Are these boots made for ridin'?

KateDrake

DIS Veteran
So I have a really weird question, which probably requires some explanation. My DD3 is a huge Toy Story fan, and recently received some of those fabulous red-glittered Jessie boots from her grandma. And she won't wear any other shoes, and is talking about how she can't wait to wear them at DLR and meet Jessie in them, etc.

Also, DD3 is now 40 inches, so we'll be trying to take her on several rides with height requirements for the first time. What I'm wondering is if the CMs will make her take the boots off if she has to be measured? She should hit the measuring stick just fine, and if she doesn't, I am fine with her not riding. Mostly I just don't want her standing in bare feet on the gross floor or ground!

Have any of you had CMs ask you to remove your child's shoes while they were being measured? I wouldn't worry, but the boots have a bit of a heal...

Sorry for the weird question! If she's going to be taking the shoes on and off all day, we might have to "forget" them at home!

We 've been on trips where my son was right at the height minimums for 42" and 46" . At 46" inches it was a close call and he was measured twice every time he rode Indy. In our experience he was never asked to take off his shoes, but that doesn't 't mean it couldn't happen especially with shoes that stand out and have a heal. If it were me I wouldn't have her wear them, perhaps cowboy boots wouldn't be the most comfortable walkin shoes anyway. :)

Bring thin flipflops with you so that if/when she's measured without shoes on, she'll have something to wear.

My youngest DD went through a phase where she would only wear boots. They had a little heal, but nobody ever batted an eye at her feet while measuring her. I always do take 2 pairs of shoes on vacation, though (not into the parks, but have a second pair at the hotel, you never know whenyour child will suddenly outgrow her shoes or get a callous or something - my oldest outgrew a pair of shoes at WDW).

My DD was 4 the first time we went to Disneyland (she's now 9). She was under 40" so we had her wear her pink cowgirl boots in order to meet the height requirement. She never had to remove her footwear to be measured.

A side benefit was all the comments she received (the girl loves attention!). Pocahontas compared boots with her--it was a darling moment.

I've read elsewhere on the DisBoards that you can take your children to City Hall to be measured one time, then receive a bracelet so your children can skip the multiple ride measuring spots. I wish we had known this on our last trip, because we did have to walk back to the hotel one day to get my daughter's sandal that have a higher heel in order to ride CA Screamin'.

Thanks for all the responses! We will of course be taking at least two other pairs of shoes, in hopes that DD3 will realize that boots aren't very comfortable for walking in the park all day. I'm also kind of hoping the novelty will wear off before the trip, and she'll only want to wear them to actually meet Jessie.

As far as the wristband goes, I had heard that they discontinued that several years ago, is that true? The rumor was that too many parents were sliding the wristband off of the child who was tall enough and slipping it on shorter siblings. So I will have to see if they are still doing that, it would certainly be nice!

I think you're smart to bring multiple pairs of shoes. But whatever your daughter wears all day normally MIGHT actually be more comfortable for her, even if it's boots. I know as an adult, I thought I my feet would fare better in tennis shoes than flats. I was surprised to find that I'm much more comfortable walking in whatever my feet are the most used to, which is what I wear to work. In fairness, my flats have a decent amount of support, but still.

Last trip, my mom and I saw a woman in red heels and another with her in more reasonable-looking shoes. Mom thought the woman in heels was crazy. I pointed out that the one who WASN'T wearing heels was the one that was limping! So I really do think that whatever you're used to may work best...at least for adults. Can't swear it's true for kids, but maybe.

My DD was 4 the first time we went to Disneyland (she's now 9). She was under 40" so we had her wear her pink cowgirl boots in order to meet the height requirement.

You know...I really hate that you did that. I have a son, and with sons you don't have the leeway in footwear as you do with girls. And DS was denied entrance to Star Tours, because a CM was measuring him while pushing down on Ds's shoulder, and the attention he was giving DS caused him to MISS a tiny girl wearing cowboy boots, getting on when TOTALLY unsafe for the ride. Next time we went, and DS hadn't grown any and got on the ride with CMs who didn't push on his shoulder, even he was slipping down in his seat...so having a smaller child on the ride could result in that child on the floor.

I don't want my son to have the unfair advantage of extra shoes; I want girls to stop getting that advantage. I want them all to wear NORMAL shoes and be properly measured and get on when they are the right height.

I really wish you guys hadn't been successful in getting around the rules.

I've read elsewhere on the DisBoards that you can take your children to City Hall to be measured one time, then receive a bracelet so your children can skip the multiple ride measuring spots. I wish we had known this on our last trip, because we did have to walk back to the hotel one day to get my daughter's sandal that have a higher heel in order to ride CA Screamin'.

That does not exist. Why? Because people cheated. And got their smaller kids onto rides by sneaky measures.

Last fall I took my DS for his 3rd birthday. He was 40" as well and completely obsessed with his toy story boots. He refused to wear anything else, except on splash when I changed him to his water shoes. I never had an issue with asking him to take his boots off. Biggest issue we had was the CMs smashing his head into the measuring stick, so you may want to put your hand by her head just incase :). I have heard of them asking for tall shoes to be removed for RSR measurements however.

My DD was 4 the first time we went to Disneyland (she's now 9). She was under 40" so we had her wear her pink cowgirl boots in order to meet the height requirement. She never had to remove her footwear to be measured.

A side benefit was all the comments she received (the girl loves attention!). Pocahontas compared boots with her--it was a darling moment.

Oh this so wrong, this is cheating the system and could have resulted in your child being injured! I guess you got lucky. :confused3
They don't do the bracelets, haven't for years so that wouldn't have worked for you and won't work for anyone else either.

OP I've seen them ask kids to remove shoes, I've seen them adjust the measurement to allow for the 2 inch heels on boots, I'd just take flip flops (as previously mentioned) in case she needs to take them off. Good luck, I wear cowgirl boots 2-4 times per week and they can be extremely uncomfortable, in fact, my feet hurt like heck today and I only wore them Friday and last night...of course I have to wear them again tonight. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter