Artist Point

Still no word, of course, from anyone related to Disney. That is rarely a good sign. @Beckyrina Like you, my wife and I have many emotional memories wrapped into Artist Point including dining there on our wedding night among many others. If it's swallowed up by a character meal, we'll be immensely disappointed. Then again, why shouldn't Disney decrease quality and try to earn more money--I hear they're struggling?

If Artist Point goes character meal, I will still have happy memories of very special Valentine's Day dinners and romantic anniversary meals. It will be a loss for us as we could always count on excellent food, excellent service in a quiet atmosphere.

Still no word, of course, from anyone related to Disney. That is rarely a good sign. @Beckyrina Like you, my wife and I have many emotional memories wrapped into Artist Point including dining there on our wedding night among many others. If it's swallowed up by a character meal, we'll be immensely disappointed. Then again, why shouldn't Disney decrease quality and try to earn more money--I hear they're struggling?

Yes, it will be such a shame. I'm guessing it makes sense for Disney to make all their hotels as kid-friendly as possible and push out us grown ups (;)!) to dine at Disney Springs etc if we want to be more up market.

I hear you loud and clear. im incredibly disappointed as well. :sad: This was my very fave restaurant on property. I'll be so sad once it becomes a character meal.

If AP truly goes to a character breakfast, do you think WCC will still offer breakfast as well?

If AP truly goes to a character breakfast, do you think WCC will still offer breakfast as well?
Yes. If they didn't, that would leave AP as the only table service restaurant on property, and I don't think AP could handle the load. While character meals are perhaps a way to get people into seats, those same people tend to linger longer to ensure they meet the characters.

I've been contacted twice by Disney after sending emails to (a) ask what is going on, and (b) how achingly disappointed I--and many others--would be if AP goes to characters for each meal, realizing as I do that the rumor is unconfirmed. Both times, they have spouted the same company line: "We know people are passionate about things such as AP, and we thank you for that passion. We have no actual news at this time, and in fact, I have heard nothing. Further, you shouldn't listen to all the rumors from various sites and sources as only the Disney sites are official, and that's where you will hear when anything is released." Of course, I pointed out that the very reason people turn to other sites and sources is because Disney usually says nothing in advance of a change, and such is the case with AP. We KNOW something is going on because of the lack of ADRs there come late October, and since Disney deigns to inform us of why or when or what to expect, and since Disney has forced us to begin planning many months in advance--especially ADRs--and because more information is better than no information, of course we are going to turn elsewhere. Given Disney's poor lack of foresight with the recent construction and refurbishment at WL, I have no faith they will make things better with whatever change is coming to AP. I do sincerely hope that I am wrong and will gladly eat crow if I am.

Yes. If they didn't, that would leave AP as the only table service restaurant on property, and I don't think AP could handle the load. While character meals are perhaps a way to get people into seats, those same people tend to linger longer to ensure they meet the characters.

I've been contacted twice by Disney after sending emails to (a) ask what is going on, and (b) how achingly disappointed I--and many others--would be if AP goes to characters for each meal, realizing as I do that the rumor is unconfirmed. Both times, they have spouted the same company line: "We know people are passionate about things such as AP, and we thank you for that passion. We have no actual news at this time, and in fact, I have heard nothing. Further, you shouldn't listen to all the rumors from various sites and sources as only the Disney sites are official, and that's where you will hear when anything is released." Of course, I pointed out that the very reason people turn to other sites and sources is because Disney usually says nothing in advance of a change, and such is the case with AP. We KNOW something is going on because of the lack of ADRs there come late October, and since Disney deigns to inform us of why or when or what to expect, and since Disney has forced us to begin planning many months in advance--especially ADRs--and because more information is better than no information, of course we are going to turn elsewhere. Given Disney's poor lack of foresight with the recent construction and refurbishment at WL, I have no faith they will make things better with whatever change is coming to AP. I do sincerely hope that I am wrong and will gladly eat crow if I am.

Yup - like this.
In the absence of official Disney Info? AP is DEAD after OCT 28 2018. That's what WDW has PUBLISHED, by way of bookings..

Now, WDW may post any official data, at any time, disproving this. As they have not done so? AP is DEAD after OCT 28 2018.

Meanwhile..... Staying at BRV Nov 9 - Nov 19. Already booked REAL ADRs. Hitting Contemporary and GF, where "there be Restaurants".
WC (as always) for breakfast - even if no one yells :). Entirely possible that I may initiate a "Pony Ride" :). Arrest me :).

All personal opinion - I'm not necessarily right, no one else is necessarily wrong.

I really hope Artist Point stays as the great restaurant it is, at least as a signature dinner/evening place. I’m not a fan of character meals at all, just too chaotic and noisy for me. No enjoying the meal.

If they go this route, I hope it’s only for breakfast. It will really be sad for WL if Artist Point goes away or changes significantly.

I don’t get a warm fuzzy with this one. Hope I’m wrong. :(

Well I did it....I complained to WDW about the changes at Artist Point and WCC etc. They confirmed that there are no plans to make any changes to Artist Point. Interesting right??? If this is true, im very happy! Not sure who to believe though, because we still cant get an ADR for late fall. :(

This is their response. Check it out....

Dear Goofyintoronto,

Thank you for contacting the Walt Disney World® Resort, and I'm sorry to hear your disappointments with some changes at Disney's Wilderness Lodge.

When looking into the concerns described in your e-mail, I am pleased to tell you that some of them are actually unsubstantiated rumors! As of this e-mail, we have no plans to make changes to our splendid signature dining experience at Wilderness Lodge, Artist Point! As it's one of my favorite restaurants here at Walt Disney World®, I can assure you I would find a change like that to be less than magical as well.

However, you are correct on the other two restaurants, Whispering Canyon Cafe and Geyser Point Bar & Grill. Breakfast at Geyser Point was always meant to be temporary, as we were refurbishing our other quick-service restaurant, Roaring Fork. We stopped breakfast service not too long after Roaring Fork reopened. On the other hand, we tend to reevaluate our concepts from time to time to ensure our guests experience different and positive atmospheres, and while we reevaluate the future of Whispering Canyon, we have toned down the atmosphere for the time being.

For all changes and developments here at the Walt Disney World® Resort, please check out our page on the Disney Parks® blog, located here: https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/destinations/walt-disney-world-resort/

I know these might not be the answers you were looking to hear, but I hope they do help you plan in the right direction the next time you visit my personal favorite resort, Disney's Wilderness Lodge. We look forward to seeing you real soon!

If you have any other questions or challenges, please do not hesitate to contact us by calling us at 407-W-DISNEY (407-934-7639) or by chatting with us in the Help Center of the Walt Disney World® website. Cast Members will be happy to assist you further.

Sincerely,

Emilio Dietrich

eCommerce Sales and Service Team

Last edited:
Maybe they are just sprucing up the decor like they did with Flying Fish a few years ago.
I preferred the more themed look that Flying Fish had before they re-furbed it. If Artist Point's decor will be similarly de-themed, to me that would be a step in the wrong direction, but it's all personal preferences.

I just called the ADR number (407-939-DINE), they said Artist Point will be closing for refurbishment after October 28 with no reopening date scheduled yet. I guess they just haven't made the official announcement yet; even the online chat folks didn't know about it.

I just called the ADR number (407-939-DINE), they said Artist Point will be closing for refurbishment after October 28 with no reopening date scheduled yet. I guess they just haven't made the official announcement yet; even the online chat folks didn't know about it.
Thanks for the info. Did they say anything about what the refurbishment will involve?

Excellent. We now have confirmation that AP is DEAD after Oct 28, 2018.

We also understand that there is NO official re-opening date.

So - pending DATA? AP is not just merely dead, it's really most sincerely dead :). Could change, if WDW will TALK....

Well I did it....I complained to WDW about the changes at Artist Point and WCC etc. They confirmed that there are no plans to make any changes to Artist Point. Interesting right??? If this is true, im very happy! Not sure who to believe though, because we still cant get an ADR for late fall. :(

This is their response. Check it out....

Dear Goofyintoronto,

Thank you for contacting the Walt Disney World® Resort, and I'm sorry to hear your disappointments with some changes at Disney's Wilderness Lodge.

When looking into the concerns described in your e-mail, I am pleased to tell you that some of them are actually unsubstantiated rumors! As of this e-mail, we have no plans to make changes to our splendid signature dining experience at Wilderness Lodge, Artist Point! As it's one of my favorite restaurants here at Walt Disney World®, I can assure you I would find a change like that to be less than magical as well.

However, you are correct on the other two restaurants, Whispering Canyon Cafe and Geyser Point Bar & Grill. Breakfast at Geyser Point was always meant to be temporary, as we were refurbishing our other quick-service restaurant, Roaring Fork. We stopped breakfast service not too long after Roaring Fork reopened. On the other hand, we tend to reevaluate our concepts from time to time to ensure our guests experience different and positive atmospheres, and while we reevaluate the future of Whispering Canyon, we have toned down the atmosphere for the time being.

For all changes and developments here at the Walt Disney World® Resort, please check out our page on the Disney Parks® blog, located here: https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/destinations/walt-disney-world-resort/

I know these might not be the answers you were looking to hear, but I hope they do help you plan in the right direction the next time you visit my personal favorite resort, Disney's Wilderness Lodge. We look forward to seeing you real soon!

If you have any other questions or challenges, please do not hesitate to contact us by calling us at 407-W-DISNEY (407-934-7639) or by chatting with us in the Help Center of the Walt Disney World® website. Cast Members will be happy to assist you further.

Sincerely,

Emilio Dietrich

eCommerce Sales and Service Team
Hmmm. I don't doubt that Emilio is sincere; however, I'm not buying what he's selling. I've made two serious inquiries both to Thea Sargent and George Kalogridis (as well as the AP manager), and not one of them or their guest relations CMs have disavowed anything. I was very pointed in my correspondence with them, and both times I've gotten the party line about not believing rumors and thanking me for my passion re: AP. The fact remains that AP closes on 28 October since no ADRs are available after that. They have not officially announced any refurbishment (I checked their Disney blog). They have not announced when AP will reopen (no reservations available after 28 Oct). They have not said that there would not be a character meal at AP. And Emilio didn't actually say there would no changes to AP. No, he said "as of this email" there were no planned changes which he could easily play off as not knowing of any plans.

Now, if indeed they wind up staying the course, going with the status quo with merely some refurbishment and revamping the experience, I'll be the first to stand up on a soap box and proclaim they did the right thing, that they saw the light, that they understand the importance of AP in the overall picture of deluxe resorts, DVC, and WL itself. I HOPE that's something I'll have to do. However, until I see it or get a personal guarantee by a well-placed suit, I'm uneasy with the direction I see them proceeding.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts