Atrial Fibrilation at Disney? what rides??

lor

Mouseketeer
Hi, My husband recently has been diagnosed with a-fib, actually he probably has had it all his life, but it had become more noticable over time. He is now on medication for it, but they also had to implant a pacmaker because when they first gave him meds to treat it he was very sensitive to the meds( sinus node dysfuction) and it caused his heart to almost stop.
so right now he is on meds that are agreeing with him,only rare afib episodes, the pacemaker is only there as a back up( ie if his heart does go too slow because of the meds,)
On a side note he is an extemely fit 50 year old, his heart is in terrific shape, he had a excellent stress test,( better than some 30 year olds they said)
SO what rides are OK for him, with a pacemaker , etc.

That's a tough one because all the warnings for every thrill ride say to avoid with heart disease and high BP, yet consider how many people with those conditions ride those rides everyday. Fortunately your husband's AFIB sounds like it is pretty well controlled. Is he on Coumadin?

To ease your mind I would just check with his cardiologist. Just ask if he should have any restrictions from thrill rides. They will probably say no, but hearing them say that will give you peace of mind. Only your cardiologist is completely familiar with the specifics of your husband's AFIB, so I would ask them for clearance for all thrill rides - coasters, ToT, mission space, ect.

Edited to say that I doubt a pacemaker in and of itself is a contrainidcation for thrill rides as long as he has been getting his regular pacemaker checks. I think the real risk is having his AFib recur.

Have a great trip!

He is on Flecanide and Diltiazem and aspirin, when he had a-fib episodes before without meds he would go in and out of a-fib on his own, allthough it would sometimes take a few hours.
Since he dosent have high blod pressure that is prabably a good thing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter