AUGUST 2018 Car rental watch

I noticed that the base price for my rental (8/15-20) dropped from $179 to $160 (midsize), but the overall price went up a little. Reason: The AD2823JAZ ($25 off) coupon I was using applied only to rentals with a base of at least $175. So...I went back in my old notes and found another coupon that I had used in years past, that I thought had expired. Turns out it still works...the code is AD3868JST. It is listed as $25 off specialty, but seems to work with many car classes. This is a public code...no affiliation required, etc.

So, if your base goes under $175 and the JAZ code stops working, give the JST code a try...

With JST and Costco contract ID, now I'm at $160. base, $203.73 total (you could subtract about $7.50 off of that to take off the Southwest points fee)

Woot! Thanks for reminding me to check, Richmo. Down $40 for both August and October rentals. They need to fall some more, but hey, that drop is much appreciated so far. 22 to 31 August. Midsize, $303.11, with Costco and JST coupon.

Woot! Thanks for reminding me to check, Richmo. ...

Yw! Especially for August, its time to pay attention and check a little more frequently. I even got different results yesterday morning vs. yesterday afternoon for mid-August rental.

Still no price drop for me. In fact I viewed my reservation again and my $522.22 has increased to $523.80 on my reservation. Must have been an increase in some of the taxes and fees to cause it to go up $1.62.:rolleyes: I have my $522.22 quote printed but I noticed they always say "ESTIMATED" just in case there is an increase in fees/taxes. :laughing:

I've been checking a few times a day and mine hasn't changed either. I'm still booked with Costco . . .I haven't seen anyone near their rates for my needs.

How do I enter a coupon code on the Costco site? I can get the price by logging in but can’t figure out how to add a coupon?

How do I enter a coupon code on the Costco site? I can get the price by logging in but can’t figure out how to add a coupon?

You can't. If you're using a Costco coupon code, the Costco rate finder should apply it. If you wish to use a non-Costco coupon, you should use the Alamo site, enter the Costco contract ID (7014627) and the coupon code you wish to use.

How can I find out what make/model cars Alamo considers "full-size". Should I just call? My current reservation lists a Camry. That would work for us but I like to dream of other possibilities.

How can I find out what make/model cars Alamo considers "full-size". Should I just call? My current reservation lists a Camry. That would work for us but I like to dream of other possibilities.

The Alamo site just lists Camry and Altima as full-size. Of course, once you get to the aisle, you might find all kinds of cars/SUV's/minivans in the aisle. Also remember that at MCO, standard and fullsize share the same aisle, so if 'Standard' is a less expensive rental, you might as well take it.

As far as calling, I guess you could call the Alamo MCO local number and ask them what is typically in the fullsize aisle, but I doubt they'll be too specific.

The Alamo site just lists Camry and Altima as full-size. Of course, once you get to the aisle, you might find all kinds of cars/SUV's/minivans in the aisle. Also remember that at MCO, standard and fullsize share the same aisle, so if 'Standard' is a less expensive rental, you might as well take it.

As far as calling, I guess you could call the Alamo MCO local number and ask them what is typically in the fullsize aisle, but I doubt they'll be too specific.

Thanks @richmo . I am going to call just out of curiousity to see what they will say. I am hoping to find a mid-size SUV on the full-size aisle too but I know I better not expect it. A full-size will be more than enough space for 2 adults and 2 small teens.

I realize at Alamo a standard is really a full-size but I suspect that to change in the near future. I suspect they will change to a full-size class and make their mid-size cars their new "standard". I hope my suspicions are wrong and I am just over-reacting. :rolleyes:

In the meantime, I hope we will all enjoy this standard/full-size while we have it. :rolleyes1

If we book directly with Costco we have to go to the counter and wait in line? Is there a way to go directly to the aisle?

If we book directly with Costco we have to go to the counter and wait in line? Is there a way to go directly to the aisle?

I usually try to book directly from Alamo, even using Costco codes as you seem to get the same rates, etc.

But...I believe when you book with Costco (and its been awhile since I've done this), I think you get both a Costco confirmation number and an Alamo confirmation number. You can then take the Alamo confirmation number to alamo.com and complete the "Skip the counter" and "online Checkin", which allows you to head straight out to the garage. If that's NOT the case, i'd cancel the Costco ressie and re-do it at Alamo.

My full size rental (Aug 24 - Sep 8) is now down to $357 (from almost $500 a few months ago). I am currently booked with Dollar through Priceline. I much prefer Costco but their prices are nowhere close to what priceline is offering.

I am also using autoslash to track and automatically notify me of any better deals that might be available.

My full size rental (Aug 24 - Sep 8) is now down to $357 (from almost $500 a few months ago). I am currently booked with Dollar through Priceline. I much prefer Costco but their prices are nowhere close to what priceline is offering.

I am also using autoslash to track and automatically notify me of any better deals that might be available.

Sometimes I get better rates thru dollar and thrifty also. But they never include an extra driver. They charge a daily fee to have an extra driver. Once I add that fee, there isn't enough savings foe me to justify it. The extra driver is a MUST HAVE benefit for us.

Sometimes I get better rates thru dollar and thrifty also. But they never include an extra driver. They charge a daily fee to have an extra driver. Once I add that fee, there isn't enough savings foe me to justify it. The extra driver is a MUST HAVE benefit for us.

If you have AAA and book Dollar/Thrifty (or Hertz, although they are usually more expensive) through them, there is no fee for an additional driver.

If you have AAA and book Dollar/Thrifty (or Hertz, although they are usually more expensive) through them, there is no fee for an additional driver.

Wow!! Thanks for sharing that info. I knew Hertz included an additional driver but I never knew I about dollar/thrifty thru AAA. Thanks for sharing that. I am going to run my numbers and check again. As long as I don't have to pay for an additional driver, its worth a look.

I have AAA and I can't find where I can book anything other than Hertz with AAA. Where do I go to find the Dollar discount with AAA?

I have a Alamo rental through Costco, and am also an Alamo Insiders member. I would like to do the online checkin and skip the counter (since we're arriving at 8:30pm and I'm eager to get out of the airport ASAP). Does anyone know if online checkin will let me add my wife as an extra driver ? I always like booking through Costco just to get the extra driver ... just in case we need it.

As far as the price - I booked a minivan months ago from 8/4 through 8/16, and it was ridiculous (about $850). It dropped down to $691 a while back, but I've checked it every day for weeks and it seems parked at $769. This year is going to shatter the rental car record for one of our Disney trips - I've never spent more than $550 on a rental before.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!