At The Fort NOW Till Sunday April 10

Kekee, we'll be leaving at about 430am on wed the 27th. Be taking Ma. pike (rt 90) west to 84 west to 81 south to 77 south to 26 east to 95 south to 4 west. We'll be overnighting at a KOA in Broadway Va. off rt 81 for the first night and a KOA in Yemassee SC off RT 95 the second night. The first days drive is about 12hrs (611 miles) . Second day is about 516 miles or around 10 hrs on the road. From there it's about 342 miles or 6.5 hours to the Fort. We used to do rt 95 south all the way but between the NY and DC traffic and the robbery that takes place at the toll booths we found this way much better and lighter on the wallet. This way we only pay on the Ma. pike and the Newberg bridge ( one toll on the way back). As an example we went to DC last may paid $ 161.00 in tolls round trip for the MH and Toad. Nuff said. Hope this helps.

Hey jeepfreak, thanks for the info, very helpful. holy crap 161.00 in tolls ! Your route seems the way to go. Two more questions, does that route have alot of hills, and how many extra miles do you think it is ? thanks again, and have a safe trip.

Hi! We were just in the 2000 loop and I saw your sign! Sadly, we are home now. :guilty:

We were tent camping at site 2011. It was my first visit to FW and I loved it!

Hope you enjoy your visit!

Kekee, it does have some hills but the scenery is really nice. It's about 75 miles longer milage wise but about the same or a little less time wise. When are you leaving?

Hey jeepfreak, thanks again for the info. We have will be arriving at the fort on 8-22 and leaving on 8-31 . Will most likely leave chelmsford on 8-20 at about 5p.m. and drive all night so the kids can sleep. I will try to make it to south carolina and have one overnight stop and then on to the fort.

Kekee, another plus going this way is more RV friendly gas stations. By that I mean, if you have a gas MH or gas truck towing a trailer there are tons more stations that have the pumps parallel to the road. I have correct myself about the tolls. It was $151.00 not 161. I guess I should look at the screen once in a while as I peck at the keyboard. We used to leave at midnight and drive I95 863 miles to NC/SC border stopping at South Of The Border for the night then 8 hrs to the Fort, but 17 hrs is 6 hrs to long to be driving a MH. Now we do it 2 nights at a much slower pace.

jeeepfreak, thanks for all your help, nice to find someone one the disboard from MA. who has experience with the driving route. have not looked for an overnight stop location yet but , will probley do a hotel because I'll be to tired to set up the camper. Any recomendations ? And how is that south of the border ?

Kekee , we have always taken a motorhome down so can't help on the hotel issue, but if you go the way I suggest when you get on

I dont know what just happened. It shouldn't have posted. Well anyway you'll be south of South Of The Border when you get on I95 from rt26. But to answer your question , it has a great campground for overnight stops. Lots of full hookup pull thrus and it's 200ft from the off ramp.

Hi! We were just in the 2000 loop and I saw your sign! Sadly, we are home now. :guilty:

We were tent camping at site 2011. It was my first visit to FW and I loved it!

Hope you enjoy your visit!

SDFgirl, I am glad u had a good time. Were things quiet down on your end? It was a beautiful weekend again so glad your first visit went well.

We had a 10 hour drive home yesterday and I started jury duty today. I miss the Fort already.

Bama ed

Thanks to all who posted on this trip report. I am home now and it it wonderful to have a full keyboard to work with instead of the two-finger typing I did on my tablet.

This was a fairly typical visit for us in that we spent 3 full days around the Fort and doing other things and only went to a theme park 1 day (plus our checkin day and checkout day). Everything went smoothly from the drive down to our stay at the Fort to seeing our high school band march Saturday morning to the drive home (listening to the Masters on XM Radio).

It was great to get your feedback while I was on the trip so it felt like ya'll were there with me.

Now I don't have a return visit planned so one of you will have to take up the baton and do the next live trip report (so I can experience your visit vicariously). Who will it be next? Do we have any volunteers? :banana:

Bama ED

PS - I hope you find a piece of freshly poured concrete with your initials in it on your next visit to the Fort ;-)

Thank you so much for the pictures. I really appreciate the tarp in the tree pictures- Hey what are your thoughts on fitting two tents and a canopy in the 2000 loop, the sizes are 12x15,10x14, and the canopy is 10x10- Do you see any proplems fitting that on one of the sites in the 200 loop?

I will try an document our trip as well, how were you able to hit the internet? wireless? take care my friend - Bws

Thank you so much for the pictures. I really appreciate the tarp in the tree pictures- Hey what are your thoughts on fitting two tents and a canopy in the 2000 loop, the sizes are 12x15,10x14, and the canopy is 10x10- Do you see any proplems fitting that on one of the sites in the 200 loop?

I will try an document our trip as well, how were you able to hit the internet? wireless? take care my friend - Bws

Instacamper,

Your tents and canopies should fit. If you need a bigger site I would suggest requesting an outside (rather than inside/interior) site on loop 2000 if you are looking for a spacious site. The best thing you can do to help your self is to add this size info to your ressie. Call back to the Disney ressie line, have them pull up for ressie, and ask them to add a note specifiying the two tent sizes, canopy size, and outside request. You can also fax a letter about 4 days before arrival with the same info (there is a current thread about it) but I have found that if you get it on your ressie it seems to work just as well (or not). Better to provide the Fort assigners with too much info rather than too little.

My TR was a first for me. I have a Dell Streak Smartphone (a 5" screen with Android 2.2) and did it all over the 3G cell data network on AT&T. I set up my photobucket account at home on the pc and then downloaded the Android app for photobucket (as it turned out I really didn't need the app for the TR though). I set up the DIS on my phone to save my login info so when i pull up the DIS i was autologged in as Bama ED. So I used my two thumbs (if holding the phone) or used my two pointer fingers to type on my soft-key keyboard to enter text (corrections were painful since I am a bad typist anyway). My camera program on the phone had a menu choice when I took a picture I could upload it to photobucket. (somehow it knew to put it in my pb account since i had saved my login info on the phone/internet browser also).

So as I took pix with my phone/tablet I would tell it to upload to pb. in pb/mobile i could pull up each picture in one window and hit the "get URL" link for the IMG link which I would copy to my clipboard. I would have the DIS open in a second browser window and as I was typing I would paste the URL link the the picture as needed. It meant swapping back and forth between windows and it was slow going (not like taking my laptop with a full keyboard) but it worked.

I'm a techno-nerd and I don't care a whole lot about the technology but I wanted to do a live trip report with pix since I love to see live trip reports. Most TR are after people get home with text and pix. Some live TR are nightly updates with a pix or two. I wanted to do (and love to see) daily pix of the Fort - of little things like the guys planting the trees and putting the new roof on the Settlement Trading Post. Or the turkeys in 1500. And as you could tell I love taking pix of the Spanish Moss on the cypress trees (especially in the early morning shadows).

I didn't have the kids or DW on this trip with me so I had the time to do all the picture taking and typing. And I admit it was fun going around the MK on Saturday and immediately uploading the pix so I could show you what Main Street looked like that night (I love the picture of the moon over the fire station when it's night with the lights - the second picture is the best - the first was a little blurry).

I would love to read a TR like what I did. Mostly Fort pix and stories but also a park or other activity (like my putt putt). I want to see stuff to get me in the mood to go back.

Any TR you do will be great. If it's live that's better. If it has lot of pix with stories or descriptions that's better still. We are a demanding audience but we will be happy with anything you can throw our way.

Enjoy your trip first and foremost. Remember, you're on vacation. :woohoo:

Bama ED

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter