Are the new Minnie Vans accessible?

I'll be following this thread to see what other news comes out. DH uses an ECV and we would love to be able to use this option a few times as we're not renting a car for the first time on our next trip.
from the video I just posted it looks like very soon they will have the ones that can take wheel chair ECV ready

And it looks like the vans drop you off in the bus zone at MK? Not at TTC? That's awesome - thinking of doing this to get us to MK from PC.

from what I heard it is with in Disney property, but maybe if enough people ask to go out side of Disney then maybe they would, but I am thinking there would be a nice surcharge.

I would be very surprised if they ever offered the service to go off-property. After all, if they make it any easier to go off property, they make it easier for you to spend money off property. And make no mistake-Disney wants you to give ALL your vacation money to the mouse.

Those are Ford Transit Connects. It appears that the wheelchair is in the back. Just like the Nissan Sienna's are taxi fleet just received.

https://www.commtrans.com/ford-rear-ramp-wheelchair-minivan/
I can let everyone know Friday. My local senior center just got some new vehicles, and I'm almost positive one is identical inside to the ADA Minnie vans. Based on the capacity described, there's no front passenger seat. A wheelchair/ECV rolls up a ramp that extends out the side, and gets tied down there. Granted, if the person can transfer, I don't know where the fourth person would sit. Next row is a spacious (leg room) three person bench seat, then storage/luggage/bags etc in the rear.

I can let everyone know Friday. My local senior center just got some new vehicles, and I'm almost positive one is identical inside to the ADA Minnie vans. Based on the capacity described, there's no front passenger seat. A wheelchair/ECV rolls up a ramp that extends out the side, and gets tied down there. Granted, if the person can transfer, I don't know where the fourth person would sit. Next row is a spacious (leg room) three person bench seat, then storage/luggage/bags etc in the rear.

Thats sounds like a MV-1. Its very wide and very tall. I'm 6 foot tall and I can almost step into it without ducking my head. Three people can sit in the bench seat and there is a jump seat behind the driver facing backwards. The wheel chair user sort of sits in the front passenger position.

I work in the Taxi biz and the MV-1 was designed from the beginning for Taxi fleets though they do also sell them to individuals. I don't think they make a non ADA version.

The link above definitely shows a Ford transit. The back is modified with a ramp, a low floor and tie down points and the wheel chair user sits in the back. The 4 passengers sit 3 in the back in what would normally be the middle position and the fourth in the front passenger seat.

MV-1+wheelchair+accessible+vehicle.png

Last edited:
... The link above definitely shows a Ford transit. The back is modified with a ramp, a low floor and tie down points and the wheel chair user sits in the back. The 4 passengers sit 3 in the back in what would normally be the middle position and the fourth in the front passenger seat.

I agree, it's definitely a Ford transit in the pictures I've seen. Also, while the Ford site indicates these can seat "5+ wheelchair" and shows a middle-row bench seat, the information about the accessible Minnie Vans all state seats 4 including the wheelchair user (plus the driver). So, I'm wondering if Disney had an option for captains seats in the middle row, similar to the non-accessible Traverse, instead of the bench seating. I am somewhat disappointed that the accessible Minnie Van does not appear to have the larger capacity available in the non-accessible model. Families requiring accessible transit who travel with mom, dad, 2 kids + a grandparent would not be able to use the Minnie Van service without calling for 2 vehicles; while a family not needing accessible transportation could all fit in one. It isn't likely to impact me directly, but I'm thinking that's a big miss on WDW's part considering one positive selling point of the Minnie Van service is that it accommodates a larger party than most taxis or uber/lift. Unless I've misunderstood the few posts and limited information available thus far...

Also, while the Ford site indicates these can seat "5+ wheelchair" and shows a middle-row bench seat, the information about the accessible Minnie Vans all state seats 4 including the wheelchair user (plus the driver).

Yes thats very odd. It maybe that they can't sit someone in the passenger seat due to some regulations in Fl. I don't think that applies in PA where I live.

Or the website could just be bad at math or syntax. :)

I did see one version of a transit with a side wheel chair ramp that could limit the number of passengers.

I just found a post on the Rumors & News forum with interior pics of the accessible Minnie Van. It does appear to be captain's seats in the middle row. So the wheelchair in 3rd row position, 2 captains chairs in the middle, plus 1 next to the driver = 4 passengers.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/minnie-vans-uber-like-transport-begins-soon.3618410/page-17 (post#335 on page 17)

Here is a slightly more direct link https://www.disboards.com/threads/m...ort-begins-soon.3618410/page-17#post-57957824

I see what they have here, the "captains chairs" are not really like regular captains chairs found in fancier vans. They are removable seats and attach to the same floor rails that the wheel chair is strapped down to. With this arrangement it could be possible to remove those two chairs and put another wheel chair in the vehicle.

They are also using a lift system instead of the ramp conversion. I like this much better than the ramp*. We have a few of the ramp conversions and they basically gut the rear end of the van and relocate the spare tire and the gas tank and remove the bumper. Well bumper like object. In a rear end collision I don't like the odds for someone in the back.

*But our mechanics don't. Some of the lifts are outside the van and in our winters they can get really messed up. :)

Last edited:
Overall, I think I'm pretty happy with how they have these outfitted. I'd personally prefer the wheelchair user be able to roll into one of the middle seat spaces to make conversation among riders easier, but this looks like it will work pretty well.

Overall, I think I'm pretty happy with how they have these outfitted. I'd personally prefer the wheelchair user be able to roll into one of the middle seat spaces to make conversation among riders easier, but this looks like it will work pretty well.

Not sure if that is possible due to how wide and long some chairs can be. Pretty sure they will stay in the back.

I think Disney has made a good choice.

I have a Ford Transit Connect with a wheelchair lift in the rear. When I purchased it new in early 2015 it had seven seats- two captains chairs in the front row, a three person bench seat in the middle and two seats in the third row. I had the two seats removed from the third row and a lift installed for my power wheelchair. When I had it converted it was the first Transit Connect the conversion company had done but when I took it in for a tune-up last month, the tech guy excitedly showed me that it was now a featured vehicle on its web-site. I picked it after researching multiple vehicles and then going to an auto show and actually getting in and out of all the mini-vans they had on display. The Transit Connect sold me because getting into the driver's seat was a straight across transfer, not a step up or a drop down - straight across. That was and is a great help to me. I wheel up to my vehicle, open the back, use the remote to take out the lift, drive my chair unto the platform, get off, use the remote to load it into the back and then close the back. I then use my limited walking ability to get to the driver's door and away I go. I cannot imagine my life without it.

It is a shame that it will just transport 4 when the regular vans transport 6. The next time I travel with a group there will be 5 of us so I guess this just won't work.

I would love to see a picture of the cargo area for the "regular" Minnie Vans. I'm wondering if my little scooter might not fit back there (if there is any room left back there) so that we could use one of the non-accessible vans. Having said that, I'm not sure I could actually climb up into the Chevy Traverse, so it may be a moot point... :::sigh:::

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter