Asking for help/favor for friends of ours

SeaSpray

Disney World fan since 1976
Hi everyone:

I am writing here on the cruise boards because this has primarily been my "home" here on the DIS boards for the past few weeks.

We just found out this morning that my DH's best friend and business partner Jim just started having seizures and he's been in the hospital since Wednesday, which was the last day we saw him. He was at our house that afternoon, telling us how excited he was because he and his wife Tracey were going to be taking their 3 children to Disney World for the very first time this coming Tuesday! We told him all about our new Disney cruise plans too. While we were talking to him, he started to lick his lips and muttered something like "oh my god" but otherwise he looked fine. He was standing in our kitchen and just licking his lips, and not saying anything even when we were asking him if he was OK. This all probably lasted less than a minute and honestly I thought he might've felt like he was going to throw up or something because he wasn't saying anything and he was licking his lips. But then he was fine and continued talking. My DH and Jim then went outside to compare the new trucks they had each just bought. Jim was so proud of his new truck, his "dream truck". Then he went home and DH and I still were wondering what had happened in our kitchen that afternoon.

Well now cut back to this morning, Sunday. We get a phone call from Jim's wife Tracey telling us that the same thing happened to Jim again on Wednesday evening, and then later that night he apparently had a bad seizure and was bleeding from the mouth. She rushed him to the hospital and during the last few days they did a spinal tap, MRIs, brain scans, etc and found a growth of some sort on one of the lobes of his brain. They think it must've always been there but only now is starting to cause problems. And now he won't be able to drive his brand new truck because they don't allow people who have seizures to drive :( I think, if he doesn't have another seizure within 6 months, he might be able to get his license back though.

I am telling all of you this because they have had to cancel their Disney World trip that they'd have been leaving to go on, this coming Tuesday. His children are young, 11, 8, and 4. So I'm sure that even though they understand that Daddy is sick, I'm sure they are very disappointed in not going to see Mickey and friends now.

My question is this: Is there a phone number where I can call in Disney where I can request a letter or picture of Mickey Mouse to be mailed to these kids, maybe saying something like "I hope your daddy is better soon, I'm sorry you can't come to see me right now, I am looking forward to seeing you when you're able to come here". Just something small like that, to pick up their spirits. I know Jim is feeling bad, not for himself, but for disappointing his family :( :( I think something small such as a letter and maybe a signed photo of Mickey would really mean a lot to them right now.
Do any of you know where I might be able to request something like this??

Thanks so much for any info. I feel so badly for them:( They just got over a few years where Tracey was having some potentially serious health problems, and now this. Tracey is OK now, though.

(sorry for rambling, I just feel so helpless, since finding this all out this morning) :(

How scary for your friend's family. It sounds like he had a petit mal seizure at your house. These are sometimes called "absence seizures" because it's like the person just mentally "goes away" for a few seconds. It's likely that he's had them before and just never noticed.

You can read a bit about them here.

I hope everything for your friend is going ok. Having had a brief but scary experience with a grand mal myself, I know how difficult and confusing it seems. Perhaps the medication will work for him right away and he'll get back his license quickly. I wonder if it does, can the doctor recommend he get it back even sooner?

As for the picture, could you do something on the computer to create a card (to print of course) and then send it to them? Then you could personalize it even more.

I'll add the family to my prayer list and hopefully they'll get to go soon.

thanks for that link Andy, I will email and see what happens!

Kathy, thanks for the link with the info. I'll send the link to our friends to read, too.

musicgirl: thats a great idea. Hopefully they'll be too young to notice that the envelope isn't from Florida. lol I can print out a picture and letter and mail a copy to each of their kids. thanks for the idea!

Originally posted by SeaSpray
musicgirl: thats a great idea. Hopefully they'll be too young to notice that the envelope isn't from Florida. lol I can print out a picture and letter and mail a copy to each of their kids. thanks for the idea!

If you want to do it that way, send the card to me, and when I get to Florida on 8-22-03, I will mail it from the Orlando Airport!!! It would not be a problem at all!!!

SeaSpray, otherwise, you can mail it to me here in Florida and I can send it up. I can even run up to Downtown Disney and post it from there, it's just a few minutes away. If there is anything else I can do down here in Florida, let me know. I start my new job on Monday, but I have this weekend off so if I can help at all let me know. I'll add your friends to my prayers, with extra pixie dust too!
Lynn

Andy:

Thank you so much for your interest in helping me with this, I truly appreciate it. I just sent an email to Disney,from the link you gave me. I will let you know what/if I hear back from them!

Sincerely,
Terry

A few years ago our friend was driving her car and just blacked out, crashing into a gas station! Luckily she was not hurt badly and there was nothing but structural damage to the gas station (could have been a heck of a lot worse).

She is now on seizure medication and has her license back. Luckily the medication controls the seizures now. Good luck and best wishes to your friend for a speedy recovery.

MJ

Lynn and MJ: thanks so much for the good wishes for our friend.

MJ: I'm glad your friend is OK now. They're hoping Jim will be OK once they get him on the proper dose of medication.

Lynn: Thank you for the offer of mailing the card from down there in Florida. Andy (Verandah Man) has offered to print up a card to send to Jim's kids, and he even offered to mail it from the Orlando airport so it'd have a Florida postmark. I really hate to impose on him like this, on the day he'll be traveling for his long-awaited cruise! Good luck with your new job and thanks again for the offer of help :)

Originally posted by SeaSpray
Lynn and MJ: thanks so much for the good wishes for our friend.

MJ: I'm glad your friend is OK now. They're hoping Jim will be OK once they get him on the proper dose of medication.

Lynn: Thank you for the offer of mailing the card from down there in Florida. Andy (Verandah Man) has offered to print up a card to send to Jim's kids, and he even offered to mail it from the Orlando airport so it'd have a Florida postmark. I really hate to impose on him like this, on the day he'll be traveling for his long-awaited cruise! Good luck with your new job and thanks again for the offer of help :)

SeaSpray,

Lynn will be meeting us Friday night at the Radisson, I can give the card to her, and then she can mail it from Downtown Disney on her way home from the Radisson. If they have a special post mark there, that would make it all the more real!!!

I found a photo of Mickey and his Friends to include with the card. I e-mailed you a copy of the photo.

Andy:

I just got your email with picture of your framed photo and letter. It's wonderful, PLEASE don't dismantle it!! That is more than generous of you and your wife to want to do that, but I know the kids will be thrilled with the card that you print out for them :) Thank for you all of your work on this, and for bringing it to Florida to be mailed. :)

Lynn: Thanks so much for mailing it from DTD!! That will make it "real", being mailed right from Disney World!! :)

My husband had a grand mal seizure, it turned out to be a brain tumor. He had it removed, takes his medication daily, and he's been fine ever since (almost 10 years!)

They can do a blood level check of his medication, careful not to over medicate anti-seizure drugs, they can make you very out-of-it. (Dilantin, Phenobarb,etc.)

They can also test to see if he will have another seizure, ask your doctor about that test, I don't want to get into the details here.

good luck and God bless, I'm sure Verandah man will make a great Mickey card!

gail

Sorry to hear about your friend's illness; best wishes to him for a full and speedy recovery. We will be on the 8/16 cruise (we leave Thursday). Andy - if you send the picture to me via email, I can print it. I'll be happy to have the characters on board sign it. We go back to WDW afterwards so it's not a problem for me to drop it off at a mailbox. Please let me know.

Best, Sarah

Gail: I am so glad that your husband is ok! That's the reason they cannot go on their trip this week, because they don't yet know what the proper dosage for the medications is, for him, and they're afraid he'd have a seizure while on the flight. They told him that in a couple of weeks, after blood tests and seeing how he responds to the medication, they should have it under "control". I'm assuming that's why they are trying to reschedule their trip for November. They used a travel agent to book their trip so they have to go through her to change everything. I guess since Jim and Tracey have so much on their minds to deal with now, it's better for them to let the TA handle it for them. I will mention to them to ask their doctor about that test that can determine if he's going to have another seizure or not. Thanks.

Seaspray,
Not a problem posting from Downtown Disney, I spend enough time down there anyway,
Lynn

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter