• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Are tuxes or suits in the majority for formal night?

mouseclick1

DIS Veteran
DH owns a tux and a black suit, should we bring both? What do most men wear on fomal night? What about semi-formal? My boys will be 12 & 14 at the time of our cruise. What do the majority of kids in this age bracket wear? They will both have suits, should I rent tuxes for them as well? We enjoy dressing up, I just don't want to be taking up space in the suitcases for clothes that will not be worn! Please let me know what your experiences have been. Thanks!!
:D

I think that most people wear suits on formal night, although tuxes definitely are not hard to find. I would do whichever feels more comfortable for your family. I am not sure I would spend the money to rent tuxes for the kids, but that is just me....

Suits. At late seating you may see more tuxes but honestly, I would not take up valuable suitcase space. :)

I've done both. Tuxes are very enjoyable to do at least once. And getting a nice family portrait all dressed up will be priceless. And there's enough dressed up that you all won't feel out of place.

My advice on the matter is this - look into renting tuxes from the DCL affiliated tux rental. You'll get contact info with your cruise documents. All you'll need to do is take a few measurements (they provide instructions), and the tuxes will be waiting in your cabin shipboard. You then return them from your cabin, nothing to pack except a nice pair of black socks/shoes for each, which you'll probably bring anyway.

The non-formal nites I usually wear a polo/dockers to dinner, and don't feel even close to out of place.

On our 7 night my hubby wore his tux to both formal and semi-formal nights. On formal night he wore a bowtie/cummerbund set and a wing tip shirt. On semi-formal night he wore a shirt collar tux shirt (regular collar but pleated front and french cuffs) with a black silk necktie and looked really good. This combination was suggested by the men's store fashion consultant (what a trip shopping for men's clothes is!). He didn't take a suit but he did take a sport coat to match with khakis for lumiere's and palo's (we didn't go to those on formal nights). He gets to wear a tux so infrequently that I really was glad he wore that and not just a suit, and since it is his own tux and not a rental, it fits him absolutely perfectly. When we were shopping for one it was amazing how different the various cuts looked on him. If your husband already has it, he should wear it! (and can wear it for both formal and semi formal nights, we did see others wearing their tux twice without the change in neckwear). I think your boys would look fine in suits but if you want the whole family to match and be dressed to the nines then I'd get them tuxes too.

Lisa

I think your boys would look fine in suits but if you want the whole family to match and be dressed to the nines then I'd get them tuxes too.

This was going to be my next question! Do you think it would look odd for DH to be in a tux with the boys in suits? I was thinking if DH is in a tux, the boys should be also. Any opinions on this?

No, I don't think it would look odd at all. BUT if I were you, I'd get tuxes for the boys too. I would not be able to resist the family portrait possibilities! Mickey and Minnie will be in formal wear as well.

Lisa

My hubby owns his tux also and was wondering the same thing. I think we will bring it. I think the pictures would be great.

As far as your boys go...if you can afford it, I think they would love to have a tux for formal night...just like dad. How cool would that be. Young men look so great in a tux.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter