AP - More or less stress?

dijid

American Expat in France for a while
DH and I can't make up our minds on whether to buy APs and plan a return visit for next year. DD is almost 4, DS is almost 2. We'll be at OKW from 5/24- 5/31. We're trying to figure out if it will be more relaxing to spend 7 or 8 1/2 days in the parks, or 4 full days. Do we feel pressured to go every day and make sure we return in order to get our money's worth, or will we be more relaxed knowing that we'll be back and can catch it then? To make our decision more difficult, we are matched on a domestic adoption and are "expecting" again this summer. So next year's trip would be with a ~9 months old in tow.

Anyone want to chime in on their opinions? Thanks!

I bought APs for my family last summer and we love them! In the past we had either used park hoppers or UPH. I like the convienience of having APs. If we only want to go to a park for a few hours I don't feel like we lost a day of our passes. I have used mine for 13 days so far and have a 12 day trip planned for this summer. The main danger is wanting to go back often since you already have passes. ;)

Here's MY Chime!

BUY THE AP! The minute I got mine last August, soooo much stress was removed! No more commando-brain - no more stress, fretting about time, dealing with tired kids up too early to get in lots of park hours. Granted, it works better when park hours are extended! More band for the buck.

I upgraded my 4 day hopper purchased at check in before I used the last day. Since the first amount was already "budgeted in" and "spent" - it didn't feel like such a burden to add $168.00 more.

So far, I've logged 18 WDW days since last August - and we live in NY! Luckily I have SWA flying practically out of my backyard with amazing deals online and there are only 3 of us. Last trip a few weeks ago we took a timeshare tour w/ Marriott 4 nites and upgraded the 2 day ticket free from there into an AP for DS(11). Now it will just be DD(6) to think about tix. Decided on MNSSHP 4 days last fall in part because the tix were a separate event and I already had an AP and a day left on kid's hoppers.

Lots of it is a personal thing and the way you travel and budget. I used to get really stressed over the cost of park tix. You can pay almost any rate for hotels and meals - but if the purpose is to enjoy the parks and you only have "X" days - well, it just made me nuts. I AM on vacation and am a widow w/ a very stressful job and 2 kids so I also need the downtime at the pool and hanging out at the resorts.

Yes - and the free parking even if you're offsite, AP room rates and little 10-20% here and there... it's great!!

Can you tell I am a happy, happy Annual Passholder!???

Go For It!!! And let us know what you decide!:bounce: :bounce:

I think more days = less stress. We usually get the 10 day tickets, they expire after 21 days, as we can't save the days, we act more like a visitor with an AP, than a park hopper.

We visit the parks on 10 shortish days over a 2 week period, some days longer than others, but some days it may only be for an hour or two. I love that we can just come and go more or less 'as we please', and couldn't bear to go back to normal hoppers where I would have to worry about getting a full day out of each pass.

If you compare the prices of AP's to hoppers, I think the breakeven point is only something like 8 days anyway, so you don't need to feel obliged to go more often to get your moneys worth.

Next year we are trying to decide between the 10 day passes again, or splashing out on the Aps, which would mean planning a 2nd trip within a year.:)

I feel MUCH LESS stressed since I started buying APs over 2 yers ago.I always knew we'd be going back so it was the best thing for us to do.I like the fact that we can just pop into a park for a bite to eat or a quick ride on something and not feel like I'm wasting a day.When I had the Hoppers I felt like I needed to be there from the moment a park opened until closing at EPCOT...it usually stays open latest...to get my money's worth. I think that it's after 7 days you get your money's worth and believe me I sure get mine!!!:p The first year I used my AP over 30 days and I don't live in Florida!!

Add me to that list of happy AP holders too!! :earsgirl:

This was the first year we had APs & we loved them! It really is more relaxing. We are not renewing them, but I think it will be really hard to go back to park hoppers. I have a feeling that we'll end up either getting APs for our next visit or getting UHPs. We're spoiled for life now. :)

Look at the price difference and your budget. If you stress because you "spent so much on APs and now feel like you HAVE to get your money out of them" they won't be worth it. A lot of people will buy hoppers and only spend seven days in the parks on two or even three trips. However, if you look at the money and say "that isn't that much different" than APs are the way to go.

Some people can stress over $20. Some people will stress over $200. Some people need to get even higher than that.

I order APs for everyone in my family, even if we only have one trip planned. We usually stay more than 8 days anyway, which I've heard cost about the same for an AP or other ticket media. I love WDW, and would go 10X a year if I could, but usually go about twice in a 365 day period, as far apart as we can stretch the vacations. I can usually get a discount on my room with the AP, and there are some dining and shopping discounts as well. and free parking at the parks. It also helps me convince DH to go back!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter