Are we out of our minds - Christmas??

momoftwins

<a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis-sponsor/" targ
With the kids having a long Christmas vacation (12/21 - 1/5), are we out of our minds for a Christmas stay??

We would probably go down on the 19th and maybe return the 26th??

What have your experiences been? Thanks.

We have gone several times at Christmas and had a great time. We went backwards of everyone. We headed to the back of the parks first. Never waited in long lines.

Christmas is a wonderful time to go.

If you are, then so am I! We are trying it for the first time this year too.
Im going in expecting huge crowds, not expecting to do much, and my only "must dos" are going to be the holiday things(Christmas Parade, CP, Osbourne Lights, etc...). I figure anything else we get to do is extra. I plan to take it slow, do more sit down meals than usual and not go my usual commando style.
I think if you go in expecting the worst, you cant be disappointed, only pleasantly surprised, right?
Good luck & see you there! :D

Crowds will be generally light on 12/19-12/21. They will start building as you get closer to XMas. On 12/25 the crowds will suddenly explode in size and be huge. But with good planning you should have a great time.

Do the major attractions before 12/25, when crowds are lighter. If staying on site take advantage of EMH. Use FP. Have at least a general plan of what attractions you want to do and when. Make PS for restaurants. Don't go into a park on Xmas (spend a day at the pool, visit DTD or the Boardwalk, tour the resorts, etc. If you must do a park stay away from MK). After 12/25 realize you will probably have waits and may not be able to do everything you might want to do.

Christmas time can be fun at Disney. Lots of extra things going on.

Well, It is wonderful and horrible all rolled into one.

The decorations are wonderful and the atmosphere is incredible. The problem is the crowds. By 10 o'clock or so MK was closed. There were people everywhere.

Some of the more popular rides had lines that were up to an hour and a half long.

You can get about 1/2 to 1/3 the amount done around Christmas then you could do now.

The other problem we ran into was it was cold! I'm talking 32 degrees out at night. It was unseasonaly cold that Christmas but it was brutal.

While I enjoyed it I would not go back at Christmas time.

We would love to do a Disney Christmas but will not try it until the kids are older. While the older 3 know the truth, the youngest still believes in Santa and we will continue to do the Santa thing for a few more years. How would we secretly bring all of that stuff with us? And then we would have to lug it all back! We did do Easter one time. I was able to sneak all of the Easter bunny stuff down there and set up the baskets when they were sleeping! Unfortunately, all of the candy melted in the van on the way home!! Holidays are just easier at home for us now. I agree, Christmas is a good long school break though!!! Lacee

We went last year from the 19th - 27th.. had a great time! No real crowds until xmas like everyone says and we got into MK in the evening of the 25th after dinner.. so not sure if they closed the park at all that day.

We did all the special Xmas things and worked the "normal" stuff in around it. Did all the "long line" stuff before xmas eve. We do have teens so that may make a big difference...able to move around more quickly through the crowds. We used fast pass a lot! Would get one, go to other rides, and then got a fast pass for another ride before going on the first one..saved us lots of time. We also skipped the parade in MK because we had seen it at MVMCP and rode Thunder Mountain about 5 times in a row with absolutely no lines..

See wdwig.com for all the special xmas things. We did the MVMCP and had a great time - did it on the last scheduled night of the party as that was the only time it was being held when we were there. We also did the CP dinner package - got rained out on xmas eve - never been so wet in my life, but because we were staying extra days, we were able to reschedule for another night via customer service - so if you do plan on doing CP, make sure to not pick your last night - it is outside and weather will cause cancellations. We had xmas eve, and they couldn't get us in for xmas night, but the the 26th was fine (some people scheduled for their last night and were not happy when it was cancelled. My daughter and I did the yuletide fantasy tour - that was kinda cool as well - we did it on the day of the MVMCP so we wouldn't waste a park ticket.. was neat to go into Epcot World Showcase before the park opened and see all the workerbees (the boys went Golfing that day).

I wouldn't let the fear of the crowds discourage you... just do all big stuff early in your trip and then when the holiday crowds hit, just go slower :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter