Are you missing/craving any of the food?

cruisehopeful

DIS Veteran
I know lots of people love the food at Disneyland. I'm just wondering if it is really the food itself (as in you'd order it for home delivery) or if it is the experience and atmosphere of the parks.

I had days where I wanted some Disneyland popcorn. I would have driven 90 miles to get some. I actually don't waste my time on any other popcorn anymore. For me it's Disneyland popcorn or no popcorn.

The only other things I've genuinely craved were a couple items I had from Crafstman. The cauliflower grilled cheese sandwich and the breakfast avocado toast. I have had true cravings for those and would happily eat them/order them from anywhere. I did try to recreated the avocado toast and while it was good, I don't enjoy putting food together so me doing the work took away some of the satisfaction of eating it.

I haven't really craved/missed anything else. I've asked my husband to get me a Mickey pretzel a couple times (knowing it was an impossible task), but I just enjoy having it. I don't miss the taste or the texture and prefer pretzels from many other places.

I really want a Disneyland popcorn!

I’d also really love a Dole whip. I’m pretty sure our local frozen yogurt place has it or something like it, but I want the real thing AT a Disney park.

And sometimes I crave Mickey waffles. This might be because we have a replica magnet we bought several years ago of one on our fridge. I know you can buy the Mickey waffle iron, but again....it needs to be at Disney, for me.

I miss Disney pretzels so much. I love most soft pretzels, but there's something about the Disney magic that makes them so much better at DL.

I'm missing the forrest mushroom pizza from Craftsman like crazy too. We've tried replicating it, but it's not quite the same (although still tasty).

I just found out that Smart & Final stores have the churros they sell in the parks. The brand is called Tio Pepe. I think I may be making the trek to Smart & Final this week to test out how they compare at home. But then I'm torn on whether or not it's a responsible choice for my waist line to have a 25 count pack of churros in my freezer.

Yes and no... a lot of the food was just way too sweet for my taste (they were designed for Instagram), or I have better options nearby to home. Part of the Disney food experience is actually being in the park. Some exceptions:

1) Dole Whip - you can get this a lot of other places, and we've recreated it at home pretty well since they released the recipe...but it's just not the same!​
2) Popcorn - This has been a years long process for me, we've honed in on the coconut oil/artificial butter flavor + Flavacol, but the proprietary mix is a tough one to crack. I've gotten close, but still not the same =/​
3) Jolly Holiday Combo - grilled cheese + tomato soup. Okay, I don't know why I put this here, this is easily the easiest thing to recreate at home (literally bread and cheese + boxed tomato soup from Trader Joe's or something). I miss it, and this is my post, so I'm putting it here. Hahah.​

Yes!
I am missing the churros, popcorn, and raspberry dole whip (especially since it's warming up outside)

I'm also missing Trader Sams, Carthay Lounge, and Lamplight Lounge for their drinks. My friends and I would always get to the park early, Ride a bunch of rides then relax with some drinks midday then watch the shows...*sigh*

Yes and no... a lot of the food was just way too sweet for my taste (they were designed for Instagram),
Omg yes! I had to avoid eating a lot of the sweet treats because they would cause me to get so sick! Like having to go to the first aid station sick! They are good for pictures but not for eating. lol

I'm missing the glazed almonds. Haven't had them in over 4 years and I'm only now missing them.

I have a recipe and will make them as soon as my ordered groceries arrive.

I miss the Egg and Bacon Croissant at Jolly Holiday, hot fudge sundae at Clarabelle's, Dole Whip, corn dog, beignets, fried chicken at Plaza Inn, breakfast at Carnation Cafe, anything at Earl of Sandwich, shrimp and grits at Ralph Brennan's, the grey stuff, Story Teller's dinner buffet, and getting a sweet from La Brea to eat the next morning. As you can see, I eat my way through DLR.

I miss the chocolate peanut butter sandwiches. I have two in my freezer but who knows when I'm getting back to Disneyland so I will continue to hoard them a little longer before I break down and eat them. But I tell you what I'm bringing back home from Disneyland next time...yep chocolate peanut butter sandwiches, maybe 2 or maybe 20.

Raspberry Mickey Macaron !!! Chocolate Caramel Marshmallow Wand !!!
ok, yes, I love the sweets !!! :P

My grandpa misses the mickey gingerbread cookies. I always would buy them for him whenever I would go. Last month he was all "This is the longest I've been without my cookies"...broke my heart! Those will be the first things I buy when the parks reopen!

I miss so many food things. I think I may go nuts on the first day I go back and gain 20 lbs.
What my kids and I talk about the most, blue milk (my son and I have really grown to love this), popcorn, mickey beignets, reds apple freeze and the pretzel bites from cozy cone, soft serve ice cream as I walk around the park on a hot afternoon, the list goes on and on.

I'm so hungry now.

I just found out that Smart & Final stores have the churros they sell in the parks. The brand is called Tio Pepe. I think I may be making the trek to Smart & Final this week to test out how they compare at home. But then I'm torn on whether or not it's a responsible choice for my waist line to have a 25 count pack of churros in my freezer.

I can confirm. We bought the box of 25 last weekend. We had a Disneyland day on Memorial Day and made Mickey Beignets, had pretzels, ate these churros, played Disneyland Adventures, played Disney Parks Monopoly and watched some ride videos together.

These churros made in an Air Fryer tastes exactly like the Disneyland ones. We are huge churro fans and have tried them everywhere (including Costco) and nothing compares.

I can confirm. We bought the box of 25 last weekend. We had a Disneyland day on Memorial Day and made Mickey Beignets, had pretzels, ate these churros, played Disneyland Adventures, played Disney Parks Monopoly and watched some ride videos together.

These churros made in an Air Fryer tastes exactly like the Disneyland ones. We are huge churro fans and have tried them everywhere (including Costco) and nothing compares.
That sounds like an amazing day! You talked me into getting some. I agree about Costco churros (or churros elsewhere) not being the same.

Did you make your own pretzels, or use a frozen brand?

That sounds like an amazing day! You talked me into getting some. I agree about Costco churros (or churros elsewhere) not being the same.

Did you make your own pretzels, or use a frozen brand?

Just wanted to jump in here. My son makes homemade pretzels and uses Alton Browns recipe from food network. They are AMAZING and put Mickey pretzels to shame. You need real pretzel salt, though, and lots of baking soda for the boiling portion of the recipe. You can buy pretzel salt on Amazon.

Just wanted to jump in here. My son makes homemade pretzels and uses Alton Browns recipe from food network. They are AMAZING and put Mickey pretzels to shame. You need real pretzel salt, though, and lots of baking soda for the boiling portion of the recipe. You can buy pretzel salt on Amazon.
Thanks for sharing that! Alton Brown is amazing and I definitely trust his recipes. His pizza dough recipe is my go-to. I'll have to order some pretzel salt now.

I would love to be sitting in Carnation Cafe, nibbling on a platter of seasoned French fries and fried pickles while patiently waiting for my meatloaf with a side of garlic potatoes and vegetables to be placed right in front of me. I love the baked potato soup from here, but, I seem to always order the meatloaf. It is so delicious. It doesn't hurt that the family isn't bickering over anything (you know how kids get). Having the parade go by, makes it more enjoyable. I do miss Disneyland.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter