Are people trying to avoid Star Wars crowds?

Not avoiding at all. Our AP year starts Oct 2019, and we have 7 trips planned so far. We have 2 trips booked for Dec 2019, but will probably cancel on of them once the SW:GE opening date is realeased. Family GTG Sept 2020.

Honestly, we are going June of this year and did the math, turned out for our dates Gold Annual Passes were the same cost as buying park hopper tickets and adding memory Maker, so we got an annual pass and will be back at least one more time, which will be after Galaxy's Edge opens. Since we live by Disneyland, we will probably go to Hollywood Studios on that trip and go to Mickey and Minnies runaway train, Rockin' roller coaster and such, but completely avoid Galaxy's Edge since it is supposed to be pretty much identical to Disneylands version.
We live by DL as well. I’m super excited for ours but there’s something about WDW. Not like it will be “better”, I just get the feeling it’s gonna have a different vibe. Who knows, either way I’m excited :teeth:

Well, we couldn't get our dates for Board Walk in a standard. I think Star Wars is going to make reservations A LOT harder then even we thought...

We are in the avoiding camp, we are going end of May/beginning June this year to celebrate my DD17's high school graduation. In June 2020 we are planning on going to DLR which we will be able to see Star Wars GE there (hopefully since it is a locals park and GE will be opened for a year, the dust will be somewhat settled by then). As for heading back to WDW, it probably won't be until sometime in 2022 because our youngest DD will be graduating HS in 2021 and we are planning a trip to Aulani for her HS graduation, which by then the dust should be pretty much cleared if not manageable. But then again, we may get an urge somewhere in between and go for a long weekend just to see it.

We aren’t avoiding it but also aren’t planning for it. We will be there end of October/first of November. Hoping it won’t be open. We will be back in January 2020 for a 3 night pre cruise trip. Will go to HS to ride Mickey and Minnie. My one year old will love it! Planning DLR for May 2020. Will have 5 park days, so will probably see for first time there. Then planning a WDW/ Vero Beach split stay for July 2020. Might try to see WDW then.

Stat Wars Galaxy Edge will almost certainly open mid to late December.
Fall lasts until 12/21. Winter does not start until the Winter Equinox on 12/21.
I think it may open on 12/21 or a week before, just in time for the holidays.
I go on 12/20, simply because I'm travelling from the UK in UK school vacation time.
Not sure if this will be a good or bad thing.
Ideal scenario, albeit I suspect we will be a week too late, will be a DVC preview 12/21! We can only dream.
I watch availibility very closely, I have an addiction to checking RAT for 1 beds. It's looking busier than usual at Xmas to me.

Well, we couldn't get our dates for Board Walk in a standard. I think Star Wars is going to make reservations A LOT harder then even we thought...
Did you try for a G/P view as your second choice like we advised? I knew that a STD. View studio would be a long shot for your dates.

Did you try for a G/P view as your second choice like we advised? I knew that a STD. View studio would be a long shot for your dates.

We're trying to decide what we want to do at this point. Because of the Canadian conversion, it's really painful to pay an extra $800 just for the view we wont really enjoy.

We're going in late October because we usually do. It it's open then great, we'll definitely check it out but if not well be happy to avoid the crowds.

We're trying to decide what we want to do at this point. Because of the Canadian conversion, it's really painful to pay an extra $800 just for the view we wont really enjoy.
You're not paying for the view so much as you're paying for a studio that sleeps 5 at one of the more affordable DVC properties in Disney World.

If you postpone to a date in any season other than Adventure or Choice, you're going to end up paying almost as much for a std. view BWV studio as you will pay for a G/P view studio in January.

You're not paying for the view so much as you're paying for a studio that sleeps 5 at one of the more affordable DVC properties in Disney World.

If you postpone to a date in any season other than Adventure or Choice, you're going to end up paying almost as much for a std. view BWV studio as you will pay for a G/P view studio in January.

By postpone, I mean by like, a YEAR or more. We love our Disney, but we have our limits in what we'll pay.

I booked Thanksgiving week at Beach Club with the intention of renting it out if Star Wars opens before that date, and using it ourselves if it doesn’t. I’m hoping that Disney makes an announcement before the 6 month mark, so that people holding off renting until there are firm dates can select ADR’s.

DH and I are also skipping 2020, planning our next WDW trip for Feb 2021. Although we have a trip booked for Aug 2019 at DLR. I've also got a trip booked with my sister at DLR for May-June 2019. We are hoping SW:GL opens later in June.

I'm staying away... far far away :joker:

I haven't noticed anything different on the VGC calendar for fall - most weekends in October are now booked up in the 7-11 month window (as usual, now that October is one of the busiest times of the year - which is great because the point calendar still treats it like low season, so more bang for my buck, so to speak).

With all the AP restrictions in place over the summer, the inevitable "pay for preview" days, and general hype.... I actually think Summer 2019 will be one of the best times to visit DL in terms of crowds! Can't wait for the touring plans reports and data :boat:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!