Are We Crazy? We totally LOVE Saratoga Springs!!

DVC is wonderful as they have a resort that calls to everyone. I feel that way about BWV but like the others as well .

We will be staying there for the first time this October - none of us have actually stayed on Disney property - so this is wonderful to hear all the positive reviews!

We own here as well as BWV. We were just here at Saratoga last week for 6 nights in a 1 bedroom and really enjoyed it. We were at Poly for 6 nights before we switched over to Saratoga. The Poly nights were all our park days. It was a nice break moving over to Saratoga for a relaxing time swimming and going to Disney Springs for shopping and restaurants. Really enjoyed it. Very glad we own here as well as Boardwalk!

It's great to read this, as I've contemplated SSR (and also OKW) 1 bedroom villas for a possible return trip in 2022, these two seem to be the most attainable villas on our budget that can accommodate our family size, and I just really enjoy the look and feel of both of them but I don't read much about them online or see a lot of videos featuring them on Disney YouTube channels. Personally I like walking, and natural beauty and a natural setting is a big plus for me (it's why I live on acreage with woods and a huge creek!), so it sounds up our alley.

We also purchased at SSR because the resort is beautiful and so close to Dis Springs. We are FL residents, so we drive. That means we always have the option of using our own transportation. That makes the size less a factor for us. We have stayed several times - as a couple (Studio), as a family of 6 adults in a Grand Villa (which was a Disney upgrade and we LOVED it), and in a 1 BR with my 80yo parents, who also loved SSR! My wife is doing a girls weekend in a 2BR in Oct and they have no intention of hitting any parks. Between Dis Springs, Olivia's at OKW and fun dining options at Port Orleans they have more than enough to do that is a boat ride or walk away.

It's funny to hear some people love a resort and others turn their nose up at it. Personally, I'm willing to stay at any there isn't a "bad" resort. Personally I wish we had bought SSR when we first purchased, but the wife insisted on BLT. I could have saved $35 a point :rotfl2:. As a "RESORT", I think SSR is 2nd to me behind BCV (I'm just a big beach lover so the theme puts it over the top for me). We were lucky enough to be there for the Paddock pool reopening after the refurbishment. They had characters in swimgear for the ribbon cutting and my daughter was loving it. My 2nd reason for liking it so much was there was almost always studio availability at 7 months (although that has drastically changed since Poly was added). I think AKV is my least preferred. I always seem to get a room I have to walk a mile down the hallway to get too haha.

We didn't love Saratoga, but we are also not haters. We had our first stay for a long weekend a couple of weeks ago, and since we planned it at the last minute SSR was the only place available for the full weekend. I had read all the horror stories, so my expectations were rather low. Well, let's just say it certainly exceeded my expectations. Our room was kind of a long walk from the Carriage House, but not so far that it kept us away. The Grandstand Pool was also a nice quiet spot with lots of shade which was important since we were there during record heat. The Backstretch Bar had some nice sandwich offerings for a quick shareable lunch. And the Artist's Pallette is perhaps the best QS restaurant in any DVC resort. We also used the spa for changing since we had a late flight and it was lovely. I'll use it for real the next time I stay there--and there will very likely be a next time.

OK, I think I have found some kindred spirits, so let me share my strategy/logic and see what you all think!

I have an offer pending ROFR for 210 SSR points, and after that comes through, I’d buy 100 SSR Direct points for the same use year. It seems like managing different use years can get complex. Overall, I’m hoping to use our points to get 1 BR villas at SSR, but occasionally try to get a 1BR at other places if there is availability. Our kids are grown, but no spouses/grandkids just yet, but it seems like we could easily use 310 points/year for future whole-family trips with 2BR villas.

Getting the 100 Direct points would be not just to get the perks, but to also have the opportunity to stay in Riviera and future DVCs.

Thanks for your thoughts and I’m really enjoying the DIS boards!

Correct me if I am wrong, but as I understand it, any resale points cannot be used at Riviera unless they are Riviera resale points.... that would mean your resale contract for SSR cannot be used at Riviera (it CAN be used at the other resorts but not Riviera)

Correct me if I am wrong, but as I understand it, any resale points cannot be used at Riviera unless they are Riviera resale points.... that would mean your resale contract for SSR cannot be used at Riviera (it CAN be used at the other resorts but not Riviera)
It's correct. In the example you quoted, the member could use his 100 direct addon points to book Riviera (and Reflections), but not the 210 he bought resale.

As it turns out, by SSR resale offer got taken by Disney, so my big scheme never came to pass! I just closed on buying 300 resale points at BRV, so I decided that I would be OK with not getting the member benefits or using my points to try out Riviera.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!