Are you traveling to see the eclipse?

For all the eclipse viewers, what glasses did you buy? I've been looking at ebay, but our eyes aren't something I want to take a chance on. I'm afraid of buying something that may not protect us completely. These will be one time use, so I'd like to keep the price down, but I don't want to take a chance on buying the wrong thing. Suggestions?
I have some that I bought at the local observatory (Griffith) during a previous eclipse. There's a list somewhere of "NASA approved" sites that you order from, but at the time I didn't want to chance them not being delivered so I figured Griffith Observatory was reputable enough that they'd be safe. They sold out a few days before and people were selling them on the side of the road at a huge mark-up. I cringed thinking about chancing it.

I have some that I bought at the local observatory (Griffith) during a previous eclipse. There's a list somewhere of "NASA approved" sites that you order from, but at the time I didn't want to chance them not being delivered so I figured Griffith Observatory was reputable enough that they'd be safe. They sold out a few days before and people were selling them on the side of the road at a huge mark-up. I cringed thinking about chancing it.
Thanks. I'll look for that list.

We are leaving WDW that morning and are hoping to get to SC to see it. If we are in the middle of gridlock, we'll miss it. We'll take a chance!

This is making me a bit nervous. We're driving from southern Ontario (Canada) to WDW, leaving on the 21st. We plan to stop in Charlotte NC or Columbia SC for the night around 6/7pm. I know that's after the eclipse, but am I going to have issues getting a hotel room? Or are they enough off the main path?

This is making me a bit nervous. We're driving from southern Ontario (Canada) to WDW, leaving on the 21st. We plan to stop in Charlotte NC or Columbia SC for the night around 6/7pm. I know that's after the eclipse, but am I going to have issues getting a hotel room? Or are they enough off the main path?
If you don't already have a reservation in Columbia, SC, I'd make different plans. It appears I was lucky to snag a fairly last minute cancellation a couple days ago. I've been looking for other options from Miami, FL to Columbia, SC in the 100% eclipse cone & only found one room that was $629 a night. Obviously, I kept what I had. Charlotte, NC may be a different story. I haven't checked there. Good luck.

I'm thinking maybe a last minute trip to Oregon, but it's probably not going to be easy. At this point the only chance I'd get for lodging is to find some government campsite that doesn't take reservations and try to snag a site. I found this info:

http://www.oregonlive.com/trending/2017/07/10_eclipse_tips_from_oregon_agencies.html

So at least one county in Oregon is bringing in temporary cell towers to deal with the anticipated demand for cellular communications.

For all the eclipse viewers, what glasses did you buy? I've been looking at ebay, but our eyes aren't something I want to take a chance on. I'm afraid of buying something that may not protect us completely. These will be one time use, so I'd like to keep the price down, but I don't want to take a chance on buying the wrong thing. Suggestions?

Informative article.

http://k2radio.com/wyoming-authorities-warn-public-of-fake-eclipse-glasses/

Public health officials in Wyoming are warning the public to avoid using fake protective glasses designed for use during the total solar eclipse which will pass over the state next month.

It's a rare event that will have millions of people staring into the sun. Protective eyewear is a must -- looking into the sun with the naked eye can cause retinal damage known as solar retinopathy, the results of which can be permanent.

And while quite a few manufacturers are producing glasses or other eyewear to help people view the eclipse safely, others are putting out subpar products in an effort to rip off eclipse viewers.

Hot Springs County Public Health has released a list of reputable manufacturers and dealers of solar viewers by the American Astronomical Society. As of July 27, these are the only brands genuinely certified by the Society:

• American Paper Optics
  • APM Telescopes Sunfilter Glasses
  • Baader Planetarium -AstroSolar Silver/Gold film only --
    (NOT AstroSolar Safety Film and AstroSolar Photo Film)
  • Celestron EclipSmart Glasses & Viewers
  • DayStar Solar Glasses
  • Explore Scientific Solar Eclipse Sun Catcher Glasses
  • Lunt Solar Systems SUNsafe SUNglasses
  • Meade Instruments EclipseView Glasses & Viewers
  • Rainbow Symphony
  • Thousand Oaks Optical
  • TSE 17

These organizations sell safe glasses:

• Astronomical Society of the Pacific
  • Astronomy Magazine
  • Eclipse2017.org
  • GreatAmericanEclipse.com
  • Sky & Telescope Magazine
Solar viewers sold in these stores can be purchased with confidence:

• Kirklands
  • Lowe's
  • Menards
  • Walmart
As with virtually any other product, numerous outlets are selling eclipse eyewear on Amazon.com. According to Hot Springs County Public Health, these are the only reputable Amazon sellers at this time:

• 123 Sales
  • 3Dstereo.com
  • Educational Innovations
  • Electronic Analyst
  • Firefly Buys (FFB)
  • Soluna/GSM Sales
NASA says looking directly at the sun without protective eyewear is only safe during the brief "totality" phase, when the moon completely blocks the sun's face. That's only going to happen along a narrow path.

Anyone within that narrow path can remove the protective eyewear only when the moon entirely covers the sun's face. After experiencing totality, as soon as the sun begins to reappear. put the solar viewer back on to view the remaining partial phases.

At the beginning of the eclipse, stand still and cover your eyes with the protective eyewear before looking at the sun. When finished, turn away before removing the eyewear -- do not take it off while looking at the sun.

Homemade filters or ordinary sunglasses will not provide protection, even very dark ones.

Eclipse viewers should always inspect eyewear before use. If scratched or damaged, throw it away and do not use it. Always supervise children using solar filters.

NASA says no one should look at the partially eclipsed sun through an unfiltered camera, telescope, binoculars or other optical device. Importantly, neither should folks look at the sun through any optical device while using eclipse glasses or a hand-held solar filter, as the concentrated solar rays will damage the filter and enter the viewer's eyes, causing serious injury.

Anyone who wants to use a camera, telescope, binoculars or other optical device to view the eclipse should seek expert advice from an astronomer beforehand.

People shouldn't let the warnings scare them off.

"A solar eclipse is one of nature's grandest spectacles," NASA says. "By following these simple rules, you can safely enjoy the view and be rewarded with memories to last a lifetime."

Questions should be directed to a qualified eyecare professional.

The plan is to be mobile based on the weather forecast 24 hours prior. Get in the car and head for the best chance of clear skies.

The traffic is the biggest concern. I can image being in the path of totality while stuck on some highway in a massive traffic jam. Don't like the traffic part but it will still be cool to experience the eclipse -wherever!

A local science museum is selling the Eclipse Shades glasses from Rainbow Symphony at their gift shop. They're $2.50 each (minus my membership discount) and they're printed with the name of the museum on each earpiece. Online they're only selling them in 4-packs.

http://store.lawrencehallofscience.org/Item/eclipse-glasses-4-pack

Eclipse_Glasses_1.jpg

I heard that Google is underwriting the distribution of 2 million eclipse glasses at local public libraries through the Gordon and Betty Moore Foundation.

https://www.space.com/37310-public-libraries-give-away-eclipse-glasses.html

Rainbow Symphony seems to be the big name in these things. Mostly it's the throwaway paper style at $1.95 each plus shipping, but they also have these cards with a viewing window, as well as plastic ones that are more permanent. They also have some that are made of different materials that are supposed to give a truer view as well as ones made from real welders glass.

Apparently they're making so many of them that they were selling overruns from custom production at 45 cents each.

https://www.rainbowsymphonystore.co...ar-viewers/products/eclipse-glasses-overstock

Yes! We will be headed to our camper in the North GA mountains, right in the path of the eclipse. We'll be right on a mountaintop, so hopefully the weather will hold and we'll be able to see it. Even if we can't, we'll still have fun being in the mountains.

I didn't know about this until my parents were talking about it when I was home visiting them last month. They live in southern Oregon, so it had been all over their news about campgrounds at the coast being booked full, etc. I live in Denver, so it's only started getting more regular coverage recently here. I'd have to drive up to Wyoming I think to get the best view, and I'm just not that into it to do that. I'll look forward to hearing all about it on the news though and watching the videos online!

I didn't know about this until my parents were talking about it when I was home visiting them last month. They live in southern Oregon, so it had been all over their news about campgrounds at the coast being booked full, etc. I live in Denver, so it's only started getting more regular coverage recently here. I'd have to drive up to Wyoming I think to get the best view, and I'm just not that into it to do that. I'll look forward to hearing all about it on the news though and watching the videos online!

There's going to be a partial eclipse through the lower 48. Denver is going to be at about 92% which is still pretty impressive and worth getting viewing glasses.

There's going to be a partial eclipse through the lower 48. Denver is going to be at about 92% which is still pretty impressive and worth getting viewing glasses.

Hmm... I'll have to look into the glasses. I will be at work - what time of day is it happening here in Denver? I work outside, and we have a lot of clear days here, so maybe I'll get to enjoy it after all.

I ordered my eclipse glasses (4 for $5 free shipping) from PBS or the National Science Foundation or some (I thought) legitimate site. That was three weeks ago. I think I just donated $5 to the National Science Foundation or whatever.

Today I was at Walmart in Sullivan, MO (which is in the path of Totality) and bought what they said were eclipse-safe glasses ($1 each). I gave them a tryout when I got home and took a peek at the sun, they seem to be legit. The sun was a pale orange disc, didn't hurt my eyes at all.

I ordered my eclipse glasses (4 for $5 free shipping) from PBS or the National Science Foundation or some (I thought) legitimate site. That was three weeks ago. I think I just donated $5 to the National Science Foundation or whatever.

Today I was at Walmart in Sullivan, MO (which is in the path of Totality) and bought what they said were eclipse-safe glasses ($1 each). I gave them a tryout when I got home and took a peek at the sun, they seem to be legit. The sun was a pale orange disc, didn't hurt my eyes at all.

Do you have a brand name? Yeah - that's what most of these things look like. Everything looks black but a very bright light will produce an orange color. There are some safe ones out there that have a more natural look, but they're more expensive.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter