Arrival Evening

Thankfully our drive is only 7 or 8 hours so we have always gone to a park the day we get in. We started going when my son was just shy of 3, he is 38 now and that is just what worked for us. I would just play it by ear if you can afford to get one more day tickets. If you son is just too tired for words, go to the pool at the resort, grab supper at the QS and watch the movie that night. If he is all jacked up because he has been in the car for so long, head off to MK and let him get some of the energy out of his system.

We stayed at AKL on our most recent trip. I booked a standard room by requested a partial savanna view. They gave me room 4343 over a people pen. The cost became totally worth it when it rained and we got to watch a young giraffe play tag with its mother for over 15 minutes.

That sounds amazing!!! definitely when my son is a litle older to sppreciate it we will be staying there!! Unless my husband makes us stay in the new Star Wars hotel!!! :/

It depends on the time of day. We typically take our time and ease into the Disney experience.

I'm from NJ too, and I've been pondering taking the drive, but I've got a 5 yo, 3 yo and a newborn. Will probably have to decide sometime next year for our next trip.

you have your hands full for a drive!!!!! I couldnt pass up free dining and my son being free!!

Thankfully our drive is only 7 or 8 hours so we have always gone to a park the day we get in. We started going when my son was just shy of 3, he is 38 now and that is just what worked for us. I would just play it by ear if you can afford to get one more day tickets. If you son is just too tired for words, go to the pool at the resort, grab supper at the QS and watch the movie that night. If he is all jacked up because he has been in the car for so long, head off to MK and let him get some of the energy out of his system.

i have 5 day hoppers, so to add an extra day is probably like $15 lol.. might just be worth it to have the extra option!

you have your hands full for a drive!!!!! I couldnt pass up free dining and my son being free!!
My son was free last year and it was awesome. Not anymore. We're skipping a Disney trip this year because of the infant (not doing that again), but I told my wife last night that we're going to have to squeeze in two more trips to before the youngest turns 3 to take advantage before the trip starts costing an extra $1500.

Last time we were there my kids were 2, 4 & 6. It was our first time in Disney and we did CRT diner, and stay until midnight in MK, it was great. This December we are doing Mickey's Christmas party on our arrival date. We will be a large party with 4 children. My kids loved also Chef Mickey if you don't want to do a park. We were at diner opening in Chef Mickey and it was great as the fab 5 came to great us at the entrance all together.

On arrival night we generally have dinner close or in our home resort and rarely venture into the parks. Nice way to unwind no matter how you travel to WDW and a good way to get your bearings.

It depends on the time of day. We typically take our time and ease into the Disney experience.

I'm from NJ too, and I've been pondering taking the drive, but I've got a 5 yo, 3 yo and a newborn. Will probably have to decide sometime next year for our next trip.

If you've the vacation time to spare taking Amtrak to WDW is relaxing on the Silver Meteor. The dining car and sleeping accommodations makes you feel like your vacation starts from Penn Station. Our juvenile traveling companion is DGD and she can do at least 75% of her holiday homework packet before we reach the mouse house via train travel. Since you are a family of 4-5, a family room would sleep all of you but since there are only 2 or 3 per car don't be dismayed if they are booked up. Two roomettes across from each other will suffice just as well. The attendants are super nice and the 21 hour trip will take you into a different mindset before reaching Disney.

Of course you have the plane as well and from Northern NJ the best prices and schedules to MCO can be often be found via Southwest or JetBlue. Now that WDW has initiated a parking fee for resort guests public transport may be less expensive than driving down.

Last edited:
We’re doing a two-day drive as well soon! We like to unpack...watch the Disney info channel. We usually hit Disney Springs and return to the resort for a swim. We are early risers (kiddos get up around 5:30), so we try to get to bed somewhat early!

Our arrival day is pretty low-key regardless of what time we arrive; sometimes we fly arriving early and sometimes we drive arriving later. I like to take my time unpacking (we usually stay for about 10 nights) so it takes me sometime to organize our things to make it easier in the mornings for the remainder of our stay. We then usually head to the food court area to purchase our refillable mugs, we spend time exploring the resort, and we usually eat at the QS at our resort. If we are staying at the Poly, we may hope on the monorail and eat at another resort. We usually end the evening with a swim and then head to bed early.

Last edited:
if your trip will be really busy[full of park time] this is an ideal time to have quick service at the resort and swim and enjoy the pool. It depends on how much your kids can handle and their ages. The campfire sounds FUN and is a rare affordable thing at Disney! We may try this sometime! Our kids are older so our tradition is to head to Disney Springs to let them shop and hang out while my husband and i go to Jock Lindsays hangar bar for the "Pink Drink" plus a few others.... :D

Our tradition used to be getting settled in and going to DS. Gets you amped up for being in Disney without using a ticket.

Last year was our first year on the monorail and we got in so early in the morning, we should have booked an extra ticket to take advantage of MK early. We were at the POLY, so it happened to be movie night, with the evening fireworks and piped in music - it was still magical!

This year we are at GF and will be at the resort by 11a. With MK open to 12a, we are definitely heading over to start the magic immediately. The kids have no idea we are going on this trip, I can't wait!

Our tradition used to be getting settled in and going to DS. Gets you amped up for being in Disney without using a ticket.

Last year was our first year on the monorail and we got in so early in the morning, we should have booked an extra ticket to take advantage of MK early. We were at the POLY, so it happened to be movie night, with the evening fireworks and piped in music - it was still magical!

This year we are at GF and will be at the resort by 11a. With MK open to 12a, we are definitely heading over to start the magic immediately. The kids have no idea we are going on this trip, I can't wait!

That is so exciting!!!!!!!

We always stay at monorail hotels for at least the start of our trip and although it can be tempting to visit the parks on arrival day I know that my juvenile traveling people will be tired since we normally begin traveling to Orlando in the wee hours of the morning (plane travel) so resist the temptation of cranky children by avoiding the extra stimulation the parks can bring on. Perhaps when they get older the scheduling will change.

I decided to cancel the Trails End ADR... that way if we are too tired to go we aren't being held to our deposit... if we want to do the campfire we can do CS at the chuckwagon... or hang at the hotel and watch the movie...or go to DS and eat a D'Luxe... thanks for all of your input!! I guess best advice is to take it easy and see how we feel and what we are up to!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter