Are there still construction delays on I-5?

RedRosie

Mouseketeer
Trying to decide on 99 or 5, coming from northern CA. Is there still construction on I-5 north of the grapevine? Thanks!!

RedRosie said:
Trying to decide on 99 or 5, coming from northern CA. Is there still construction on I-5 north of the grapevine? Thanks!!

Not sure what/when you were last in I-5...we drive it starting at Lost hills south to DL and back in March and there was no construction. But I remember that last year they had one lane closed on each side in the area you are referring to and they were open in March 2013. HTH...anything after I'm not sure, but you could check the Caltrans website they usually have all of that info online.

We drove it in early October and didn't have any construction delays this time, although there was a bit of construction going on in that area. Nothing like it was a few months ago! :thumbsup2

And the one time we did 99? It took us at least an extra hour to get home to Livermore! I was hoping it would be nearly the same as 5, just for an alternative to the BOOORRRRIIINNNGGG drive, but it wasn't. I won't do that again...

We drove down 10/21 and had no construction delays. 99 is just too far out of the way. I would take my chances with I5.

We've done 5 and 99 from Sacramento to DL 3 times so far this year (4th will be in 2 weeks!). 99 does take more time but I think there are better stops (if needed). Places like Black Bear Dinner instead of just lots of Dennys and McDonalds.
Usually we only need one or two stops so we're just sticking with I-5 from now on.

We've done 5 and 99 from Sacramento to DL 3 times so far this year (4th will be in 2 weeks!). 99 does take more time but I think there are better stops (if needed). Places like Black Bear Dinner instead of just lots of Dennys and McDonalds.
Usually we only need one or two stops so we're just sticking with I-5 from now on.

Agreed DaveNinja. 99 has better stops....we take it every year. But if you take I-5 you can stop at Andersons! We also try and leave the Sacramento area by 6am....so we don't have traffic in the LA area.

I think maybe OP is referring to the mess near Buttonwillow? It was not so good last Sept. 2011 as it was down to one lane in each direction but we lucked out. There's actually a great little pupuseria in Buttonwillow with great pupusas (a Salvadorean treat which is basically a thick handmade tortilla stuffed with cheese or pork inside of it and topped with a great curtido-- aka cabbage slaw). Better than the typical fast food chain options, IMHO.

smiles33 said:
I think maybe OP is referring to the mess near Buttonwillow? It was not so good last Sept. 2011 as it was down to one lane in each direction but we lucked out. There's actually a great little pupuseria in Buttonwillow with great pupusas (a Salvadorean treat which is basically a thick handmade tortilla stuffed with cheese or pork inside of it and topped with a great curtido-- aka cabbage slaw). Better than the typical fast food chain options, IMHO.

If it is that Buttonwollow mess it was clear then in March....

Out of curiosity, I went and googled it. The www.dot.ca.gov website has a handy construction update page. This is the exact website:

http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/roadinfo/Hourly

This is the current info for the 5, which seems like it's mostly nighttime closures after 8 pm except for one section facing delays 24 hours/day in Kern County.

I 5
[IN THE SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA AREA]
THE NORTHBOUND CONNECTOR TO NORTHBOUND & SOUTHBOUND I 710 /IN COMMERCE/
(LOS ANGELES CO) IS CLOSED FROM 2100 HRS EACH NIGHT TO 0600 HRS EACH MORNING
SUNDAY THRU FRIDAY THRU 11/9/12 - DUE TO CONSTRUCTION - A DETOUR IS AVAILABLE

THE SOUTHBOUND CONNECTOR TO NORTHBOUND & SOUTHBOUND SR 170 /IN LOS ANGELES/
(LOS ANGELES CO) IS CLOSED FROM 2300 HRS ON 11/5/12 TO 0500 HRS ON 11/6/12
- DUE TO CONSTRUCTION - A DETOUR IS AVAILABLE

THE NORTHBOUND CONNECTOR TO NORTHBOUND & SOUTHBOUND SR 118 /IN LOS ANGELES/
(LOS ANGELES CO) IS CLOSED FROM 2000 HRS ON 11/5/12 TO 0500 HRS ON 11/6/12

THE SOUTHBOUND CONNECTOR TO NORTHBOUND & SOUTHBOUND SR 14 /IN SYLMAR/
(LOS ANGELES CO) IS CLOSED FROM 2100 HRS EACH NIGHT TO 1200 HRS THE FOLLOWING
AFTERNOON MONDAY THRU THURSDAY & FROM 2100 HRS THURSDAY TO 0600 HRS FRIDAY
THRU 11/9/12 - DUE TO CONSTRUCTION - A DETOUR IS AVAILABLE

[IN THE CENTRAL CALIFORNIA AREA]
NORTHBOUND TRAFFIC IS REDUCED TO 1 LANE AT THE JCT OF SR 43 (KERN CO)
24 HRS A DAY 7 DAYS A WEEK - DUE TO CONSTRUCTION

NORTHBOUND TRAFFIC IS REDUCED TO 1 LANE 6.4 MI NORTH OF THE JCT OF SR 43
/AT STOCKDALE RD/ (KERN CO) - DUE TO CONSTRUCTION

[IN THE NORTHERN CALIFORNIA AREA]
THE NORTHBOUND CONNECTOR TO WESTBOUND SR 44 /IN REDDING/ (SHASTA CO) IS
CLOSED FROM 1900 HRS ON 11/5/12 TO 0600 HRS ON 11/6/12 - DUE TO CONSTRUCTION
- A DETOUR IS AVAILABLE

MOTORISTS ARE SUBJECT TO LANE REDUCTIONS AT VARIOUS LOCATIONS IN
EACH DIRECTION FROM ARBUCKLE (COLUSA CO) TO THE COLUSA/GLENN CO LINE
FROM 1700 HRS EACH AFTERNOON TO 1100 HRS EACH MORNING SUNDAY THRU FRIDAY
THRU 11/6/12 - DUE TO CONSTRUCTION

Agreed DaveNinja. 99 has better stops....we take it every year. But if you take I-5 you can stop at Andersons! We also try and leave the Sacramento area by 6am....so we don't have traffic in the LA area.

We stopped at Andersons once and had one of the kids puke so now we cant stop there anymore, haha.

I cant reply to your PM until I get 10 posts but I am who you think I am and I'm pretty sure I figured out who you are (sac state geology couple). :)

For LA now, we just take the 210 to san dimas (for bill and teds references) and then the 57 to Anaheim. longer but not as annoying as I-5 (at least when we go)

Out of curiosity, I went and googled it. The www.dot.ca.gov website has a handy construction update page. This is the exact website:

http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/roadinfo/Hourly

This is the current info for the 5, which seems like it's mostly nighttime closures after 8 pm except for one section facing delays 24 hours/day in Kern County.

I 5
[IN THE SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA AREA]
THE NORTHBOUND CONNECTOR TO NORTHBOUND & SOUTHBOUND I 710 /IN COMMERCE/
(LOS ANGELES CO) IS CLOSED FROM 2100 HRS EACH NIGHT TO 0600 HRS EACH MORNING
SUNDAY THRU FRIDAY THRU 11/9/12 - DUE TO CONSTRUCTION - A DETOUR IS AVAILABLE

THE SOUTHBOUND CONNECTOR TO NORTHBOUND & SOUTHBOUND SR 170 /IN LOS ANGELES/
(LOS ANGELES CO) IS CLOSED FROM 2300 HRS ON 11/5/12 TO 0500 HRS ON 11/6/12

THE NORTHBOUND CONNECTOR TO NORTHBOUND & SOUTHBOUND SR 118 /IN LOS ANGELES/
(LOS ANGELES CO) IS CLOSED FROM 2000 HRS ON 11/5/12 TO 0500 HRS ON 11/6/12

THE SOUTHBOUND CONNECTOR TO NORTHBOUND & SOUTHBOUND SR 14 /IN SYLMAR/
(LOS ANGELES CO) IS CLOSED FROM 2100 HRS EACH NIGHT TO 1200 HRS THE FOLLOWING
AFTERNOON MONDAY THRU THURSDAY & FROM 2100 HRS THURSDAY TO 0600 HRS FRIDAY
THRU 11/9/12 - DUE TO CONSTRUCTION - A DETOUR IS AVAILABLE

[IN THE CENTRAL CALIFORNIA AREA]
NORTHBOUND TRAFFIC IS REDUCED TO 1 LANE AT THE JCT OF SR 43 (KERN CO)
24 HRS A DAY 7 DAYS A WEEK - DUE TO CONSTRUCTION

NORTHBOUND TRAFFIC IS REDUCED TO 1 LANE 6.4 MI NORTH OF THE JCT OF SR 43
/AT STOCKDALE RD/ (KERN CO) - DUE TO CONSTRUCTION

[IN THE NORTHERN CALIFORNIA AREA]
THE NORTHBOUND CONNECTOR TO WESTBOUND SR 44 /IN REDDING/ (SHASTA CO) IS
CLOSED FROM 1900 HRS ON 11/5/12 TO 0600 HRS ON 11/6/12 - DUE TO CONSTRUCTION
- A DETOUR IS AVAILABLE

MOTORISTS ARE SUBJECT TO LANE REDUCTIONS AT VARIOUS LOCATIONS IN
EACH DIRECTION FROM ARBUCKLE (COLUSA CO) TO THE COLUSA/GLENN CO LINE
FROM 1700 HRS EACH AFTERNOON TO 1100 HRS EACH MORNING SUNDAY THRU FRIDAY
THRU 11/6/12 - DUE TO CONSTRUCTION

Ya that was what we hit when we left at the ungodly hour of 3am to drive back up 5 last Friday. :scared1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter