At what age is it no longer appropriate for kids to be pantless when company is over?

Status
Not open for further replies.
See I think it's just a lot of this it's even worse manners to undermine a parent to their child.

Well it depends, an oreo obviously you have to twist lick them eat, I mean they told us so.
Other cookies, maybe it's more polite to shove the entire thing in your mouth?

Really a baby without a shirt on makes you cringe?

I did say it was MY PERSONAL OPINION....and yes it does.....my children are always dressed, are you not always dressed in your home? I am, so I would expect to treat my children as I treat myself. Why would I let my child run around half naked? I buy clothes for my children to wear, the purpose is to clothe the child not sit in a closet. I did say every family is different....this is my opinion.

My little boys run around shirtless all the time. My husband does too, and even mows the grass without a shirt on. It doesn't seem at all unusual or wasteful of their clothing to me it's hot! Lol.

I love that this works for your family :) It just isn't what we do.....maybe our upbringing, my parents never allowed me to either.

My little boys run around shirtless all the time. My husband does too, and even mows the grass without a shirt on. It doesn't seem at all unusual or wasteful of their clothing to me it's hot! Lol.

My DS does too and when he was a baby in the middle of summer he practically lived in just a diaper. He was more comfortable that way. He’s a sweater always has been. Has always practically tore his clothes off. He’s uncomfortable in PJs so he sleeps in underwear.

It makes me wonder about comfort level of the individual. If my DS is more comfortable that way should I force him to be uncomfortable just because I am more comfortable in PJs. That doesn’t really make sense to me.

I would not like to sit down to a nice dinner with a kid sitting there in a shirt and underwear.
Different strokes, but I have a hard time visualizing a backyard meal as 'a nice dinner'.
I think society has determined pants or some item of clothing covering underwear is a requirement. ... If I am wrong about that and it is socially acceptable I am surprised
Requirement and socially acceptable aren't synonymous.

Last edited:
Jeez I need to get my life sorted out. I hate clothes & rarely am I ever in pants, especially at home. No joke, I have this condition where I take all my uncomfortable clothes off as soon as I get home. Perks of no visible neighbors. ;)
Also, how do you sleep in clothes? Like seriously what am I gonna do when I have kids? They're probably never gonna wear clothes either.

Why would I let my child run around half naked?

Because they are kids.
Also adults do it all the time, especially men going shirtless.
And maybe your kids were perfect but mine were always making a mess with themselves as babies, way easier to put them in their highchair in a diaper and wipe them down then deal with the clothes covered in food

Different strokes, but i have a hard tkme visualizing a backyard meal as 'a nice dinner'.

Requirement and socially acceptable aren't synonymous.

Yesterday, attended a "nice backyard dinner" at my older sister's home with a little under 45 guests (final count is still happening last time I spoke to sister today). Spent 3 days up there assisting with the cooking and setting up along with my younger sisters. People dressed more apropos to resort casual and all wore bottoms no matter their age. Also tops.
Yes, it can be and still is being done:).

Life is what you make it.

Because they are kids.
And maybe your kids were perfect but mine were always making a mess with themselves as babies, way easier to put them in their highchair in a diaper and wipe them down then deal with the clothes covered in food

Maybe I live in an area that this doesn't happen in.....I have never been to a friend's home where their children run around without clothes, nor anyone in our neighborhood outdoors. My children are definitely messy eaters, they go in the bath after eating and I put new clothes on them. My husband nor anyone that I have seen in our vicinity mow the lawn without shirts either. If it works for you, that's great. I was originally commenting what my opinion is, not what others should or should not do. To each there own, that's what makes our great world diverse :)

Maybe I live in an area that this doesn't happen in.....I have never been to a friend's home where their children run around without clothes, nor anyone in our neighborhood outdoors. My children are definitely messy eaters, they go in the bath after eating and I put new clothes on them. My husband nor anyone that I have seen in our vicinity mow the lawn without shirts either. If it works for you, that's great. I was originally commenting what my opinion is, not what others should or should not do. To each there own, that's what makes our great world diverse :)
I live in a nice neighborhood, when it's hot outside many guys do take off their shirts to mow the lawn if they haven't hired out the work. It's not really all that uncommon to see that :)

I get it you may not see it but it's certainly a common enough thing and has no bearing on how I feel about the people I see who do it.

My friend has a neighbor that mows his lawn in a speedo. He’s between the age of 70 and 80. :scared1:

Definitely love the mentality of to each their own or there’d be no fun for any of us. :rotfl2:

Because they are kids.

That's exactly what I did with mine. Why create all that extra laundry?? And if anyone had come to my house and said something about it, I would have nicely suggested they go pound sand.

Okay. Now I'm getting really confused. How did we get from talking about a kid who's starting kindergarten in a few days not wearing pants to a diaper wearing toddler in a high chair without a shirt? Huge difference.

I love that this works for your family :) It just isn't what we do.....maybe our upbringing, my parents never allowed me to either.
my parents never allowed it either. Doesn't mean we didn't all grow up to develop our own unique opinions and practices - in our homes, our lives, our child-rearing...

Jeez I need to get my life sorted out. I hate clothes & rarely am I ever in pants, especially at home. No joke, I have this condition where I take all my uncomfortable clothes off as soon as I get home. Perks of no visible neighbors. ;)
Also, how do you sleep in clothes? Like seriously what am I gonna do when I have kids? They're probably never gonna wear clothes either.
My daughter age 12 is the same way. First thing that happens when she comes home the pants are off. And she lives in her T-shirt and underwear. Maybe. My son also prefers to lounge in his underwear. Over summer break due to the heat my kids usually sleep in their underwear and usually eat breakfast in their underwear. And yes my kids will remain so when we have certain guests over. This includes family members that we are close with such as grandma or Ants and uncles cousins etc.

Okay. Now I'm getting really confused. How did we get from talking about a kid who's starting kindergarten in a few days not wearing pants to a diaper wearing toddler in a high chair without a shirt? Huge difference.
when someone said that even seeing a baby without a shirt on bothered them.

Honestly, being 21 pages in, I am surprised the thread is still as close to the OP as it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter