Asperger's vs. High Functioning Autism

Not to replace anything else you do, but have you contacted the school counselor?
I know in my daughter's school if we contact the counselor we can request they reach out to the child. In addition to it potentially starting a relationship there, it is possible that if the counselor recognizes an issue that could help you get an emotional/behavioral plan in place.

One problem that contributes to differing diagnoses is that not all doctors are qualified to make a diagnosis of an Autism spectrum disorder. The best way to obtain an accurate diagnosis is to have a transdisciplinary evaluation.

A transdisciplinary evaluation not only provides an accurate diagnosis but it also is the best way to obtain recommendations for therapeutic and educational programming. Unfortunately, these evaluations are very expensive and often not covered by insurance.

I have another question: I have already been told by the school, that we will have problems getting an IEP for him because academically he is doing just fine. He has to be having problems academically to be approved for services. I think this is being a little short sighted. My child isn't having problems academically (because he is ridiculously bright), but he is having problems with the social aspects of school. His behavior has caused problems in school like getting suspended for two days last year. He only does what is asked of him; bare minimum. He probably would get better grades and such if he were to actually apply himself which he doesn't do because of attention issues. SO, because he isn't having actual academic problems, he won't get services like being able to get a "time out" when he is being overwhelmed. They will treat hs outbursts like a behavioral problem and not a symptom of some other issues that are going on. Does that make sense? How do I go about dealing with this and getting the services I think he needs like being able to talk to a counsler at school if he is having a rough day or quiet, less stimulating places for test taking and studying, etc. ??
My son was diagnosed with autism when he was 3. He is now 7 and is extremely smart. He's reading on a 3rd and 4th grade level. He quizzes himself in definitions of words and different ways to spell them (ie steak and stake) he also taught himself multiplication and division. He does have behavior issues though. If he gets bored in school he will keep himself busy making things up to do or making sounds. He also sometimes talks back to his teacher if he doesn't like what she's teaching bc in his mind if he already knows what she's teaching y should he have to listen to her. It's also very hard to keep up with his need for learning. He learns things very quickly and wants to learn different things and he doesn't understand y some other kids take longer at learning things. Anyways to get to my point...academically he's a super star but behavior wise he can be difficult at times. He does have an IEP and he also has a 504 in place both for behavior. If I were u I would contact your districts child study team. They might want to test him themselves though. I don't know how it is with older kids. My district tested my son when he was 4. He also has ADHD as well. His attention is just not there, so the 504 is geared more to ADHD and the IEP more for the asd. Anyways good luck and I hope they grant u the IEP.

One problem that contributes to differing diagnoses is that not all doctors are qualified to make a diagnosis of an Autism spectrum disorder. The best way to obtain an accurate diagnosis is to have a transdisciplinary evaluation.

A transdisciplinary evaluation not only provides an accurate diagnosis but it also is the best way to obtain recommendations for therapeutic and educational programming. Unfortunately, these evaluations are very expensive and often not covered by insurance.

I was just going to ask the OP what testing the doctors/councilor/psychologist have done to get the diagnosis? There are so many doctors out there who just watch a kid for 10 minutes and slap on a diagnosis. A school system may not even take a diagnosis without testing results.

The biggest difference between high functioning Autism and aspergers is COMMUNICATION people don't agree, but guess what I have 2 girls on the spectrum I live it daily

My understanding is that the only difference is when language skills developed. Kids who had normal language development are diagnosed Asperger's, while language delays signal an Autism diagnosis. I'm pretty much with pp though, no real difference between the two.
didnt read your responses before I replied sorry but that is a bigger difference the. People think

I have another question: I have already been told by the school, that we will have problems getting an IEP for him because academically he is doing just fine. He has to be having problems academically to be approved for services. I think this is being a little short sighted. My child isn't having problems academically (because he is ridiculously bright), but he is having problems with the social aspects of school. His behavior has caused problems in school like getting suspended for two days last year. He only does what is asked of him; bare minimum. He probably would get better grades and such if he were to actually apply himself which he doesn't do because of attention issues. SO, because he isn't having actual academic problems, he won't get services like being able to get a "time out" when he is being overwhelmed. They will treat hs outbursts like a behavioral problem and not a symptom of some other issues that are going on. Does that make sense? How do I go about dealing with this and getting the services I think he needs like being able to talk to a counsler at school if he is having a rough day or quiet, less stimulating places for test taking and studying, etc. ??
if your child has a diagnosis he automatically gets an IEPER

Hi Nixie, my son (nearly 8) was just diagnosed (last month) with autism using both the DSM IV and DSM V guidelines. He is considered high functioning and under the older method of diagnosing I believe that would be Asperger's but as of now they are just calling his diagnosis ASD but they use the term "high functioning" which I believe are pretty interchangeable. He already had an IEP in place so I can't totally relate to your concerns, but when I made changes to his existing IEP we met with the district psychologist and a resource teacher who started a "60 day timeline" which means they have to evaluate him, and between their findings and the evaluation by the facility who diagnosed his ASD they will determine what extra things the school can do for him and must schedule the followup meeting within that 60 day period. I can't imagine why someone would think your son would not qualify for an IEP without doing the work to evaluate and observe him first. I hope that you can get that situation resolved soon. I'd keep pushing for it, going up the chain until the school district if I had to. My son also has ADHD and is very bright but I do believe he needs the social skills as well as emotional support (for anxiety and the meltdowns when he can't effectively communicate with his teachers/peers) so I am hoping this IEP will continue to make our lives better. I wish you the best with your challenges, it sounds like your son is in very good hands with a parent who is so passionate about his well being :)
please embrace the ASD aspergers now isn't going exists

What is really scary and I totally get parents wanting the Aspergers diagnosis , it was the best thing you could have asked for if you had to have an ASD diagnosis now hindsight is as they say is 20/20 I have 2 DD totally different ends of the spectrum it's not easy it never will be parents have to now decide whether begging for that Aspergers diagnosis was worth it because it just doesn't have any affect anymore

A couple of things,

While all new ASD diagnosis use level 1 Autism for the same people who before would have gotten an Asperger's diagnosis, prior diagnosis for Asperger's continue to be valid, up until a reevaluation.

Should all children with Aspergers or level 1 autism get an IEP, yes

Every child with Autism no mater how intelligent or adaptive have major functional curricular educational needs.

It is still a often battle to get one for Aspergers/Level 1 kids due to ignorance about the autism spectrum and about the equivalency and independence of the functional curriculum need in relationship to the academic curriculum.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts