Are Cots allowed in DVC room, or is it possible to have joining studios?

DancesWithCats

Earning My Ears
My daughter, and family are going to be making reservations for WDW. We are wondering if any of the DVC rooms provide, or allow an extra cot in the room? They have 5 children, and 2 adults. One is a small baby, and the other is only 3 years old. No big deal if it isn't allowed, they will just go with a 2 bedroom. We are just trying to maximize points.
The second idea is to have two joining studios. With the children so young they would need to be joined rooms. Are there DVC rooms that would have that ability, or room to have two studios together?
No big deal if these things are not possible. They will just go with a 2 bedroom. We are just trying to maximize points for them. We own at GF, but they would be happy at any of the resorts.

Thanks for any information provided.

A 2 bedroom or larger is their option. They will not guarantee connecting studios. I think the Savannah view 2br at Kidani would be great for them with 3 bathrooms. or standard view to maximize points if they don't care about the view.

My daughter, and family are going to be making reservations for WDW. We are wondering if any of the DVC rooms provide, or allow an extra cot in the room? They have 5 children, and 2 adults. One is a small baby, and the other is only 3 years old. No big deal if it isn't allowed, they will just go with a 2 bedroom. We are just trying to maximize points.
The second idea is to have two joining studios. With the children so young they would need to be joined rooms. Are there DVC rooms that would have that ability, or room to have two studios together?
No big deal if these things are not possible. They will just go with a 2 bedroom. We are just trying to maximize points for them. We own at GF, but they would be happy at any of the resorts.

In their case they need a room that sleeps 6 people (since the infant doesn't count). So they would need 2 studios, 2 1-bedrooms, or a 2 bedroom. The only DVC resort that can get you a connecting studio (door between the two) is PVB, which is a request. To get adjoining (next door but no door between them) at another resort, it's only a request too, and I would assume very unlikely to be met. A 2 bedroom would be the most convenient as the adults wouldn't be forced to split between two rooms or go with PVB where the connecting studio request is often given (very few accounts of it not being given).

Last edited:
The only DVC resort that can get you a connecting studio (door between the two) is PVB and to get adjoining (next door but no door) it's only a request and I would assume very unlikely to be met.
Given the number of studios at PVB, the odds of getting connecting studios is very good as all but two studios connect with the neighboring studio.

Given the number of studios at PVB, the odds of getting connecting studios is very good as all but two studios connect with the neighboring studio.
Correct I was saying PVB is the only DVC resort for connecting. But to get adjoining at any of the other resorts (next door but not connecting) you don't have a good chance. My last sentence was clear that PVB meets the request and there have been very few accounts of them not. I added more words to make my intention clear.

Wow. Thank you all! So, it sounds like she will need to get a 2 bedroom, or check out PVB. It's always difficult to say what will be available at the 7 month window, or even the GF 11 months out is difficult to snag. If she did book a GF 2 bedroom 11 months out, and then the PVB was available at 7 month window, and she wanted to switch, what happens to the extra points saved between the two. Do they get lost, or put back into my account?

A 2 bedroom or larger is their option. They will not guarantee connecting studios. I think the Savannah view 2br at Kidani would be great for them with 3 bathrooms. or standard view to maximize points if they don't care about the view.
The only time they will guarantee connecting studios/hotel rooms is if parents would be in one, kids in another, so this would count. But as OPs have said, it will probably make sense to go with a 2BR because it will be more convenient and that way your not limited to just Poly.

a 2 BR at AK std view, SSR std view or OKW will be less points than 2 Poly stus. You will also have a full kitchen, washer/dryer and lots of space.

Wow. Thank you all! So, it sounds like she will need to get a 2 bedroom, or check out PVB. It's always difficult to say what will be available at the 7 month window, or even the GF 11 months out is difficult to snag. If she did book a GF 2 bedroom 11 months out, and then the PVB was available at 7 month window, and she wanted to switch, what happens to the extra points saved between the two. Do they get lost, or put back into my account?

Any points are returned to the account in the way they are used in the reservation. If the initial reservation has banked or borrowed points, those would be used first and the current UY points are returned.

This is all providing the change happens more than 31 days out.

The hard part, depending on when they travel, they will have to secure 2 rooms at Poly which means she would modify the 2 bedroom for the first one and then go in won’t the freed up points to try for the 2nd one.

Or, wait until MS opens at 9 to make the switch because they at least have the ability to see if there is more than one room available

Extra points from a changed reservation 7 months out are put back into your account, and they will retain the same using/banking/borrowing conditions as unused points. (which depends on your use year)

(Cancellations made 30 days out from check in become more limited holding points)

Look into Old Key West, the points are low and the living room is the largest of all the resorts. With 5 kids space would be what I would look for.

Extra points from a changed reservation 7 months out are put back into your account, and they will retain the same using/banking/borrowing conditions as unused points. (which depends on your use year)

(Cancellations made 30 days out from check in become more limited holding points)

Just to clarify, Borrowed points are returned still borrowed so those would expire at the end of the UY of travel.

Look into Old Key West, the points are low and the living room is the largest of all the resorts. With 5 kids space would be what I would look for.
Tremendous amount of space, And with the sleeper chair, each kid could have its own bed.
But with a baby and 3yo, most OKW buildings don’t have elevators, so upper floors could be a pain with strollers.
Overall, I’d lean to park proximity (monorail or Epcot area)

BLT (and Kidani) 2BR have 3 full bathrooms so that may be helpful getting 5 kids ready for bed or parks.

The only time they will guarantee connecting studios/hotel rooms is if parents would be in one, kids in another, so this would count. But as OPs have said, it will probably make sense to go with a 2BR because it will be more convenient and that way your not limited to just Poly.
No guarantee of any connecting rooms.

DVC doesn't provide cots even if they did all fit in one smaller villa. If you need an extra sleeping space and still meet occupancy limits, you must provide your own sleeping space, plus the linens for it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!