is one of the more stressful parts of the trip planning!

I'm not sure what rates you have booked but here is what I've found for a few places for check in Aug 24, check out Aug 28. All for a basic room with 2Q.

CCI: $732.00
AMG: $691.00
DI&S: $576.00
PVI: $716.00
Del Sol: $562.10

If it were me, I would book the DI&S or Del Sol. Right across the street from the parks at a better rate!

Edited to add: I just noticed that you are also from Canada, these numbers are all, sadly, in US$.

Also, we are from Vancouver Island, what about you?

Last edited:
We land at 230pm on Thursday the 8th. We have tickets for the Haunted Mansion 50th party from 1am to 4am. Friday won't likely get much done since we won't hit the hotel til like 5 am...... Gotta get some sleep. Hit the park mid afternoon til at least after the fireworks. Just hoping we can make it all night. Not as young as we used to be.

River Bell fantasmic dinner on Saturday.

We plan to do "Walking in Walt's Footsteps" either Saturday the 10th or Sunday the 11th. Whichever day we don't do the tour we will do Steakhouse 55 breakfast. Made reservations for both days and will cancel the one that's for the day of the tour.

Book restaurants at 60 days and tours at 30......

Our flight leaves at 9 Monday night, so we'll have a good chunk of time on Monday too. Hopefully get some Star Wars time in there.

Also 3 things to factor in between the CCI and the others are breakfast, if you have a car, and being able to walk to/from the park and your room if you miss the shuttle. CCI has an expanded continental breakfast included (I think I read it's about $14pp at AMG), parking is free at the CCI (I want to say $18 a day at AMG), and both have a shuttle but if you miss the CCI shuttle or the time doesn't quite work out it's no more then a 10min easy flat walk to the CCI. I'm not 100% sure of the walk to the AMG but believe it's just over a mile.

If you plan on eating breakfast at the AMG and parking a car add $46 more a night and if @Aladora calculations are what you would pay you would end up saving $5 a night by staying at the CCI and have an easy walk if the shuttle doesn't work out.

We land at 230pm on Thursday the 8th. We have tickets for the Haunted Mansion 50th party from 1am to 4am. Friday won't likely get much done since we won't hit the hotel til like 5 am...... Gotta get some sleep. Hit the park mid afternoon til at least after the fireworks. Just hoping we can make it all night. Not as young as we used to be.

River Bell fantasmic dinner on Saturday.

We plan to do "Walking in Walt's Footsteps" either Saturday the 10th or Sunday the 11th. Whichever day we don't do the tour we will do Steakhouse 55 breakfast. Made reservations for both days and will cancel the one that's for the day of the tour.

Book restaurants at 60 days and tours at 30......

Our flight leaves at 9 Monday night, so we'll have a good chunk of time on Monday too. Hopefully get some Star Wars time in there.

Sounds perfect...

We did the Walking in Walt's tour last August for my birthday and I loved it...

We're staying at Del Sol this trip. We've stayed at most of the hotels on Harbor across the street from the main gate (Park Vue, BWPPI, etc.), but this will be a first for Del Sol. It was so much cheaper than the other options and I'm guessing it will be fine. I can't see spending any more than absolutely necessary for any other hotels on Harbor.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter