Artifical dye/food coloring free diet

NYEmomma

DIS Veteran
One of my daughters can't have artificial food coloring. I was wondering if anyone else did Disney with these dietary restrictions and what dye-free options you found. Naturally, most main dishes we don't have to worry about, but I'm thinking mainly of desserts/treats and drinks. Did you find anything dye-free that suprised you? Has anyone successfully attempted to get ingredient info on food coloring in items prior to or on their trip?

I'm sure you know to stay away from the processed food frequently found at fast food restaurants at any price point since an amazing quantity of everyday foods includes dyes and artificial food colourings such as hot dogs, premixed yogurts, ketchup and whole oranges(?!).

Vivoli il Gelato in DS says they use no artifical dyes on their website; makes sense since most European countries ban them.
Unfortunately, that's all I can think of.

Desserts and drinks are the hard part. We have DVC so generally just go to the store for things we know are safe and keep them in the fridge/freezer. That way we avoid all the nonsense that's put into the treats at Disney. Starbucks says they are generally dye-free, FYI.

OH! At sitdown meals you can have the chef come out for that question. Hopefully they'll know LOL.

And at QS locations you can look at the ingredient binders. Try to not go at busy times, and make sure no one is absolutely starving by the time you head to the QS, because it can take some time.

Agree with the above - my dd is dye free by choice and I have to say its so much easier now than it was 5/6 years ago when she started.
She reads labels and binders, understands the menus and has a good idea now of what she can and can't have - like others have said desserts are the most difficult. The only place we haven't been able to find a binder or ingredient list was at the ice cream carts so she looked up the ingredients online.

They have a new(ish) line of snacks and cookies that are dye free - I can't remember the name off the top of my head but they are in all the gift shops so my dd usually stocks up on some crackers and cookies to keep in her park bag in case of "emergency" lol.

We also stop at the gift shop in UK to stock up on candy as they don't allow dye in their food in UK so she can have some of the candy bars she doesn't eat at home.

and whole oranges(?!).
Oranges can be ripe but still have green patches.
People tend to shy away from foods that are supposed to be all one color (other than green :)) with even natural green spots.
Voila! Dyed oranges!

I have a dairy allergy myself and occasionally search just to see what might be new. A few months ago I remember coming across a book/guide about eating at Disney with allergy’s and I remember dues were inclulded. Let me quick search to see if I can come across that again.

Found it. I haven’t read this, so not sure how helpful it could be, but it’s an option.

https://www.amazon.com/Doing-Disney-Special-Diet-Artificial-ebook/dp/B071RXDWPS

Last edited:
Pulling out something I said...I mentioned that Starbucks seems to be dye free. Even with those bizarre drinks last summer with the pink and blue...those weren’t artificial. Which kind of made me want to try them, to pay them for not using artificial dyes.

I have a dairy allergy myself and occasionally search just to see what might be new. A few months ago I remember coming across a book/guide about eating at Disney with allergy’s and I remember dues were inclulded. Let me quick search to see if I can come across that again.

Found it. I haven’t read this, so not sure how helpful it could be, but it’s an option.

https://www.amazon.com/Doing-Disney-Special-Diet-Artificial-ebook/dp/B071RXDWPS

OH that's great And only $2.99 too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!