ASMo? I heard something concerning...

Pluto777

DIS Veteran
Hey folks, just heard a story on the 'DIS unplugged' latest youtube show about some poor family that alleged they got bed bugs at ASMo :crazy2:... We may very well be staying be staying there this fall (probably std room) so were not sure if it will be a refurbished room or one of the old ones. I have read a lot of reviews on ASMo and based on the reviews it sounds pretty hit or miss. Some folks said it was great, some didn't like it at ALL. I never visited but it does look nice on the internet. OTO, I am wondering if it's a case of 'you get what you pay for' in terms of cleanliness - and that's something that's a red line for us. Then again even fancy & expensive hotels can occasionally be dirty right? Anyone think that resorts are more likely to be cleaner as the price gets higher?

i dont think the "you get what you pay for" applies to bed bugs vs. no bed bugs. i've heard of people staying at expensive and non-expensive hotels in NYC and both having bed bug issues. expensive and in-expensive clothing stores in NYC have had the same. however, the "you get what you pay for" does apply to things like dining options, transportation options, size of rooms/beds etc.

I've had them in office buildings that get cleaned on a nightly basis.

They're resilient little suckers. Even more so than the roach.

It can happen literally anywhere. The best thing to do is do a thorough check and if you want piece of mind, there are these things called buggy beds that act like an early detection system. Buy some and throw them down in the room.

Best thing is to do a thorough room check before bringing in your luggage. This should be done at any hotel. I use an inexpensive black light. No Disney resort is immune from bed bugs, and while I can't say for sure, I would wager every one has had them at some point. I know the Poly has.

There was a case of bed bugs in GF when I stayed there last August, in club level. They brought in the bed bug dog, and then they stripped the room of pretty much every textile to get rid of it. It can happen at any resort/hotel anywhere. With so many people visiting from all over the world, of every income level, it is bound to happen. Disney doesn't take it lightly though and if you report it they take care of it ASAP. This is one reason they've switched to all white linens since it makes the evidence of bed bugs easier to see. Always check your room before settling in, Disney or otherwise, you just never know. it doesn't matter if I stay value or deluxe club level I ALWAYS check as soon as I get in the room. I so far have seen nothing in any room but it's always best just to be safe. If you do find something contact the front desk immediately and they'll switch your room and take care of your stuff.

Bed bugs can be found everywhere---airplanes, libraries, office buildings, college campuses and some of the fanciest hotels in the world. But it is all about how management handles and addresses the issue. I feel completely confident in Disney after hearing how quickly and conservatively that they address the issue when it comes up. Bed bugs are nasty little things that can be complicated to eradicate. No matter where I am staying I always inspect a room immediately before I unpack or unwind. I worked in university housing for a long time and while my inspection is in no way foolproof, I feel better about it all. I wouldn't not stay at ASMO because you are concerned about bed bugs---they can be anywhere.

What should I be looking for when inspecting a room? I've never done so, and apparently have been lucky to not have brought bed bugs home.

What should I be looking for when inspecting a room? I've never done so, and apparently have been lucky to not have brought bed bugs home.

My uncle owns a pest control business and this is what he taught me to do:
Do not bring your bags in, or if you have no choice, put them in the bathroom
strip the bed completely. take off all of the pillowcases. unzip anything that is in a zippered cover
Look at the seams of the mattress, look at the box spring especially. Look between the mattress and the wall. if they are there, you can't miss them. They aren't microscopic, just small.

Leave as little on the carpet as possible.

Best thing is to do a thorough room check before bringing in your luggage. This should be done at any hotel. I use an inexpensive black light. No Disney resort is immune from bed bugs, and while I can't say for sure, I would wager every one has had them at some point. I know the Poly has.
Hey Sgt, do you (or anyone else here) know how to check for B Bugs? It's something (thankfully) I have NO experience - nor do I want ; ) Someone mentioned 'buggy beds'??

strip the bed completely. take off all of the pillowcases. unzip anything that is in a zippered cover
Look at the seams of the mattress, look at the box spring especially. Look between the mattress and the wall. if they are there, you can't miss them. They aren't microscopic, just small.

Just as I was posting the question of how to look.. If they ARE there :crazy2:, what do they look like, what will I see?

Just as I was posting the question of how to look.. If they ARE there :crazy2:, what do they look like, what will I see?

I think like tiny appleseeds (at least according to terminix). What you want to also look for is staining. Sort of like if you have fleas, you look for dried blood stains.

Thank you!

When we arrive, I always go to the room first with my flash light, I pull back the cover sheet on each bed, lift the mattress to look at the box spring, look between the mattress and the wall, and then look in all drawers. I am looking for tiny bugs, about the size of a tick AND any any tiny spots (left by bed bugs).

Don’t forget to look at the ceiling above your bed too. Sometimes they like to drop in for a quick bite to eat.

:crazy2::scared: For real? They go on the ceiling too??? Something else for me to worry about.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!