Arrival Dinner - Outside of Parks

PlutoIsHerFav

Mouseketeer
We are arriving a day early. We're staying at the Hampton Inn LBV for a night before moving to our resort. We're trying to plan dinner for that evening. We're looking for something laid back, not too pricey, and won't have us getting back to the hotel late...but also good food. It'll be August so if it's a QS we'd really prefer indoor seating! One of my kids has Celiac (needs gf) for anyone with that experience. Open to any suggestions - doesn't have to be Disney property, especially if close by to the HI LBV. Right now we're considering:
  • Raglan Road (ate here a few years ago, loved it)
  • Frontera Cocina
  • Sassagoula at POFQ - would do this so my daughter can have the gf beignets
We've only ever taken the WDW bus to DS. Will we hate having to drive and find parking there? We've never been or stayed at either of the PO resorts. Are they worth exploring to make it worth a trip there for dinner?

We are arriving a day early. We're staying at the Hampton Inn LBV for a night before moving to our resort. We're trying to plan dinner for that evening. We're looking for something laid back, not too pricey, and won't have us getting back to the hotel late...but also good food. It'll be August so if it's a QS we'd really prefer indoor seating! One of my kids has Celiac (needs gf) for anyone with that experience. Open to any suggestions - doesn't have to be Disney property, especially if close by to the HI LBV. Right now we're considering:
  • Frontera Cocina
We've only ever taken the WDW bus to DS. Will we hate having to drive and find parking there? We've never been or stayed at either of the PO resorts. Are they worth exploring to make it worth a trip there for dinner?
I don't have any comments on the dining choice, but since they built the ramps driving/parking at Disney Springs is so much easier. I would not let that be a factor at all.

I think SSR has the absolute best resort QS at The Artist's Palette. So so good!

We love Sanaa at AKL and we get the bread service with an extra plate of bread as a meal.

Or, if you want to stretch your legs after traveling, walk around Disney Springs and share a couple QS meals or snacks, maybe hit the food trucks!

I think SSR has the absolute best resort QS at The Artist's Palette. So so good!

We love Sanaa at AKL and we get the bread service with an extra plate of bread as a meal.

Or, if you want to stretch your legs after traveling, walk around Disney Springs and share a couple QS meals or snacks, maybe hit the food trucks!
Oh, I hadn't thought of AKL! This is a resort I've wanted to check out. How is their QS? I think they have gf zebra domes somewhere there!

Oh, I hadn't thought of AKL! This is a resort I've wanted to check out. How is their QS? I think they have gf zebra domes somewhere there!

The qs is the Mara and, honestly, not my fave. It's ok. AKL is our favorite resort but least favorite resort qs :( You can get zebra domes there, though!! And lots of people like it. It's not terrible, but definitely not worth going just for that. Shhhhh...don't tell anyone I said this, but I don't like zebra domes either. I try one every time at the Boma buffet, but just not my jam. They might not let me go back if they find out, so please keep my secret!!! ;)

The qs is the Mara and, honestly, not my fave. It's ok. AKL is our favorite resort but least favorite resort qs :( You can get zebra domes there, though!! And lots of people like it. It's not terrible, but definitely not worth going just for that. Shhhhh...don't tell anyone I said this, but I don't like zebra domes either. I try one every time at the Boma buffet, but just not my jam. They might not let me go back if they find out, so please keep my secret!!! ;)
Thank you for the feedback on the Mara! I will keep your secret! :ssst: I have only heard the hype over the zebra dome, so I always wonder if it's as magical as people really say...same is said for the beignets!

Right now I'm thinking we'll park at POFQ, have beignets and maybe dinner, then take the boat to Disney Springs for possible dinner and to pickup Erin McKennas for my daughter's breakfast the next day!

I would personally to Raglan Roads. On one trip, we stayed at the Wyndham Garden Lake Buena Vista, which worked out great for us because we could walk to and from DS especially after staying most of the evening at Raglan Roads.

Right now I'm thinking we'll park at POFQ, have beignets and maybe dinner, then take the boat to Disney Springs for possible dinner and to pickup Erin McKennas for my daughter's breakfast the next day!
Or you could do it the other way around, park at DS and eat, if it's not too late when you're done take the boat to POFQ, grab some beignets for dessert and then take the boat back. I love the boat ride personally and POFQ and POR are 2 of my favorite resorts to wander around after AKL.

How about Beaches and Cream? It’s not a QS, but the price is reasonable for a TS. Once you’re finished eating, you can walk around the Boardwalk area.

Another thought is to head to Capt. Cook’s at the Polynesian. I think they have pretty good food there - the pork nachos are my favorite. You could hop on the monorail and ride it to the GF and Contemporary when finished eating.

One of our favorite QS at Disney Springs is D-Luxe Burger. If you want to head to DS at some point that evening, I’d give that restaurant a try.

Or you could do it the other way around, park at DS and eat, if it's not too late when you're done take the boat to POFQ, grab some beignets for dessert and then take the boat back. I love the boat ride personally and POFQ and POR are 2 of my favorite resorts to wander around after AKL.
I was only thinking parking at POFQ thinking it might be easier. Any thoughts on the logistics? DS always seems so nuts to me, but we've always taken the bus there. I think my girls would love the boat ride and it'd be relaxing to do before our crazy park days start the next day! We've never stayed at either PO resort, so I'd love to explore them a bit!

How about Beaches and Cream? It’s not a QS, but the price is reasonable for a TS. Once you’re finished eating, you can walk around the Boardwalk area.

Another thought is to head to Capt. Cook’s at the Polynesian. I think they have pretty good food there - the pork nachos are my favorite. You could hop on the monorail and ride it to the GF and Contemporary when finished eating.

One of our favorite QS at Disney Springs is D-Luxe Burger. If you want to head to DS at some point that evening, I’d give that restaurant a try.
We just snagged a B&C reservation when they opened up for August the other day! We'll be staying at the YC the second half of the trip, so was able to get it on our pool day - yay!!

I will check out Capt Cook's and D-Luxe Burger! Everyone is usually happy with a burger. :)

• Frontera Cocina
My husband has celiac disease, and we really like Boatwright's at POR. We make reservations ahead, often same-day, but there usually seems to be reasonable availability for walk-ups as well, especially right at opening (5pm). I'd wait until you're actually in town to make a reservation, so you don't get stuck with the cancellation penalty if you're running late. It's a nice 10 minute walk along the "river" to POFQ for the beignets, or you can take the boat. Another good alternative is Blaze pizza at DS; they have gluten-free dough (slight extra charge), and they will change gloves and use a dedicated GF tub of sauce to make up DH's pizza. If you're at DS, don't miss Erin McKenna's gluten-free bakery!

Have you thought about Olivia's at Old Key West?
I haven't! I am not at all familiar really with OKW. Is it worth checking out or is Olivia's pretty great?

If you are not staying at POFQ, they may not let you park there
I thought you could dine at a resort and park there for up to 3 hours to do so? I know we've done that in the past when we opted to drive to our ADR at Chef Mickey, for example. Is that not always the case?

Thank you for the feedback on the Mara! I will keep your secret! :ssst: I have only heard the hype over the zebra dome, so I always wonder if it's as magical as people really say...same is said for the beignets!

What is Erin McKennas?

I haven't! I am not at all familiar really with OKW. Is it worth checking out or is Olivia's pretty great?

I thought you could dine at a resort and park there for up to 3 hours to do so? I know we've done that in the past when we opted to drive to our ADR at Chef Mickey, for example. Is that not always the case?
I thought that was with an ADR but I could be mistaken. I know some have reported being turned at the gate at some resorts. YMMV

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter