Apple users - do you get thrown out of the DIS?

UKDEB

Moderator Emeritus
Recently bought an iBook and I often get thrown out - usually when scrolling through a thread. I get the message 'Safari unexpectedly quit'. I don't have the problem with any other websites - just the DISboards. :confused3

We too have had this problem, use Opera or Firefox instead it will stop happening!I think there is a programming problem in the latest version of Safari!!Used to be fine before. GOOD LUCK from Wifey;)

What I've consistently noticed is that certain users use corrupted smilies, which normally display correctly in most browsers, but not in Safari. Usually these are found in signatures, and by simply turning of signatures in your prefs, you'll be able to browse most pages on DISboards in Safari.

Otherwise, take a look at Camino or Firefox for use when browsing these boards. It's definitely a limiting and annoying work around, but the only other real fix is for such users to remove these images from their signatures and posts.

The problem does appear to be caused by certain smilies. I turned the signatures off and it has made a big difference. But some pages still cause Safari to crash. These pages all have certain smilies in the main post.

I think one of the offended smilies is thewave.gif

i have been having the same problem. i think it is tiger. i use firefox or safari when i feel lucky, but also it is happening to me on some other sites.

Yes, it's definitely the wave. Scroll down the screen and watch what happens when you get to it! The problem is with the corrupted gif file, not Safari, is there any way we can get the site to remove/alter it? Posted on Firefox, BTW ;)

:thewave:

Firefox also occasionally has problems for me, but not nearly as often as Safari.

It is misleading to say the problem is with the .gif file. This problem originated with the release of Tiger (OSX 10.4). And any decent browser ought to be able to recover gracefully from bad .gif file rather than crashing uncontrollably. This still has to be considered a Safari bug, and Apple has work to do. I have reported this problem several times. Have you?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter