Are all off MCO car rental companies dishonest?

We're used either Alamo or Budget in the past and had no issues. I do agree though, when booking read the terms and conditions and I always avoid the 'upgrades' like returning the car without filling up, GPS and the like. Those are always uncharges that you can decline. I also avoid the Pay Now rates as they are usually non-refundable.

I prepaid the rental and declined all the upcharges last year at booking (Dollar) and was shocked at a $200 bill on return. Demanded to speak to a manager who reversed a little over half of it, but I should not have had to pay any of it.

After ranting about the off site car ren agencies, I used Avis and Alamo the last two times. Both were 1 day rentals. I rented from Avis in Kissimmee, returning to the airport and was told that the agency in Kissimmee was open until 5 on Saturday. I show up at 3:10 and they were closed. I show up at 9 the next morning and take the car for the 6 hours remaining on my rental and was told that the rate would be the same. It wasn’t; it almost doubled. I disputed the excessive charges on my credit card. Yesterday, I rented from Alamo and returned the car with 30 minutes left on my 1 day rental. The rate promised was $37.00. The bill that I received today was for that amount, plus $26.00, which isn’t explained. I plan on contacting Alamo tomorrow and find out what the charges were for and have them reversed. If that doesn’t work, I’ll dispute those charges with my credit card company. I always decline all extra services in the contract and pay the $2.50 toll at the airport and return the car full. I think that this is the last time that I rent a car in Orlando. My next two Disney visits will involve using Magical Express. I’ll make any off site trip to Disney long enough to justify driving my car both ways.

Sorry, some of this doesn't make sense to me...
After ranting about the off site car ren agencies, I used Avis and Alamo the last two times. Both were 1 day rentals. I rented from Avis in Kissimmee, returning to the airport and was told that the agency in Kissimmee was open until 5 on Saturday. I show up at 3:10 and they were closed.
Who told you that office was open? When I do a search for "Kissimmee, Fl Avis", I get three results. The one called Kissimmee Korner closes at 2 on Saturday (on their web page). The one at Old Town closes at 3 on Saturday. The one at Radisson Park closes at 3 on Saturday. This is all listed on their websites.

I show up at 9 the next morning and take the car for the 6 hours remaining on my rental and was told that the rate would be the same.
Huh? You had the car and had six hours left? I thought you were supposed to return to the airport? You returned to the Kissimmee location?

It wasn’t; it almost doubled. I disputed the excessive charges on my credit card. Yesterday, I rented from Alamo and returned the car with 30 minutes left on my 1 day rental. The rate promised was $37.00. The bill that I received today was for that amount, plus $26.00, which isn’t explained. I plan on contacting Alamo tomorrow and find out what the charges were for and have them reversed. If that doesn’t work, I’ll dispute those charges with my credit card company.
EVERY car company I've used has always given me (or emailed me) an itemized bill. Somewhere you're going to see where that $26 comes from.

I always decline all extra services in the contract and pay the $2.50 toll at the airport and return the car full. I think that this is the last time that I rent a car in Orlando. My next two Disney visits will involve using Magical Express. I’ll make any off site trip to Disney long enough to justify driving my car both ways.
Of course, that's your option, but I think there's a lack of comprehension somewhere. I find it hard to believe the same person got "scammed" (I know, not your word) by MULTIPLE rental companies at different times. Yes, one common denominator is "Florida", but another common denominator is the person who made the rental.

Sorry OP I've just not had the issues you've had..seems like maybe you're a magnet for rental car issues. I mean we've rented a lot and just haven't had the issues you've had sorry to say.

Still lots of questions like who told you the rental location was open til X time? Who are you booking through anyways as you phrased it "was told that the agency.." Sounds like what could have happened is the reservation you were booked for was cancelled or null and void when the vehicle wasn't picked up on the date and time it was reserved for--what time did you reserve the car for anyhow on that Saturday? Or did you not have an actual reservation at all?

Going with the theory that you did have a pre-booked reservation----So when you picked up a vehicle the next day you could have a non-discounted rate (assuming you had a discounted rate in your prior reservation).

Looking at Avis's website there are 3 locations in Kissimmee. One location closes at 2pm on Saturday (North John Young Parkway), another closes at 3pm (West Irlo Bronson Memorial Highway) and the last one closes at 3pm (Maingate Lane). None are open til 5pm on a Saturday in Kissimmee. This is information obtained directly from their website.

As far as Alamo listed on the website is the following: "There is generally a 29 minute grace period for daily rentals. If the vehicle is returned within 2 hours of the time it was rented on a subsequent day additional hourly charges will apply. If you return the vehicle 2 hours or more from the time it was rented on a subsequent day, you will be charged for an additional day of rental." You should check and see the time the vehicle was logged as checked in.

Huh? You had the car and had six hours left? I thought you were supposed to return to the airport? You returned to the Kissimmee location?
I took it to read because the location was closed when they went to pick up a rental vehicle they went the next day and had only 6 hours left on their 1-day reservation at that point.

It said on the email reservation that I got from Avis that the office at Old Town closed at 5. I pre book all of my car reservations. No, I didn’t check Old Town’s personal web site. it didn’t bother me much to only have 6 hours of car use on Sunday; having to Uber there twice did bother me. Driving to Orlando in 19 hours is much more enjoyable to me than dealing with airlines and airports, and then having to deal with car rental agencies in Orlando. On trips from now on to Orlando, if I don’t drive, I’ll stick with Uber. Last October, when an off site agen insisted I buy insurance from them for my 6 day rental, I ubered from my timeshare to WDW and back and it costs about the same as the original quote that I got from the rental agency. I’d hate to see how they deal with any damage to a car that was covered by a credit card’s liability package. I don’t need the aggravation anymore.

Put it this way, if you look like you can be taken advantage of, then chances are they will give it a try.
i think that they try to take advantage of everyone. I’m fairly easy going but to deal with these as#holes, you need to return the favor and cut them off when the BS starts.

It said on the email reservation that I got from Avis that the office at Old Town closed at 5. I pre book all of my car reservations. No, I didn’t check Old Town’s personal web site. it didn’t bother me much to only have 6 hours of car use on Sunday; having to Uber there twice did bother me. Driving to Orlando in 19 hours is much more enjoyable to me than dealing with airlines and airports, and then having to deal with car rental agencies in Orlando. On trips from now on to Orlando, if I don’t drive, I’ll stick with Uber. Last October, when an off site agen insisted I buy insurance from them for my 6 day rental, I ubered from my timeshare to WDW and back and it costs about the same as the original quote that I got from the rental agency. I’d hate to see how they deal with any damage to a car that was covered by a credit card’s liability package. I don’t need the aggravation anymore.
I don't know how you were reserving the car-that would be helpful information IMO

If I go to Avis's website and select 4pm for instance pick up on a Saturday for the Old Town I get this very evident message:

With all due respect you need to give more information. Throughout your posts you've been quite vague but advising of poor experiences.

I reserve my cars through 3rd party vendors. It clearly stated the hours of operation on the reservation as 9-5. Why would the Avis website allow a reservation from old town to mco from 3 Saturday to 3 Sunday unless that was physically possible? Is that clear enough for you?

I reserve my cars through 3rd party vendors. It clearly stated the hours of operation on the reservation as 9-5. Why would the Avis website allow a reservation from old town to mco from 3 Saturday to 3 Sunday unless that was physically possible? Is that clear enough for you?
It doesn't. I just went to Avis' website, selected the John Young pickup site, a random Saturday in Feb, and said I want to pick up at 5p. Here's what came up when I said "select my car" (same thing PP did)

Final posting. Alamo responded yesterday that I had been charged the extra $25 because the car had been returned 2 hours late. They removed the charge. The receipt that I got from Alamo at the time that I dropped off car said 12:50 AM. I rented the car from Alamo either at 1AM (on reservation), time that I finished second check in (1:15 AM) or time that I left Alamo par lot because of the line from first car not moving (1:40 AM). Take any of the 3 times and I still returned the car early. I wonder how many people don’t catch that mistake? I think that this is a systematic problem at least with Orlando car renral agencies, and maybe throughout Florida. I do know that I’ve rented my last car in Orlando.

It doesn't. I just went to Avis' website, selected the John Young pickup site, a random Saturday in Feb, and said I want to pick up at 5p. Here's what came up when I said "select my car" (same thing PP did)
View attachment 468034
if you are not going to listen and quote me inaccurately, I’m not going to respond anymore. I CLEARLY stated that the reservation was through a third party (pr Priceline but I would have to look it up), the reservation email stated the hours of operation as 9-5 and Avis accepted my reservation even though it was impossible to comply with the reservation. If the reservation was taken and the hours of operation are listed, I’m not going to the Avis web site to double check it. I guess there are a few here that do. Good for you!

Since there are a few people defending Avis, defend the fact that they charged me $30 extra because I picked up the car at 9 Sunday instead of Saturday and still returned it before 3 (my flight left just after 5)? the only way that I got my money back was disputing the charge because Avis wasn’t going to budge from their position.

if you are not going to listen and quote me inaccurately, I’m not going to respond anymore. I CLEARLY stated that the reservation was through a third party (pr Priceline but I would have to look it up), the reservation email stated the hours of operation as 9-5 and Avis accepted my reservation even though it was impossible to comply with the reservation. If the reservation was taken and the hours of operation are listed, I’m not going to the Avis web site to double check it. I guess there are a few here that do. Good for you!
You're right, I missed where you said it was through a 3rd party. My apologies. And if my email confirmation said the location closes at 5, I would not double check. However, I also wonder if the email confirmation was from Avis or if it was from the 3rd party site. If it was from the 3rd party site (probable), I don't see how you can hold Avis responsible.

As far as the extra charge, my guess is instead of a "one day" rental, they charged you "per hour" for six hours, and possible a walk up rate instead of a reservation. With vehicle rentals, it's important to understand what you're going to have to pay before walking away from the counter. Don't assume.

Ah yeah 3rd party stuff can be tricky. Avis wouldn't allow you to pick up a vehicle from a location closed as far as making a reservation as you can see by both of the screen shots a PP and I pasted in.

Maybe try to avoid 3rd party? IDK. I will say Costco does reflect the correct operating hours and will not allow you to book due to it being closed. If you happen to have a Costco membership that's a good reliable IMO way to book.

The interesting thing is I don't even really see a location open for the hours of 9-5 at least a quick look most were like 9-6pm and that was for a M-F thing. Wonder if that was the hours of availability to call the 3rd party company you booked through?

Final posting. Alamo responded yesterday that I had been charged the extra $25 because the car had been returned 2 hours late. They removed the charge. The receipt that I got from Alamo at the time that I dropped off car said 12:50 AM. I rented the car from Alamo either at 1AM (on reservation), time that I finished second check in (1:15 AM) or time that I left Alamo par lot because of the line from first car not moving (1:40 AM). Take any of the 3 times and I still returned the car early. I wonder how many people don’t catch that mistake? I think that this is a systematic problem at least with Orlando car renral agencies, and maybe throughout Florida. I do know that I’ve rented my last car in Orlando.
Yeah I figured it was related to when the vehicle was checked in; glad you were able to get that adjusted.

Since there are a few people defending Avis, defend the fact that they charged me $30 extra because I picked up the car at 9 Sunday instead of Saturday and still returned it before 3 (my flight left just after 5)? the only way that I got my money back was disputing the charge because Avis wasn’t going to budge from their position.
Yeah I already gave my thinking on the additional charge. The thing is rental car reservations aren't like you can just pick up the car whenever. They base their car availability on the reservations made and then typically leave some cars for walk-ups or same day bookings.

It's not just Avis but rental car companies in general base their rates on daily rates, pre-pay rates, early booking rates, walk-up rates, weekend rates, weekly rates, monthly rates, etc. Things a person does can impact that rate paid depending on the company.

In your mind your rate should have been based off of your reservation price for a pick up on Saturday but again your reservation may have been considered null and void when the vehicle wasn't picked up (for whever reason the confusion on the opening times) prior to close of business. Since you booked through a 3rd party you may have had a discounted rate perhaps, a daily rate offered by the 3rd party, a pre-paid option offered by the 3rd party, etc. Also this may be more the issue but Avis does have a No-Show Fee.

And it's not that we're defending Avis or Alamo for that matter.

Maybe the cautionary note is to be really really careful when booking through 3rd party because when your topic of this thread is about rental companies being dishonest but that's not the full story given that a bulk of your issues stem from booking through 3rd party and information not matching up.

Best of luck in the future though!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter