Aren't these rooms guaranteed for ECV?

Simba's Mom

<font color=green>everything went to "H*** in a ha
Yesterday I made a reservation at OKW, which only has 3 elevator buildings. So I specifically told the CM that I need either the first floor or one of the elevator buildings because I'd be on an ECV. However, she insisted that it's "only" a request, not a guarantee. Really? I thought that if I had an ECV, getting such a room, either first floor or elevator building was a guarantee for medical reasons, not simply a request. I thought that might be a requirement of the ADA-I can't walk up stairs.

I have no idea, but just thinking what a mess with the privacy laws. There are people who use a EVC only at disney because of distance walking and then there are people who use one all the time. I'm guessing disney can't ask why you have one.

Did you specify it is a “medical request?” Sometimes the specific wording makes a difference and leaves no room for misinterpretation. I believe “medical request” is given priority as a request, and they will do everything possible to grant the request, but it is still just a request as specific rooms are not blocked off with requests.

SueM has posted about this:
https://www.disboards.com/threads/old-key-west.3625989/#post-58052014

Enjoy your vacation!

Did you specify it is a “medical request?” Sometimes the specific wording makes a difference and leaves no room for misinterpretation. I believe “medical request” is given priority as a request, and they will do everything possible to grant the request, but it is still just a request as specific rooms are not blocked off with requests.

That's exactly what I tried to do. My mistake was that I told her that I'd be using an ECV, THEN asked her "So isn't that a 'medical request' necessity?" I was so shocked that it wasn't, that it was "just a request, not a guarantee", even though I didn't know how I'd manage getting upstairs with an ECV, especially since I can't do stairs. I should have just told her "medical necessity-I can't do stairs" and left out the fact that I'd have an ECV. I assumed that would explain things.

no it is not a guarantee. you need to book a HA room to guarantee first floor or elevator access. not even requesting 'medical necessity' on a reservation is 100% effective. it just bumps you to the top of the list when they start assigning rooms ahead of time.

HA is definitely the way to go..

We have experienced miscommunication from booking to arriving at the resort and the room not being accessible
It was resolved eventually-but we had to spend our first night in a studio when we had a 2 bed villa booked.

As others have said, you have to book as a "medical necessity", we had an ECV and were assigned the second floor our first time in a studio.
Now we know better and book a handicapp room, we just had a 1 br and were on the first floor not HH, but near the tennis courts.
If you are booking with points and specify medical necessity you might not be near the hospitality house. It was ok for us.

I think their general thinking on this is that if a person is in an ECV then they are mobile in some way. The truly immobile(wheelchair) would get priority. I completely understand the frustration but with the sheer amount of people that rent ECVs just for their Disney trips, I can see them having issues trying to get everyone in the type of room they request. Plus they are limited in the Handicapped accessible rooms so those should be for those who are truly immobile. Maybe they need to convert more rooms.

I doubt that Disney makes any assumption regarding ECV users; I personally use an ECV in my daily life regardless of where I am in the world, and as my condition continues to deteriorate, I now require the use of an HA room. If an HA room is not available for me to book, then I can't stay on property at WDW.

Although it is true that many people use an ECV only at WDW, there is a portion of the population that uses ECVs as a personal mobility device in their daily lives.

Tell them is a medical request that you need first floor
This doesn't always work as Mrsjvb posted. I was told that you have to book a medical needs room thru member services
special needs department. Now we just book handicapped rooms. Too much of a hassle.

The issue is, unless it is a accessible room, rooms are not blocked off at the time of booking. So there is NO way for them to know that the type of room you need will be available when you get there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter