Ashamed to go to Disney without kids

I have no guilt at all, none. You should not either. I've been with my own kids, relatives kids and friends kids. Let's just say my first trip without kids I was saying "Wow, we can do whatever we want". Okay I love the kids, but no guilt at all without any.

Gracious, I'm in my 70's and my kids grew up years ago, my wife has died and I live alone. Up until the plague, I tried to go every year. This is how I feel about it.

First, and foremost I do not know any of the thousands of people that are guests there. They don't know me, I don't know them so why should I care what they think.

Second, there is so much to see and so much to do that we have to have a pretty big ego to think that anyone gives a rats butt about what we are doing there much less who we are with. I've even ridden Winnie the Pooh by myself. The family in front of me just thought I was with the people behind me and the people behind me just thought I was with the family in front. When they boarded no one paid attention because of that and I got on solo without the group behind me knowing that I wasn't with the group in front and it didn't matter if they were curious because I never really saw any of them again.

Third, and the most important part of going solo is that you do always have a companion and all you have to do is let him or her out of the prison you have put your inner child away in. Let the little tyke out and let yourself be that kid again. That kid wouldn't even think about anyone judging them. That, after all, is the magic of WDW.

DH and I don't have children, with no plans for any in the foreseeable future. And the couple times we've gone in extended groups with kids, I admit, I prefer traveling with adults. That being said, on our recent visits, I can't help but feel immense guilt for going without any children in tow. It feels selfish in a way, or maybe just immature? To clarify, I do NOT judge other adults visiting and enjoying their vacation, these feelings are all pointed inward and I don't know how to deal with them. Disney is our happy place and is a huge part of our lives, I don't want to stop going. We still take other 'adult' vacations, so it's not like it's because the parks are getting stale.

Does anyone else here battle with this conflict of emotions? It's difficult when I don't like to do the sorts of things most other adults at the parks seem to love like drinking or the scarier rides, and instead I'm waiting in line to meet Princess Elena with a crowd of toddlers.

I don't know how to get past this and it makes me so sad. I've talked to DH about it, but like I said, we don't want to stop going so we still go and I just deal with feeling stupid and guilty the whole time.
I've seen lots of childless adults at parks getting pics with all kinds of characters. It's nothing unusual at all. Nothing wrong with it. Walt Disney said, "Adults are only kids grown up", and that is the ethos of the Disney experience. It's for adults to fully enjoy and participate in, too.

I'm a single mom and usually travel with my son, but in March I took a solo trip and it was nice. I didn't feel like there was anything wrong with it and I didn't get any weird looks. Stop worrying about being like others, and just be your own best self. That's good enough.

The OP hasnt revisited the thread and hasnt been on the DIS since January, so hopefully this thread still helps those with similar thoughts.

I have no guilt at all, none. You should not either. I've been with my own kids, relatives kids and friends kids. Let's just say my first trip without kids I was saying "Wow, we can do whatever we want". Okay I love the kids, but no guilt at all without any.
Absolutely, 100% agree. If we did 3 trips a year and left the kids behind every trip, maybe I'd feel a little guilty! But doing trips with kids and then trips without? Not a speck of guilt. It's an awesome way to enjoy WDW now and then.

Feel no guilt at all! After all, you'd feel liberated being able to Disney without having to worry about others in tow.

My friends and I (there will be 3 couples total) are planning an adults only get away. First time without kids for all of us, and couldn't be more excited!

I would have a lot of guilt not taking our 8yr old, but his mom and I are no longer together, so maybe that changes things a little, but I still don’t think that I could. Now I will probably just feel guilty if it was just me and him without her.

Last edited:
Why on earth would you feel guilty? You have just as much right as kids or any family or anyone else on earth to be there. Do what you love, go where you love, enjoy your life. I say this as a mom of two. Pre-kids my husband and I loved going just the two of us, and it never occurred to me to feel guilty. As much as I love taking my kiddos, I also look forward to a day when my husband and I have an adults only trip again, and I promise you I will not be feeling a shred of guilt! (hence why I'm checking out the adults/solo board while I'm supposed to be planning an upcoming family trip 😂🤣

I love going without kids. In fact I enjoy solo as well. As soon as the pixie dust falls on my as I pass under that train station arch I change into a 12 year old boy with a full gift card and a full day to explore the Magic Kingdom. I watch little kids having meltdowns and feel pity for their parents as I stroll past sipping on a Dole Float. Go!! Enjoy!! If you are a couple hold hands and focus on each other. If you see a short 65 year old man with a dole float in hand and who is beaming with delight as he watches people walk past ... stop and say hello.

I’m single, no children and a solo traveler and never felt bad about visiting Disneyland and WDW. I did have those feelings before i went on my first Disney Cruise but those feelings went away after experiencing the dedicated adult areas on the ship. I’ve really enjoy cruising with Disney and visiting the parks and not ashamed to get in lines to take character pictures.

My husband and I have done it many many times and have never ever given it a second thought, felt weird or guilty, what in the world would you feel guilty about? No one cares or even notices and I wouldn't care either way. Never ever thought twice about it. We also love the flowers, landscaping, beauty and uplifting atmosphere and beautiful resorts. There is much to do there for adults and you can let loose and do some fun rides also. Just the energy there alone lifts you to another place, just go and relax and realize there are many there like you and also who would know either way if you had kids there or not? Maybe your kids were on a different ride. I have never ever thought about it or worried about it, not once. ADDENDUM: I see this is an older post, I hope they went and maybe will come back on here and give us their review!

I was thinking about this post as I was watching a live stream of MK the other day. The amount of childless adults that were there far exceeded those with children.

Keep in mind, Disneyland was created because Walt sat on a bench thinking how great it would be if adults could share in the fun when his girls were riding a carousel. Disney isn't for children...its for the child in all of us.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter