ASD son diagnosed with Leukemia yesterday

Gorechick

DIS Veteran
My DS8 who is on the spectrum just got diagnosed with leukemia yesterday. We were totally blindsided. Luckily, my DS is high functioning and was able to tell me that he wasn't feeling well. He's had 2 treatments to bring his white cells down, spinal tap, bone marrow sample, port placed in his chest and chemo started. He is taking everything in stride and so brave. I would love to hear others' experiences with treatment. We are very hopeful that he will beat this.

just want to say hoping for a successful treatment and full recovery.

Our guys are tough, so I am sure he will manage OK

DGD5 was diagnosed in May and has been in remission since August. She just went to maintenance chemo (once a month) and is doing well.

My DS8 who is on the spectrum just got diagnosed with leukemia yesterday. We were totally blindsided. Luckily, my DS is high functioning and was able to tell me that he wasn't feeling well. He's had 2 treatments to bring his white cells down, spinal tap, bone marrow sample, port placed in his chest and chemo started. He is taking everything in stride and so brave. I would love to hear others' experiences with treatment. We are very hopeful that he will beat this.

(((hugs))) My thoughts and prayers are with your brave son and your entire family. Positive vibes ~~~ for a complete, quick, uncomplicated treatment.

I have not had to deal with your scenario, but I'm thinking keeping info simple, and trying to eliminate as many 'surprises' as possible will go a long way. Let his oncologists know that you need as much info before a change in treatment as possible to prepare your son. Does your son have any way to communicate his anxiety level? We use a green happy face to red angry/stressed face chart at our school. Making sure he has time to ask questions and process the answers before a treatment should help too.

I don't have any experience with it either, but I couldn't read and not post. You and your little one are in my thoughts and prayers. :love:

I don't have any personal experience--other than our neighbor girls (about 2 y.o. at the time) were both diagnosed. (Neighbors on opposite sides of us--not the same family.) They both are in good health at 9 years old now. Prayers for you and your family.

You have my heart's compassion in hearing this news.

The heart of a mom....sigh...nothing is more tender! Bless you and bless your son.

As far as testimony...one friend had a son born with c. He was treated and is now in college, hikes and is leading a normal energetic life.

I know of many who have dealt with C and through prayer, were fully healed. I'm talking stunning remarkable wow events.

I will pray for your son and ask for the good Lord hand to touch him and you both. Peace peace...this too shall pass. What a strong boy you have raised! :)

I'm sorry. I don't have any advice but wanted to send my best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Just wanted to send my love and best wishes! Going through chemo as an adult is hard enough, would never want a child to go through it!
Xxx

Sending prayers and light. I'm so sorry your son is going through this. A family friend's son went through treatments over a year ago and is now doing well.

Speedy and complete recovery!

Sending prayers your way. I know a child that just completed his last treatment. He is doing well, but it took almost 2 years of treatment. Some days were good, some were bad. Lean on family for support. Don't be afraid to ask people when you need help. I will pray for a full recovery.

I am so sorry. I have no experience or personal advice but wanted to send prayers and best wishes to you and your family. I hope your son has a speedy recovery! :hug:

JUst sending thoughts and hoping things are going well?

Our situation is a little different, but I thought it might be of use.

DS (8) has ASD.
DH (??) has ASD, and also Chronic Lymphocytic Leukaemia.

I know this is a little different from childhood leukaemia, but I thought I would share what DH, and his HFA brain said about it. He doesn't have the panic and fear and devastation that I do, he is just interested in the cells and the processes. He looks after himself and is, as you might expect, very good at following the rules set out for his condition.

I SO much hope that our journey is already having a positive outcome, but I just wanted to share that, it *might* be less scary and feel different for the ASD mind.

DH is currently largely well.

I hope this might be comforting.

It has been a long road however my son lost his battle with leukemia on November 5th. Thank you to those who replied to this thread. I can't believe in 11 months time he's gone.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!