Are bookings down?

I keep receiving crowd calendar updates showing expected crowds lower than expected for my vacation time period. Yay Star Wars construction!

I do as well. I hope thecalendars are right, however I am not holding my breath.

My pins have mostly been your regular 20-30% discounts from Disney Destinations. However, the other day we had an offer from DVC for 40% off a 3 night (or longer stay) if I agree to take an Open House Tour and learn more about DVC. I have never, ever received anything like that before.

WOW!!! I would totally jump on that one. I was teh 35% off deluxe earlier and woudl have loved to be traveling during that time frame. Darn tax season!

I think that WDW has done a lot to shoot themselves in the foot in regards to prices and planning and policy, and the impact is beginning to show itself. There was a time when families would travel every year, or every other yer, but now will wait until Star Wars, with that trip being enough. The resort prices are rising, (my DH was choking on the cost of this trip) the park tickets are increasing and getting more complex to order, the food...well lets not discuss the cost of pretzels in the parks, and then add parking fees, reduced staffing, complex planning, longer lines, and the resort peek-a-boo program.

The list goes on and on, and I believe that as the frequent guests begin to bow out, they take their enthusiasm with them, and that has an insidious effect on their friends and family.

I am considering a 2019 trip but want it before the Star Wars craze, and will only go if the discounts make it worth it.
When I consider that our Aruba trip is going to cost way less than our Disney trip, and is all inclusive, concierge level and a suite larger than my house, I understand why people tell me DIsney is too expensive.

However, the other day we had an offer from DVC for 40% off a 3 night (or longer stay) if I agree to take an Open House Tour and learn more about DVC. I have never, ever received anything like that before.

They have been offering this for at least the past 12 months. I think it's highly targeted to people that they deem likely to buy DVC. I had received two such offers... the last one I got also stated the cost (after 40% off) could be applied to your membership (if you join while on that trip). I could never make the dates they had work, unfortunately. And now that we joined DVC we obviously don't get these offers anymore...

They have been offering this for at least the past 12 months. I think it's highly targeted to people that they deem likely to buy DVC. I had received two such offers... the last one I got also stated the cost (after 40% off) could be applied to your membership (if you join while on that trip). I could never make the dates they had work, unfortunately. And now that we joined DVC we obviously don't get these offers anymore...

I think I got one, however IIRC, the discount was not applied to weekends, and could not compare to the discount I already had.

I woudl love another one, because a 40% off code adds up if you can make the dates work.

IN the grand scheme of things it is a lot of things. With prices going up it makes a lot of other vacations seem a lot more reasonable. Wife and daughter love Disney, I play golf, however we also do a west coast trip every year just so much to do from the US NP to the whole west coast from Washington all the way down to Tijuana never mind the southwest. Grand Canyon, all the Utah NP, as well as N in Col. There is a ton to do out there if you can.

Also I read an article the other day how parents are putting a lot into the kids college $ so the kids do not come out with student loans totaling in the 100 to 200 thousand $ range. Also for you kids out there and we know this from a lot of friends. The kids are home after graduating with mom and dad footing the bill. While there are jobs out there they may not be heading straight to Wall St. or Hollywood as might have been hoped and parents are supporting a lot of kids. The excess cash has to come from somewhere so people will cut back.

Just my $.02

People are not getting raises, and Disney are increasingly prices across the board. Tickets, hotels, food, parking
People just can not afford it. Like Disney took away a plan hamburger for $10. but now has a southwest burger for $14 That a 40% increase

I think there are still a lot of people that can afford it, but are choosing not to go. They're finding other vacation destinations for cheaper, when in the past that wasn't always the case.

The competition isn't just Universal and Seaworld, it's also other vacation destinations that do not include theme parks. People are finding out that for what they're paying for Disney, they can do something like fly a family of 4 across country and do other things for cheaper than a disney vacation.

I think disney is banking a lot on Star Wars, I wonder if those Star Wars fans come once and pay the prices, but because of the pricing and the crowds, they never come back.

I think there are still a lot of people that can afford it, but are choosing not to go. They're finding other vacation destinations for cheaper, when in the past that wasn't always the case.

The competition isn't just Universal and Seaworld, it's also other vacation destinations that do not include theme parks. People are finding out that for what they're paying for Disney, they can do something like fly a family of 4 across country and do other things for cheaper than a disney vacation.

I think disney is banking a lot on Star Wars, I wonder if those Star Wars fans come once and pay the prices, but because of the pricing and the crowds, they never come back.

nobody-goes-there-anymore-its-too-crowded-made-on-inngur-19278545.png

I get people's frustration that things have gotten too expensive for them and they don't want to spend the money on it anymore, but the actual facts remain there's willing customers in line right behind them. WDW resort hotels are still booking up, and the parks are still crowded. The people who choose not to pack PB&Js or other sandwiches (Disney does still let you bring food into the park) are still paying for their $12-$15 counter service meals (try getting tables some nights... seriously, and long lines to order & pay).

I get people's frustration that things have gotten too expensive for them and they don't want to spend the money on it anymore, but the actual facts remain there's willing customers in line right behind them. WDW resort hotels are still booking up, and the parks are still crowded. The people who choose not to pack PB&Js or other sandwiches (Disney does still let you bring food into the park) are still paying for their $12-$15 counter service meals (try getting tables some nights... seriously, and long lines to order & pay).

I think you missed my point entirely. My comments that you decided to make a clever meme about were about Star Wars and people coming and paying a high price, and not coming back because of the price, and how crowded its going to be. I think the Star Wars area is going to be flooded with people, and people are going to be upset that they've paid so much money, and they aren't going to have the run of the area, and might not come back.

I love Star Wars, and I love Disney World, but because of the decreased value, after our scheduled trips for this year and next year, we won't be back until at 2021 or 2022.

We're skipping 2020 and going else where because the decreased value, we've been to disney at least once a year for every year (many times multiple times a year) minus the two years our kids were born since 2008.

I'm not sure how many people that are going to be "new to disney" because of star wars, are going to be repeat customers.

I don't buy into the "someone will always replace you" argument, thats only true if the parks and hotels are at 100% occupancy, and they aren't.

They are enjoying tremendous success right now with large crowds and constantly rising prices. However, I can't help but to think they are going to get hit real hard once the next recession comes around. They are going to have discount heavily.

I don't buy into the "someone will always replace you" argument, thats only true if the parks and hotels are at 100% occupancy, and they aren't.

I'm not saying it's 99.9999% occupancy every night, but I recommend you check out how full the resorts are if you wanted to book a room for this week or next (it's really when you're close to the travel date that you can measure how booked a place is). The pickings are getting slim. They have had a sale on fall rooms for a little bit now, but it wasn't long before they moved the eligibility dates up to mid-November. Anything before Nov 11th is currently full price, so they're not too desperate to fill rooms up right now.

We're getting lots of offers as well - including DVC offers to purchase more points. We received 7 in the mail in the last two weeks. I really doubt bookings are that down, though I think what we're seeing is what others have said - the "calm before the Star Wars storm". I feel as though lots are saving and waiting for a chance to see this new land, and MAYBE that's effecting bookings a bit.

I also worry that a lot of the booking push is to get money for the anniversary (which is also why I think a lot of the minor cut backs are happening).

Either way, I'm excited to hear about the new offerings to come.

I think you missed my point entirely. My comments that you decided to make a clever meme about were about Star Wars and people coming and paying a high price, and not coming back because of the price, and how crowded its going to be. I think the Star Wars area is going to be flooded with people, and people are going to be upset that they've paid so much money, and they aren't going to have the run of the area, and might not come back.

I love Star Wars, and I love Disney World, but because of the decreased value, after our scheduled trips for this year and next year, we won't be back until at 2021 or 2022.

We're skipping 2020 and going else where because the decreased value, we've been to disney at least once a year for every year (many times multiple times a year) minus the two years our kids were born since 2008.

I'm not sure how many people that are going to be "new to disney" because of star wars, are going to be repeat customers.

Sure .. Disney could be seen as "decreased value" for those who go every year simply because prices go up every year more than one's income.

But, are new lands and attractions not added value?
As someone who has been going frequently to Disney since 2010 . .the amount of stuff they've added is incredible .. three (and soon 4) new lands with at least 2 rides each .. and 4 new attractions on the horizon (two of which are net new) (Ratatouille and Tron).

Are replacing old, outdated, and unpopular attractions not added value? As much nostalgia as GMR gave me, I think I would prefer a new ride there.

Are new food and hotel choices not added value? (Between Disney Springs and the new restaurants in the parks (and more to come) .. you have a lot more food options now then in 2008.

Are more dates for things like the festivals and holiday parties not added value?

IF Star Wars land is anything like the Wizarding World, I think you will have plenty of Star Wars fans come once .. enjoy the rest of the parks and keep coming back.

Sure .. Disney could be seen as "decreased value" for those who go every year simply because prices go up every year more than one's income.

As someone who has been going frequently to Disney since 2010 . .the amount of stuff they've added is incredible .. three (and soon 4) new lands with at least 2 rides each .. and 4 new attractions on the horizon (two of which are net new) (Ratatouille and Tron).

Are replacing old, outdated, and unpopular attractions not added value? As much nostalgia as GMR gave me, I think I would prefer a new ride there.

Are new food and hotel choices not added value? (Between Disney Springs and the new restaurants in the parks (and more to come) .. you have a lot more food options now then in 2008.

Are more dates for things like the festivals and holiday parties not added value?

IF Star Wars land is anything like the Wizarding World, I think you will have plenty of Star Wars fans come once .. enjoy the rest of the parks and keep coming back.

We just aren't going to agree. And honestly, that's ok. There's nothing wrong with disagreeing.

I think all the things being added are fantastic and i look forward to them, but the price point for what you get has reached the tipping point for me, at least to visit on an annual basis. It's not that i can't afford it, its just to the point where I don't want to shell out that kind of money for the same trip year after year.

We just aren't going to agree. And honestly, that's ok. There's nothing wrong with disagreeing.

I think all the things being added are fantastic and i look forward to them, but the price point for what you get has reached the tipping point for me, at least to visit on an annual basis. It's not that i can't afford it, its just to the point where I don't want to shell out that kind of money for the same trip year after year.
Agree.
Each family has their value price point .. I am not being critical of yours.
I just think that as "repeat customers" we lose sight of the value of what Disney provides because only a small percentage of it is really "new" (or added value) after you have been a few times. It's REALLY hard to look past a price increase because you know "how it used to be".

But yes .. you'd think that Disney pricing will reach that tipping point for more and more guests. And they may be okay with that if they get less complaints about the crowds. The problem seems to be that for everyone that doesn't come back, there are others to take their place.

AND .. if Disney's aggressive pricing does affect attendance, they'll just offer discounts or perks like they've added in the past (Free Dining, EMH, etc.) to draw customers back.
Everyone loves a sale!

Why do you include the mall called Disney Springs into the added restaurants at WDW? Do you include a new Holiday Inn being built close to DLR or WDW as a new hotel for Disney too?

Why do you include the mall called Disney Springs into the added restaurants at WDW? Do you include a new Holiday Inn being built close to DLR or WDW as a new hotel for Disney too?
Because it is on Disney property -- accessible by Disney buses and available to make ADRs via Disney.
While it is not part of your ticket price .. it is part of the "resort" area... Just how Downtown Disney is part of DLR and how City Walk is part of Universal Studios.

It is something else to do while you on a Disney vacation -- thus it is added value.

My family goes to Disney Springs every trip and listening to the Disney music in the background, going to Guest Services (if needed), Pin Traders, World of Disney, Lego Store, Christmas store and grabbing a bite to eat and seeing what other extra attractions there (like Christmas Tree Trail .. or one time there was a Lightning McQueen M&G) is just as much part of the "value" of going to WDW as walking inside a park and riding a ride.

While yes, the "mall" part of Disney Springs is "meh", the rest of it is still pretty fun and exciting and filled with more exotic food and shopping than all of World Showcase.

I can travel for cheaper.
I love Disney. I love the feeling I get in the parks, the express, the buses, and the resorts. I love the cast members, the memories, and the overall experience.

But I can take a week in Germany, England, or Italy for less, watching soccer, going to museums, and eating exceptional food.

I want to plan a trip for my mother's 70th birthday coming up in June 2019, but that might be it.

Because it is on Disney property -- accessible by Disney buses and available to make ADRs via Disney.
While it is not part of your ticket price .. it is part of the "resort" area... Just how Downtown Disney is part of DLR and how City Walk is part of Universal Studios.

It is something else to do while you on a Disney vacation -- thus it is added value.

My family goes to Disney Springs every trip and listening to the Disney music in the background, going to Guest Services (if needed), Pin Traders, World of Disney, Lego Store, Christmas store and grabbing a bite to eat and seeing what other extra attractions there (like Christmas Tree Trail .. or one time there was a Lightning McQueen M&G) is just as much part of the "value" of going to WDW as walking inside a park and riding a ride.

While yes, the "mall" part of Disney Springs is "meh", the rest of it is still pretty fun and exciting and filled with more exotic food and shopping than all of World Showcase.
The difference is you don't need a ticket to go, and therefore i don't count it as part of WDW. If i buy a ticket, I spend the entire day in the park or a very nearby resort to eat like the Poly. I am guessing a significant portion of all WDW guests never go to DS and wouldn't consider their options as part of their Disney World vacation offerings any more than you would include other nearby restaurants. The fact is locals can go there to eat and shop without ever going near a park so no, this isn't really in the consideration in the equation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter