• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Appalling site regarding a GAC

LMC

<font color=green>aka 3senuf<br><font color=dark
This trip I finally got the GAC for my son with disabilities. I did it after our 6th day there as it was becoming harder and harder for him to handle the parks. I got the card and was told it was for a party of 6, including the person named on the card. We were a party of 7 but one of us adults would sit out any attractions where need be. So I could live with that policy of 6.
I was appalled, however, when we go to get on Small World and a group of FIFTEEN, yes 15, enter ahead of us with their dad/grandad who was riding a scooter. Then at another attraction, there were 17 in a group on one GAC card. Do the CM's not look at anyone elses card but MINE? Every attraction, the CM would take my card and read it, and see the name of the person it was for and that 6 guests are allowed.
Well that evening I went back by the GR desk to see if they would graciously change our card from 6 to 7. I explained to them what I saw with the large number going in on one card (I know it was all together as they all said, "we're with him") They reiterated that their policy was 6 people. I guess we could have tried to break the rule and get 7 in too but ya' know when it says this is the policy, I try to follow it!
I also got DS a wheel chair our last day there and it was a life saver!!! I don't think he could have walked 10 steps that day and it was New Yrs eve so we were to be there until mid-nite or later. We left at 6:30 pm!!! LOL.
We're a bunch of old folks.

I am not certain of what you saw but perhaps it was just a family that was together that got on Small World?

The ramps are only on one side of that attraction. They may not have been using a GAC at all. I thought GAC's were for invisible problems not scooters or wheel chairs?

We need a GAC and the number of people listed on it is counted at every enterance where we have used it.

Guests with disabilities or in wheelchairs can go through the alternate lines with themself and 5 others. Perhaps there was more than 1 person in the group with the GAC, more than one wheelchair maybe. I do know several years ago I went with some friends from school after a weekend workshop in Orlando and we were a group of 10 but with 2 of us in wheelchairs.

I never question ANYONE with a GAC card. When I was trained, this wasa HUGE ISSUE! I was told "Never ever question our GAC cards, assist and smile with quickness". Even if there is a party of 24, we let them ride to an extent. Those that are capable of riding usually agree to go through the fastpass line. It is really not fair for folks to abuse the GAC system, yet it frequently happens. I'm sorry about your experience....I sure hope they didn't question you @ Thunder Mountain. My brother is an awesome guy, but he has a learning disability...he doesn't quite catch on as fast as others. Should someone question him, I would go off into a rampage. Folks should also keep in mind that "alternate attraction entrance" (this usually means fastpass line, but not always) It doesn't mean GO TO THE EXIT! The wheelchair stamp means go to the exit now, hurry and smile basically. It all depends on the guest and the situation. The main goal is to make the guest smile without making any "differences" apparent to others. :-)
~Deja

We had only one situation (the Safari) where I approached the CM to ask how to handle our situation since we were a group of 10 and we had one in a w/c. I WAS going to ask if there was a place that the ECV could be parked if the person using it could walk the rest of the way, just not through the whole line. I already knew what the policy was, so I wasn't looking for special treatment. If there was no way to park the ECV, we were just going to split up. The CM insisted we all go together. Maybe because it was during value season?

It's true there is some abuse - we always limit ourselves too - just to be fair to everyone... and yes, we are treated very kindly and expediently. I think Splash Mountain sometimes has problems!

We went OTT one time - on our Make-A-Wish trip. We had one day with our extended family and there were 11 of us - not everyone went on rides though! We were all treated SO well...

I have always felt that kids on MAW, should be given the royal treatment. I would never in a million years want to trade a fast place in the line to have a child involved in MAW. Also, with their situations, some of them probably can't make it through a park all day, so let them in and have their fun so they can go "home" and rest.

Anyway, about the "15", we were in line right behind them on my sons GAC and they said party of 15 when asked by the CM and they all said we're with "him" meaning the one man in the scooter.

I just won't let this eat at me but it really made me mad since we only had one more in our party to get in but we always had one sit out since they told us only 6 could be admitted on the GAC. Next trip perhaps we will try to get all of our party in at one time. They will either say yes, or no and we'll go from there.

SueOKW said:
It's true there is some abuse - we always limit ourselves too - just to be fair to everyone... and yes, we are treated very kindly and expediently. I think Splash Mountain sometimes has problems!

We went OTT one time - on our Make-A-Wish trip. We had one day with our extended family and there were 11 of us - not everyone went on rides though! We were all treated SO well...

Last time we went on the safari ride at AK there was a family group of 15 with grandma using a evc and they were allowed all to ride together. Maybe on certain rides they can all jump in :confused3
The other thing that got me on that trip was that I was waiting in line for the Great Movie ride with my ds in his wheelchair. The guy in front of us told me that because we had a wheelchair we could jump to the front of any lines :rolleyes: I told him that it wasn't necessary and as long as the line was accessible we could wait with everyone else.

Tissa said:
Last time we went on the safari ride at AK there was a family group of 15 with grandma using a evc and they were allowed all to ride together. Maybe on certain rides they can all jump in :confused3
On the Safari, they actually have a totally different boarding area and separate trams for people with disabilities, so in that case, if they want to stay together, boarding at the wheelchair accessible place is the only option. A negative to that is the wait for the accessible tram is sometimes WAY longer than the regular tram (our longest wait was 40 extra minutes at a time when people in the regular line were walking right in).
The other thing that got me on that trip was that I was waiting in line for the Great Movie ride with my ds in his wheelchair. The guy in front of us told me that because we had a wheelchair we could jump to the front of any lines :rolleyes: I told him that it wasn't necessary and as long as the line was accessible we could wait with everyone else.
Some people believe that and it may be an explanation for what the OP saw.
There are people who just waltz right in; sometimes even going to the head of the other people with special needs.
Note:I'm not talking about people on MAW trips or with other very special needs; the situation I was thinking of was when a man came up at Jungle Cruise with a GAC and said the CM was "Required" to board him right away because he had a GAC. I know in his case, the GAC was not for alternate access - I think it was for waiting out of the sun. The CM was trying to explain that to him and explain that there was already a line of people with special needs waiting ahead of him (in a shaded area). The guy just saying the CM was required to let him board right away. Finally, the CM said it would not be fair to let them go ahead of all of the other waiting people, but he would ask if we minded. Someone said that it was not fair, but that we did not want to wait with someone who was so disagreeable. The rest of us agreed (because no one wanted to wait ahead of him).

I have to agree with LMC (op) because this has also happened to us many times. It is really hard for the CMs to stop the GAC abuse but I would think it would be easy to follow the 6 person limit rule. Many times we have others visiting the parks with us and I never even attempt to have more then 5 people ride with my DD. I think when it is 7 it might be easier to bend the rules but if you are like me you did not even want them to bend the rules just use the same rules for everyone.

I actually saw the six-person limit enforced once - on Space Mountain in DisneyLand.
They can take a ride vehicle off-line for easy boarding without delaying the timing of the ride.
There was a party of five people already waiting when I (solo) got there. The CM told me there would be a delay because we were waiting for the rest of the other group's party to get there from through the regular line! Works for me!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter