Aug or Sept Trip Better?? *Worried*

lilmissy7789

Mouseketeer
So as of right this moment, my husband, our 2 year old DD & my parents have 2 different trips booked-- but let me explain!
We were booked for Sept 10-14 and then we found out that SWGE was opening & my husband HATES HATES HATES MAJOR crowds *Obviously YES We know Disney is always Crowded* But, with the unknown of the crowd size for SW opening my husband decided to make reservations for the week BEFORE SW opens, so Aug 20-24!

My Question is, which trip would you keep? We know Aug is still fairly busy at disney, but we're hoping it's not "Galaxy's Edge" crazy... we know it's hottttttt & we know some schools are still out for summer break...

So, is before GE opens a better time to go or a week after it opens? Which trip would you take? Aug or Sept?

Thanks Everyone!!

I would keep the September trip. Schools all over the country will be back in session that week making overall crowds less than the August dates. For example, Touring Plans has the MK at a crowd level 1 for two of your September dates, whereas the August dates are in the 3 to 5 range. Even during your September dates, DHS is only a 6. Just avoid the SWGE area if you don't want to see it. No matter how much hype there is around this SWGE opening, kids are going back to school making overall WDW crowds less in September.

We planned Sept 11-21 18 mo ago. We were in the "glad SWGE won't be open yet" group. We studied all the projected crowds and are sticking with our original plans. Even with the opening, the crowds will be less than when school is out. We're prepped for HS to be the busiest park, but the day we're planning is expected to be a 5/10 crowd day. And...maybe Toy Story land will be easier to see with everyone focused on SWGE!

Those relying on crowd calendars should know that those crowd predictions can change several times before the trip, and that crowd predictors use historical data as one factor for predicting crowds (and in the case of SWGE there is no data for comparison). I’ve been on a level 3 or 5 or 9 day with no noticeable difference in wait times/ crowds. In other words, I wouldn’t let a crowd calendar sway my travel dates too much.

OP, the weather won’t be much different in September or August so that’s not much of a variable. With your date options, the only way to be sure to avoid SWGE crowds (and we have no way of knowing what they will be and how they will actually be managed at this time) is to go before it opens.

So as of right this moment, my husband, our 2 year old DD & my parents have 2 different trips booked-- but let me explain!
We were booked for Sept 10-14 and then we found out that SWGE was opening & my husband HATES HATES HATES MAJOR crowds *Obviously YES We know Disney is always Crowded* But, with the unknown of the crowd size for SW opening my husband decided to make reservations for the week BEFORE SW opens, so Aug 20-24!

My Question is, which trip would you keep? We know Aug is still fairly busy at disney, but we're hoping it's not "Galaxy's Edge" crazy... we know it's hottttttt & we know some schools are still out for summer break...

So, is before GE opens a better time to go or a week after it opens? Which trip would you take? Aug or Sept?

Thanks Everyone!!
not much difference in the weather. so if avoiding SWGE crowds is what you want go with August. only you guys can make that call for your family. as much as I hate crowds for my family if we were going the opening of SWGE would be the winner

As others have said, if you want to avoid SWGE opening then do the August trip. I can't imagine that time of August being significantly more crowded than in September right after the opening of SWGE. I would not rely on crowd calendars- no way it won't be crowded at that time. The weather should be about the same- hot and humid. Just have a good plan- we've gone during level 3 crowds and level 10- if you have a good plan, you'll still have a great trip no matter how crowded it is.

Just to chime in, the crowd calendar was WAY off for us this trip. The entire time we were planning, it said average levels would be 5-7/10...and they were all 8-9/10. So, don't could on any calendar being that accurate. I don't have any advice either. There were so many crowds this week we were there that we vowed to go in Sept or Jan from now on.

Thanks Everyone!!
Both August and September are part of hurricane season so no change in weather there. Since your husband specifically wants to avoid the possible and likely crowds of September due to SWGE, I wouldn't fight the feeling and thus go in August.

I think it is very hard to predict especially because after the opening date was announced, it sounded like many people were thinking about moving their trips that were booked for late August/September earlier into August before it opens too.

I think the week before SWGE opens will be crowded with people trying to avoid SWGE. It won’t be anything like the SWGE level crowds, but higher than normal. Just my opinion, though. I would go in August, be prepared for it to still be very crowded and be pleasantly surprised if it isn’t!

Honestly, don't make the decision until the deadline to cancel the august trip. We'll have a better idea on crowd control measures (hopefully) by that deadline.

My gut says to go in August though, the weather isn't that different.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!