Are you kidding me! The DIS WISHES/HAPPILY EVER AFTER compare

I watched a bit of HEA online last Friday night but then decided not to ruin it for myself since we are visiting next month. We can't wait to see the show and compare for ourselves

I have not been to WDW in almost 10 years, but Wishes still gives me goosebumps/makes me teary eyed when I see video of it, because it is such "classic Disney magic" to me.

I have not seen all of HEA yet because I don't want to spoil it too much for when we go in November, but even just the short clips I have seen give me goosebumps. I looooove the theme song. It's not classic disney magic. It's something fun, exciting, and bombastic! It's definitely awe-inspiring and perfect for the next generation.

I LOVE Wishes with all my heart. I've seen it more times than I can count. It's always been my favorite way to end a day at the Magic Kingdom (other than Spectromagic, of course, but that's another discussion...). Every time I watched Wishes, I would be in tears. I would leave the park feeling like I'd rolled in pixie dust.

In short, Happily Ever After did not impress me. I don't find it inspiring. I almost find it annoying, to be completely honest. I'm willing to give it another shot, but there were so many issues.

I loved how Wishes left so much to your imagination (understanding also that the technology was not there at the time the show was created). It was fun to just have the fireworks and the colors on the castle to represent the stories. When the Genie says "hello people! Up here!" you can really imagine him in the sky above the castle. The fireworks also compliment the music perfectly and are more noticeable without the castle being the main focus of the show. Don't get me wrong, I'm okay with projections (they work really well in for Star Wars: Galactic Spectacular at Hollywood Studios), but I don't think they worked here.

Wishes also utilized far less Disney characters than Happily Ever After does. The amount of characters (and particular characters) that appear in Happily Ever After make the show feel like a gimmick. It's a way to stuff as many Disney characters in one place as possible. There were not as many characters available when Wishes was created, but even then, there are only a handful that are heard in the show. I liked that Wishes was understated in so many ways (even if there was a spectacular grand finale at the end). Simplicity is definitely an art.

Another issue I have is the music. Happily Ever After doesn't sound like Disney. It sounds like a (hastily written) pop song that was stuck in to make the show more relevant. I will give HEA some props for including Tarzan and Tangled, because I love all those soundtracks (side note: Disneyland's Fantasmic now includes Tangled and it's AWESOME). Wishes utilized classic Disney songs that all blend seamlessly together with an arrangement a nursery rhyme that we all know and love. Wishes sounds like Disney. Happily Ever After doesn't.

Lastly, if something isn't broken, don't fix it. Wishes could have run at least another 5 or 6 years without needing to be updated. I would have thought that they would wait until the 50th to create a new fireworks show specially for that year. Maybe they still will and we won't have to deal with HEA much longer.

This show will not be on my "must do" list for my upcoming trips. I'll get some extra rides in while everyone else is occupied!:P

PS-with all the characters that were crammed into HEA, where was Beauty and the Beast?

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but aside from the soundtrack there wasn’t much to draw me to Wishes. I feel Happily Ever After is the superior successor. Wishes pits to much emphasis on believing everything happens if you simply wish upon a Star. Happily ever After embraces more empowered stories where heroes struggle and strive for their dreams. Far more empowering and inspirational. That is just my two cents and I respect those who miss Wishes.

I would take Wishes over HEA every day.

While I think the castle projections are impressive, I don’t like them. Cinderella castle is beautiful on its own and has now been demoted to a movie screen. In my opinion, of course. To me, parts of HEA seem like “you know this movie! And this movie! And this movie!”

Don’t get me wrong. I had some emotional moments seeing HEA, particularly towards the end. But I very much miss the beautiful simplicity of Wishes and seeing the fireworks framing the castle without being distracted by images on it. I also miss the way Wishes made me feel.

I had to see Wishes in MK on every trip. HEA is one and done for me personally (but I will stake out spots with my kids if it is something they want to do.) Otherwise, if I see it again, it will be from the comfort of Poly beach.

To each their own.

Last edited:
I would rather the fireworks of Wishes but hated that song. Always thought it was creepy. I prefer the soundtrack of HEA.

I can't say I agree with some of the criticisms of HEA. I have a connection to Wishes as well, it was brand new on my first trip to Disney and has stayed throughout my trips almost ever year since but I don't think nostalgia should create a bias towards something new. I think if we open our hearts and let Happily Ever After in, it can find a place in our hearts like Wishes had.

I wanted to like HEA. But to me it seems forced and almost cold. The only good thing is Tink still flying. I always made it a point to see Wishes as many times as I could during a trip. HEA is a if I happen to be in the park show. Disney could have done much much better. Very disappointed with it.

Still waiting to see HEA, but I have watched it on Youtube and I think I'm going to love it. However, I can listen to the Wishes soundtrack over and over and never tire of it. HEA soundtrack...not so much. I will forever miss Wishes.

Wishes was clearly Disney magic. The stuff Disney dreams are made of. Happily Ever After is technology driven. No magic, no pixie dust for me. The new show is nice, but no tears, no emotions running for me. I thought it would be moving.... not in the least. I wanted to love it. I wanted to get teary-eyed and be excited to see it again in a few days. Nope. I have no issue with change. I am more than happy for Disney to give us something new. Not this time. I was not "disappointed" at all, but I just do not "love" it. And no Mickey, Minnie, etc?? Too much about technology and not enough pointing at the core of that Disney magic.

Having said that, this show will be loved by many. I think kids will especially like it with the familiar faces and voices. Over time, when the shock of change wears off, it will be accepted and loved by many and of course by those who are new to Disney. It is still a great show...I personally do not feel that Disney "hit it out of the park".
Wishes did have something magical and something nostalgic that HEA doesn't have. HEA seems to be more of a high tech infomercial.

I remember people complaining about Wishes when it was the brand new show. (I have no idea if these boards existed then. It was pre-dis for me for sure)
I think it’s similar to everyone, regardless of age saying “SNL was awesome when I was in high school! It’s a terrible show now”. It becomes more about all the great memories you associated with the old show, than the actual show itself.
I was sad to see wishes go, but I was ready for something new.
I love the new show, my fear was that they were going to chintz out on the fireworks, but they didn’t, and I agree with a previous poster who said the new message is more empowered. I’m a fan.
At first, I found the projections plus fireworks to be a bit of sensory overload, but it kinda lends itself to multiple viewings, you will always notice something new.

I remember people complaining about Wishes when it was the brand new show. (I have no idea if these boards existed then. It was pre-dis for me for sure)

Really? I had seen Fantasy in the Sky for years and made many memories watching it - I loved it. But when Wishes started, I was like now THIS is magic and I instantly loved it over Fantasy in the Sky, even though Fantasy was nostalgic for me. The first time my family saw Wishes we said - “I hope they never replace this one.” Every trip following we had to see it, non negotiable. Disney is going to have a tough time topping Wishes for me. HEA didn’t do it for me, unfortunately. Of course, I went in sad that Wishes was gone - but when Fantasy in the Sky ended, I walked into Wishes feeling the same way and Wishes blew me away.

HEA is obviously more advanced technologically, but I honestly don’t reallg care about that stuff. All I know is how they made me feel as a whole and for me Wishes is #1, Fantasy in the Sky #2 and HEA #3.

I guess everyone is different!

Last edited:
Wishes/HEA year over retrospective:
Wishes truly was a great show, the music stuck in your head through the entire monorail/bus/boat ride back to your WDW resort and then as you lay down your head, it lulled you to sleep. “Make a wish, and do as dreamers do...” *eyes closed to dreamland* However, it didn’t stick enough, you can remember the fireworks a little, maybe when tink flew out of the castle or when the big one went off at the crescendo of the chorus at breakfast the next day. All you had was the fireworks and sound to remind you of what you saw and want to remember. And as many said on this thread, it doesn’t resonate with really life. You can’t wish success, you can’t wish a happily ever after. You go make it. You can go the distance. HEA has the music that you will remember just as wishes, however, it will carry with you longer. Not as a bad ear worm like small world or imagination. You can listen to this crossingthe finish line of a wdw marathon. You can listen to it when charging forward toward a life long goal and finally accomplishing it.
Wishes shall always be in our hearts and minds. The music will live on through our many outlets. HEA plus’ up Wishes. Makes it more realistic and gives you the visualizations on the castle and makes the castle a highlight on the show and not just an erect vessel that has fireworks behind it. The music is something you are going to belting off in your car where as Wishes is a lullaby in comparison. I can’t wait to see what they do to illuminations and (please please please) fantasmic. HEA everyone.

Wishes truly was a great show, the music stuck in your head through the entire monorail/bus/boat ride back to your WDW resort and then as you lay down your head, it lulled you to sleep. “Make a wish, and do as dreamers do...” *eyes closed to dreamland* However, it didn’t stick enough, you can remember the fireworks a little, maybe when tink flew out of the castle or when the big one went off at the crescendo of the chorus at breakfast the next day. All you had was the fireworks and sound to remind you of what you saw and want to remember. And as many said on this thread, it doesn’t resonate with really life. You can’t wish success, you can’t wish a happily ever after. You go make it. You can go the distance. HEA has the music that you will remember just as wishes, however, it will carry with you longer. Not as a bad ear worm like small world or imagination. You can listen to this crossingthe finish line of a wdw marathon. You can listen to it when charging forward toward a life long goal and finally accomplishing it.
Wishes shall always be in our hearts and minds. The music will live on through our many outlets. HEA plus’ up Wishes. Makes it more realistic and gives you the visualizations on the castle and makes the castle a highlight on the show and not just an erect vessel that has fireworks behind it. The music is something you are going to belting off in your car where as Wishes is a lullaby in comparison. I can’t wait to see what they do to illuminations and (please please please) fantasmic. HEA everyone.
We didn't even bother with HEA on this years trip. We rode rides. Not worth the time and not inspirational at all. Each to their own-I like traditional things that made Disney what it is. Really not into the social engineering scene.

We didn't even bother with HEA on this years trip. We rode rides. Not worth the time and not inspirational at all. Each to their own-I like traditional things that made Disney what it is. Really not into the social engineering scene.
You can bet if there’s innovation to be done WDW is going to do it. They made the castle as a prop and focus for HEA. Versus wishes where it was just a mere glimmer with a few spot lights. Disney did a 1 up rather than put up a few spot lights, shoot off a couple fireworks and call it a night. If you hate the show, if you (for some reason) feel its uninspiring, take a step back and at least admire the technology that they’ve encapsulated in this show. Further more did you have the same hate for wishes when fantasy in the sky was changed?

Last edited:
i coped my retrospective below with HEA and wishes and I have to say it: I like HEA. I’m glad wishes was changed. It was old and tired like illuminations and fantasmic. However, I fee alone in the fact that I am cheering for HEA. Am I the only one (lol)?!
Retrospective:

Last edited:
You are definitely not the only one. I'd say that the vast majority of people that post on here and that I've talked to in person would agree. I loved Wishes, but HEA blows it away. I probably watch the Dis' video of the premier on youtube weekly and cry every single time.

Of course not. No need to justify your opinion. You can like whatever you want!

I like both for what they are. I thought the music in Wishes was much better and seemed a more complete story line.
Fireworks are about equal, maybe slightly better with HEA.
Castle projection, not even close, HEA is light years ahead.

Watching from Mainstreet, I like HEA.
Watching from the resorts, California Grill, I liked Wishes since you can't see the castle projections.

I like HEA ok, I loved wishes. So, I think there are those on each side, and esp. people who have seen the different fireworks through the years, there's going to be emotional reasons why people like what they like. If I'd never seen wishes, I'd be blown away with HEA, but because I liked wishes so much, HEA is just ok with me. I'd recommend everyone to see it at least once though, so I don't dislike it at all, and I'm glad Disney is updating and changing shows.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter