April 2019 Rental Car Thread

Bren's Mom

DIS Veteran
I'm assuming it's ok for me to start this? If not, please let me know!

Our last trip I paid $123 inclusive for a week out of MCO (that was an early December trip). I had sticker shock when I priced for the first time last week for our April 14-21, 2019 trip.

I was able to get a cancellable res for $270.23 with Budget (full size), but still hoping to get that down and be able to add an upgrade coupon to it.

Anyone have any better luck so far?

What codes did you use? I went through Priceline for a mid-size car from Fox (never used them before) for 8 days for $275.80. Other places are far more expensive right now.

My rates keep varying. We are looking for an 8 seater SUV like we have had the pst 2 years and I can’t find one via BJs. I did find a van but we’d rather the XL sub since we are beaching it for our trip.

We are looking for May 2-12, but usually discounts for April apply for May.. hopefully something comes out. We just got back last week from a week long stay. Paid $245 for 7 nights (including pre-paid fuel) for a Fullsize at Alamo (it was cheaper than the Standard) and ended up with a brand new (only 14 miles!!) Dodge Grand Caravan. Score!! Hoping for something similar this trip. We've had great luck our past three trips - 2 vans and a Kia Sportage.

I know it's early but I thought I'd keep this from sinking to low.

...and I must admit I do love getting a ridiculously low rental rate!

This is our first time renting a car and staying off property I am SHOCKED at rental prices We need a car April 23-May 5 For the size we will need its about $600USD, this seems a bit ridiculous. We are staying in Kissimee, so I wonder if it would be cheaper to uber and rent a car away from airport? When does everyone usually book their cars? Which companies are reliable with no hidden fees???? Thanks in advance.

The size of vehicle makes a big difference on the price. Only rent a large enough vehicle to suit your needs. Decline any of the 'extras' they offer like 'insurance' (they call it something else) or the 'fuel refill charge'. Always return the vehicle with a full tank to avoid excessive refueling charges. If you are licensed driver in the USA and already have car insurance, you never need what they offer. (I don't know the rules for someone traveling from overseas.)

Whatever else they offer (i.e. GPS unit, etc.) just decline and you will save quite a bit.

I cant say I found a super cheap rate as I am renting for one day from port canaveral to orlando. I found the best rate on costco travel but sometimes I have good luch with AAA travel site as well.

I don't think rental car companies offer much in the way of discounts, so probably should book your rental car when doing your trip planning. Smaller locations may run out of vehicles during peak times, so best to have yours reserved.

Has anyone ever booked a "pay now" with free cancellation up to 48hours before with Autoslash? They have Alamo rentals for reasonable but I'm not sure if it's better to wait it out and hope the pay later direct through the rental agency prices come down.

I don't think rental car companies offer much in the way of discounts, so probably should book your rental car when doing your trip planning. Smaller locations may run out of vehicles during peak times, so best to have yours reserved.

Keep checking they often drop as it gets closer.I have been going for years in April and never pay over 300. Usually I can find something close to $200 for 8 days.

I usually book a car when i first think about heading down, months out, but I always get better deals a few weeks out. Reserve a car now, but don't pay. I will start looking every day 3 weeks out, then keep reserving and cancelling till I have the lowest rate. Right now I have an economy for $304 for April 3-10. I would hope to see it get into the high $100s two weeks before I leave.

Prices are higher now than they were a few years ago.

Hi all,

Circling back around. I just went to change the times for my rental (same days, just picking up and dropping off 4 hours later) and the code I used is almost double! So I didn't make the time change. I chatted Budget and they said the rental is held for 15 hours so just leave it be and go to pick it up when we arrive.

I just tried a bunch of new codes I found, nothing even close to reasonable! But we did pick a crazy spring break week.

I'll keep trying, and if I find anything good will post it for you all. I'm thankful I got the cancellable res I did, but hoping to bring that down some! I do plan to try Priceline a few times before we go to see if I can get a 'name your own price' any less expensively.

I booked today. Taxes in it was $700 for two weeks (mid size) . It’s seems high. I will keep looking and cancel if I find a better deal

Has anyone seen any good deals for Easter weekend? We only need a tiny two-person car for late Thurs to late Monday, and the cheapest we’re finding is $70 per day plus taxes...

What codes has everyone used? I haven’t even seen any? We. We’d a car just from April 12-13 to drive up from FLL. I was just quoted $198! That’s ridiculous!

Rates finally coming down. Booked an Alamo minivan for 4/22 to 5/1. Started out at $635. Down this morning to $574. Booked and canceled original. Goal would be $350. Will continue to watch to get the lowest rate. Used Costco membership discount.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter