Are gay days an antiqued concept?

Furthermore, Disney has started offering up rainbow merch during Pride month, but refuse to acknowledge it as Pride merch and just call it the "rainbow collection". By comparison, Universal has started doing the same thing except they do call it Pride merch. Not to mention, Universal also has a window on the Horror Make-Up Show facade in memory of victims of the Pulse nightclub shooting and a whole scare zone at Halloween Horror Nights that is a spooky homage to drag ball culture. Both parks may profit off of us in these manners, but only one actually gives us recognition.

One thing to note around the Rainbow Collection: while it is not in a massive way (like calling it "Pride Collection"), Disney does recognize it as Pride merch. The parks blog post announcing the collection begins with: "In recognition of Pride Month 2020 and in honor of the Rainbow Disney Collection, and the incredible diversity of Disney fans around the world, I’m bursting with pride to share that Disney is donating $100,000 to GLSEN, a leading education organization working to create safe and inclusive K-12 schools for LGBTQ+ students." A similar note on each items Shop Disney page stated that a portion of any rainbow collection merch during June would be donated to GLSEN "in honor of Pride month".

I understand what you're saying regarding the name of Gay Days as well. It's sort of a hold over from language of decades past, where "gay" was more commonly used as an umbrella term for the LGBTQ community. That is no longer really the case. It would of course be more inclusive to re-title it "Queer Days" or "LGBTQ Days" or "Pride Days" but it seems like they have built a brand recognition with Gay Days. Anecdotally, though the pool parties and circuit parties (by One Magical Weekend) certainly skew towards cis gay men, I've found that many others who are not part of that group (lesbians, trans folk, etc) enjoy taking part in the festivities because those taking part embrace the spirit of Pride for the ENTIRE community, even if the company behind many of the celebrations hasn't adjusted their slightly outdated name.

As a cigender white dude originally from the mountains of California, I think Pride Days need to continue. I've been managing for 10 years and I've had many LGBTQ+ employees. Each member of my team has been at a different stage of how open and out they are, and each one had varying degrees of acceptance from their families and their home town. Based on that experience alone, it is clear to me that for the rest of my lifetime, we're going to need to have an outlet for people from the LBGTQ+ community to feel accepted, even if it's for the day.

As @Chuck S mentioned, Disney doesn't close the park to only LBGTQ+ guests and their families on Pride Days. It's all been privately organized. You still want to enjoy a day at Disney in June? Have at it! Your only limitations are park capacity and humidity.

But we have a long way to go as a society. Back when my son was 2 or 3, my wife, son and I met up with my folks and my sister at Disneyland. My son wanted some Mickey ears, and he picked out the Rainbow colored ones. I noticed on multiple occasions people were giving my wife and sister the side eye or dirty looks because they assumed they were a lesbian couple based on my son's Mickey ears. I can't even imagine what it's like to go through that every single day of my life. That's a burden that no one should have to suffer.

As a cigender white dude originally from the mountains of California, I think Pride Days need to continue. I've been managing for 10 years and I've had many LGBTQ+ employees. Each member of my team has been at a different stage of how open and out they are, and each one had varying degrees of acceptance from their families and their home town. Based on that experience alone, it is clear to me that for the rest of my lifetime, we're going to need to have an outlet for people from the LBGTQ+ community to feel accepted, even if it's for the day.

As @Chuck S mentioned, Disney doesn't close the park to only LBGTQ+ guests and their families on Pride Days. It's all been privately organized. You still want to enjoy a day at Disney in June? Have at it! Your only limitations are park capacity and humidity.

But we have a long way to go as a society. Back when my son was 2 or 3, my wife, son and I met up with my folks and my sister at Disneyland. My son wanted some Mickey ears, and he picked out the Rainbow colored ones. I noticed on multiple occasions people were giving my wife and sister the side eye or dirty looks because they assumed they were a lesbian couple based on my son's Mickey ears. I can't even imagine what it's like to go through that every single day of my life. That's a burden that no one should have to suffer.

I don’t know why you needed to post your pedigree before you contributed to the discussion. It’s unnecessary everyone has an equal voice here.

I am personally of a mindset that gay days are not an antiquated thing.

And in so many ways are still needed. I have been to WDW and DLR many times with partners and girlfriends and while the cast members are always welcoming and accepting that is not always the case with other guests.

There are a lot of places in the U.S and world where we (LGBTQ+ communities) are not commonplace accepted. So having these days where we can gather in masse and show we are there and proud is amazing and empowering. And can really be a great way for individuals from less accepting areas or places in the world to have a time where they know they will be surrounded by amazing people and hopefully find a community inside the Disney space!

This is of course just my opinion. :D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts