Arizona and Utah Itineraries

WishUponAStarryNight

DIS Veteran
I've started comparing Grand Canyon itineraries for 2019. In addition to ABD, I'm looking at Tauck Bridges and Austin Adventures understanding that all of these itineraries may change once the 2019 dates are released. The current ABD itinerary has a ton more on your own time than the other itineraries. Do you see this as a positive or a negative? We haven't done a group tour yet, so I don't have experience to draw on. On the one hand, I appreciate the ability to do our own thing, but given the cost, should I expect ABD to provide guided experiences all or most of the time? Even if the itinerary calls for on your own time, does ABD have optional activities? Obviously, itinerary is important, but I want to be sure the relative value is there as well. Thanks!

At times the guides will give you some ideas on what to do on your own time. At Red Rocks horse back riding was available but you had to pay for it and that was "on your own time". I agree with you it seems over the years more "on your own time" had encroached on the trips. More than I like. Also there seems that more meals are "on your own" which adds cost to the trip. I like that most of your time on any trip is guided especially in countries that don't speak English. The time is precious and I don't feel I must act as a tour guide when I am paying for that service. We just returned from a Bridges trip to Costa Rice and there was very little "on your own time" and more important all meals B L D were included.

At times the guides will give you some ideas on what to do on your own time. At Red Rocks horse back riding was available but you had to pay for it and that was "on your own time". I agree with you it seems over the years more "on your own time" had encroached on the trips. More than I like. Also there seems that more meals are "on your own" which adds cost to the trip. I like that most of your time on any trip is guided especially in countries that don't speak English. The time is precious and I don't feel I must act as a tour guide when I am paying for that service. We just returned from a Bridges trip to Costa Rice and there was very little "on your own time" and more important all meals B L D were included.
Thanks. The 2018 itinerary has on your own time during parts of 6 days and fewer meals are covered on this itinerary than on the others I'm considering. I'm torn because I'd really like to to go Arches and this is the only itinerary that does. The Bridges tours switch hotels more frequently, but one includes the Grand Canyon Railway (which my son would absolutely love!) and both include some flightseeing. The Austin Adventures itinerary spends more time in the Grand Canyon and includes the Railway, but is a couple days shorter, so hits fewer spots overall. It's also much more active and I'm not sure how well DS will do at 8. Up to this point, I really thought ABD was the way to go for us, especially because past travelers have really enjoyed this trip and seem to think it's one of ABD's best, but I'm having a hard time justifying the cost when so much isn't included (any longer).

Thanks. The 2018 itinerary has on your own time during parts of 6 days and fewer meals are covered on this itinerary than on the others I'm considering. I'm torn because I'd really like to to go Arches and this is the only itinerary that does. The Bridges tours switch hotels more frequently, but one includes the Grand Canyon Railway (which my son would absolutely love!) and both include some flightseeing. The Austin Adventures itinerary spends more time in the Grand Canyon and includes the Railway, but is a couple days shorter, so hits fewer spots overall. It's also much more active and I'm not sure how well DS will do at 8. Up to this point, I really thought ABD was the way to go for us, especially because past travelers have really enjoyed this trip and seem to think it's one of ABD's best, but I'm having a hard time justifying the cost when so much isn't included (any longer).
That's a shame about them adding more OYO meals (I think that's mostly what's been added) because this is such a FABULOUS itinerary! The OYO time at Red Cliffs has always been there, to give you time to partake of the Lodge's activities if you want. This was my first ABD, and really hooked me on the product. It's still one of my favorites, after 9 ABDs. I honestly still think it's fabulous, and you should go for it, but I may be a little biased. :)

Sayhello

On our trip we stayed on after the end of the trip and rented a car in Grand Rapids. From there we traveled to the other National Parks in Utah ( Bryce, Capital Reef, etc.) which is an easy drive from the last stop. It was the best decision we made.

So, after expanding the options and considering other tour companies, I've narrowed my choices to ABD and Austin Adventures. I love that AA maxes out at 18 people and includes 3 guides, but Arches and Monument Valley have been high on my list of places to visit and AA doesn't include these places. I've gone through some trip reports and it sounds like the Monument Valley stop has been less than great for many folks and I wonder what the overnight on the 2018 itinerary will do for that experience. Also, I've read that ABD discourages (or flat out doesn't allow) kids from taking the hike into the Grand Canyon. Has anyone been able to do this hike with a child as young as 8? The AA itinerary includes a 1.5 mi hike down into the canyon, trail side lunch and a slow 1.5 mi hike back up for everyone who chooses to do it (no age restrictions).

We'll take our first AA trip this June and I'll likely make a final decision on which group to go with after that trip. How quickly do ABD prices tend to increase? If I book the ABD trip on opening day and decide to go with AA, can I move my deposit to another trip or keep it on hold until the 2020 trips come out? Does it make any sense to do this to avoid price increases for a month or two?

Thanks!

So, after expanding the options and considering other tour companies, I've narrowed my choices to ABD and Austin Adventures. I love that AA maxes out at 18 people and includes 3 guides, but Arches and Monument Valley have been high on my list of places to visit and AA doesn't include these places. I've gone through some trip reports and it sounds like the Monument Valley stop has been less than great for many folks and I wonder what the overnight on the 2018 itinerary will do for that experience. Also, I've read that ABD discourages (or flat out doesn't allow) kids from taking the hike into the Grand Canyon. Has anyone been able to do this hike with a child as young as 8? The AA itinerary includes a 1.5 mi hike down into the canyon, trail side lunch and a slow 1.5 mi hike back up for everyone who chooses to do it (no age restrictions).

We'll take our first AA trip this June and I'll likely make a final decision on which group to go with after that trip. How quickly do ABD prices tend to increase? If I book the ABD trip on opening day and decide to go with AA, can I move my deposit to another trip or keep it on hold until the 2020 trips come out? Does it make any sense to do this to avoid price increases for a month or two?

Thanks!
Personally, I absolutely *LOVED* the time in Monument Valley! I loved seeing the amazing land formations that all looked so familiar because I'd seen them in dozens of old movies. I can't imagine what people are complaining about! I never heard any complaints, myself. It doesn't *sound* like the itinerary had changed much up until 2019, where you now spend the night there. Although, now that I look again, it *does* now say "climate controlled mini-coach", so maybe that's the problem. It used to be in large jeep with no windows. Maybe being isolated in a climate-controlled mini-bus makes the experience not as fun...

I can't comment specifically on the hike into the Grand Canyon thing because we didn't have any kids on our trip. But hiking into the Canyon is not an included part of the ABD. Those of us who did the hike, did it during the OYO time. (And there's only so far you can go during the OYO time). How can ABD possibly not allow you to take a hike with your kids during on your own time? That makes no sense. I assume you're talking about the Bright Angel Trail? It's not that difficult a hike, although most people don't realize it will take you twice as long to come back up as it does to go down. I also can't imagine why they'd discourage you from doing it, unless they knew you didn't have the proper footwear or enough water. That really just does not make any sense.

Price increase *really* depends on the trip. If it's near a holiday or a newer trip, chances are good the prices will go up pretty quickly. Plus, any early booking discounts they might offer generally get snatched up pretty quickly (they tend to only offer a limited number per departure). You can move your deposit to another trip, but they won't keep it on "hold". You have to apply it to a trip that is on their current schedule. Which does cause people to move it to another trip until the schedule for the trip they want is announced. (And you will lose any early booking discount you may have gotten if you move your trip, unless the new trip still has an early booking discount available. The discount is not transferable. Whether it's worth it or not really depends on whether you can afford to have 10% of the trip price tied up with ABD for a couple of years or not.

ETA: OK, so once again, I re-read the new itinerary, and a hike with the Guides is now an optional activity for the OYO time. I wonder if they keep a really fast pace, since they don't have that much time for the hike? You can always do the hike on your own, but I understand that that's not the same as doing it with an Adventure Guide.

Sayhello

Last edited:

I agree with Sayhello. I enjoyed the Monument Valley part of the trip, although we weren't there very long, so I'm not sure what you'll do with the longer stay that's now included. It was very dusty and we were given bandanas to cover our nose/mouth. Maybe that is what people don't like. That did bother me. I thought it was very cool that everything was so familiar, even though we had never been there before. And it's beautiful, as well.

The guides didn't discourage us from hiking into the canyon (my kid was 10 at the time), but we really didn't have enough time.

We just did this trip last July. We loved Monument Valley however we didn't have an overnight stay there. I am glad we didn't. I really wasn't impressed with the hotel choice they changed to this year. There wasn't much else to do there after visiting Monument Valley. I was glad we had the 3 nights in Moab vs new itinerary.

On our trip the hike into the Grand Canyon was done during OYO time. Our guides just said if you wanted to hike it then meet up with them at a certain time. Several children hiked. They will stress that it's mandatory to have 2 bottles of water for each hiker.

We just did this trip last July. We loved Monument Valley however we didn't have an overnight stay there. I am glad we didn't. I really wasn't impressed with the hotel choice they changed to this year. There wasn't much else to do there after visiting Monument Valley. I was glad we had the 3 nights in Moab vs new itinerary.
I kind of have to agree here. Besides a tiny gift shop, I didn't think there was much there. But maybe ABD has arranged something? Or there was something we weren't told about because it would take too long to explore?

On our trip the hike into the Grand Canyon was done during OYO time. Our guides just said if you wanted to hike it then meet up with them at a certain time. Several children hiked. They will stress that it's mandatory to have 2 bottles of water for each hiker.
*This*! When I did the hike into the Canyon, I was passed by a Ranger with a seriously HUMONGOUS water skin on her back. I stopped to chat with her, and apparently tons of people head out on this hike like they are going on a stroll, with ridiculous footwear and no water at all, and they're constantly having to rescue these folks. God bless those Rangers!

Sayhello

Last edited:
Thank you all! This is very helpful. Some of the trip reports are older (and not on the DIS) so things certainly may have changed. Some of the complaints about the Monument Valley stop were that the Gouldings folks who ran the tour were rude, lunch was delayed and things generally were not very well organized. Perhaps it's improved over time. I'm curious to hear how the overnight changes the experience there. Hopefully, we'll get some early reviews. Good to know that the more common experience is that kids are not restricted from participating in hikes into the canyon.

Thank you all! This is very helpful. Some of the trip reports are older (and not on the DIS) so things certainly may have changed. Some of the complaints about the Monument Valley stop were that the Gouldings folks who ran the tour were rude, lunch was delayed and things generally were not very well organized. Perhaps it's improved over time. I'm curious to hear how the overnight changes the experience there. Hopefully, we'll get some early reviews. Good to know that the more common experience is that kids are not restricted from participating in hikes into the canyon.

I will tell you that the people in Monument Valley were very friendly. The only rude person we ran across was the guy you take pictures with the horse but he is not associated with them. Our lunch was in monument valley under a tent. They service authentic southwest food. It was very good. However it was also very hot. I don't like to eat when it's not air conditioned. LOL

Actually, I took this tour in 2008, and it was fantastic then. The folks at Gouldings were wonderful, and the food, while simple, was very good. Perhaps it's degraded with time?

I will tell you that the people in Monument Valley were very friendly. The only rude person we ran across was the guy you take pictures with the horse but he is not associated with them. Our lunch was in monument valley under a tent. They service authentic southwest food. It was very good. However it was also very hot. I don't like to eat when it's not air conditioned. LOL
When did you go? When I went in 2008, we ate inside the restaurant. A tent does not sound very appealing. But I was there in May; maybe if they're really busy they do the tent?

Sayhello

Actually, I took this tour in 2008, and it was fantastic then. The folks at Gouldings were wonderful, and the food, while simple, was very good. Perhaps it's degraded with time?

When did you go? When I went in 2008, we ate inside the restaurant. A tent does not sound very appealing. But I was there in May; maybe if they're really busy they do the tent?

Sayhello

We went last July. Our food was set up right inside Monument Valley where you get off the bus/transportation to take pictures. It was VERY hot and dusty but comfortable(if that makes any sense). It was only 100 degree outside and full sunshine. I wish I knew how to post pictures or I would.

In a tent??????? WOW, when we traveled there it was 110++++ degrees and the only good spot that day was inside the restaurant in the AC. It is quite desolate and besides the beautiful rock formations it would be a quiet night.

In a tent??????? WOW, when we traveled there it was 110++++ degrees and the only good spot that day was inside the restaurant in the AC. It is quite desolate and besides the beautiful rock formations it would be a quiet night.

Well maybe more like a pool building with open doors. The food was very good. Just after being in the hot and dusty valley we were all surprised it was outside. LOL It was still very good. After going into the restaurant to grab a drink when we returned I was happy we had a more authentic experience vs the diner. However it was HOT...

The 2018 itinerary says that lunch is at the restaurant and dinner is an authentic cookout - maybe the best of both worlds? Lunch in the A/C and an authentic dinner under the stars. Sounds pretty good to me! I'm really hoping for a trip report or two from the earlier part of this year's upcoming trips.

The 2018 itinerary says that lunch is at the restaurant and dinner is an authentic cookout - maybe the best of both worlds? Lunch in the A/C and an authentic dinner under the stars. Sounds pretty good to me! I'm really hoping for a trip report or two from the earlier part of this year's upcoming trips.
That *does* sound like the best of both worlds! :)

Sayhello

June 2017, we did Tauck Bridges London / Paris tour. Blown away by service, hotels, guides, and private transfers with Tauck.

We chose ABD over Tauck for upcoming Easter holiday Arizona / Utah trip simply because Tauck included Las Vegas which we visited previously with our teen.

I can’t comment on ABD tour yet as we leave in a few weeks. However, one major difference for us is the airport transfers. Tauck uses private transfers which leave arrival and departures completely up to you. You can arrive a few days early and still get transferred no problem. Disney mandates arriving and departing within a limited time frame so that all guests can be transferred at one time. We tried booking a flight home that was 20minutes prior to the 11am mandates time and was told to either book another flight (which meant us being at airport from 11am-4pm) or paying for a private 2 hour transfer which we did.

I agree with you about the transfers. We just did Tauck family to Costa Rica and our private transfer to the airport waiting for us at 5:30 a.m.. Return at your pleasure is a giant plus.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!