AP Discount Watch and FAQ 2023. 10% - 40% off select nights July 11 - Sept 28; Oct 2 - Dec 25

I rarely book until discounts come out. This case was exception. We are going just for the final illumination show so absolutely no flexibility on dates. I booked at rack rate to guarantee we had reservations where I wanted them and applied a sf discount when it came out. But 99% of the time, we’re flexible and will bounce between 3-4 resorts that we like. I’ve never failed to find something at one of them so far.
Unfortunately, as a teacher, I am rarely flexible. All my fall dates are for school holidays and could not be moved. So, I suppose it depends on personal situation.

Normally I agree with you but if I had waited to book my October trip, I wouldn't have availability or would be paying more at a different resort with the discount than rack rate at my preferred resort, because Disney has raised prices since I originally booked. However May doesn't seem nearly as busy as October so OP is probably in a better position than I would've been.
Right nothing wrong with booking early and paying "rack rate" if you are comfortable with that price to begin with ... because that price (for the same time) goes up over time. Until Disney tightens up its cancellation policy on room-only discounts, we'll see people "pre-emptively" booking rooms many months in advance just to lock in a price and maybe get "lucky" with a discount. I've gotten lucky with discounts added to existing reservations the last few trips, but not so lucky this time.

I noticed that my rate I have locked in for my mid-October trip(no discount - $182/night - AoA - Mermaid rooms) is less than the $205 you can get now (not discounted ( and not available for these offers). As much as I would love to be able to get a discount on those rooms ($182 seems expensive in my mind for a Value resort), we don't mind paying that premium for the theming and new gondola transportation!

So .. in my case, I got a discounted ~10% rate simply by booking many months ago.

I booked an AP room rate, but won't be activating my AP until we get there. We figure we'll arrive at POP around 8pm and weren't planning on going to a park/DS that evening. We were going to go to Guest Services in the morning to activate our APs. Do we need to plan to go to GS at a park/DS the night we arrive in order to get the AP discount on the room?

Wow it really is a mess. I tried calling Guest Services because I need two of my reservations shortened (and modifying online won't allow you to change the dates unless there is new availability). The CM I spoke to had no idea what she was talking about. Said that I would need to speak to Disney Reservations to modify my reservation. I know for a fact that this isn't the case as I've had Guest Services make this kind of change many times in the past.

Basically, I need Sept 5th - 10th but I was only able to secure the discount by booking Sept 1st - 10th this morning. I don't need "new" availability for the 5th - 10th as my stay already includes those dates. I simply need Guest relations to modify the check-in date to the 5th to ensure I keep my discount.

I booked an AP room rate, but won't be activating my AP until we get there. We figure we'll arrive at POP around 8pm and weren't planning on going to a park/DS that evening. We were going to go to Guest Services in the morning to activate our APs. Do we need to plan to go to GS at a park/DS the night we arrive in order to get the AP discount on the room?
The first time I booked a trip using my AP I was in the same boat as you. I did online check-in before I arrived and had no issue. After I got my AP at GS when we went to the park I felt comfortable going to the front desk to ask for anything.
Edit: This was in May 2018.

it hasn’t been a problem in the past to activate your pass the next day, when you arrive late.
Wow it really is a mess. I tried calling Guest Services because I need two of my reservations shortened (and modifying online won't allow you to change the dates unless there is new availability). The CM I spoke to had no idea what she was talking about. Said that I would need to speak to Disney Reservations to modify my reservation. I know for a fact that this isn't the case as I've had Guest Services make this kind of change many times in the past.

Basically, I need Sept 5th - 10th but I was only able to secure the discount by booking Sept 1st - 10th this morning. I don't need "new" availability for the 5th - 10th as my stay already includes those dates. I simply need Guest relations to modify the check-in date to the 5th to ensure I keep my discount.
So, this is the way it’s been working for a while. Disney has implemented revenue management parameters, so that you cannot drop nights if the new reservation dates are not available (either they are booked up or the discount is not available). They are trying to entice certain lengths of stays and arrival days. Your best bet is just to keep watching online to see if your actual dates become available with the discount.

Website is really broken now. Click on any discount & get the space mountain we’re almost in orbit countdown screen. Starts at 2 minutes 30 seconds then freezes along the way or at zero. Happening on all my devices. Freezes & sometimes has restarted or gone back to home page. Great IT :rotfl2:
These are actually new ones to me, saw the Big Thunder one earlier today. Glad IT has their priorities straight.

So, this is the way it’s been working for a while. Disney has implemented revenue management parameters, so that you cannot drop nights if the new reservation dates are not available (either they are booked up or the discount is not available). They are trying to entice certain lengths of stays and arrival days. Your best bet is just to keep watching online to see if your actual dates become available with the discount.

I've had guest services make the modifications many times, including recently. I'll still be staying Sept 1st - 10th (1st - 5th at CSR and 5th - 10th at AKL). The only way I could secure the reservations was by booking 1st - 10th for both. They can't possibly tell me the discount isn't available for those dates because I already have the discount secured for those dates within those longer reservations. They'll get a heck of an earful from me if they try to state otherwise lol

I've noticed that they seem to be limiting the room options for the AP discount. More room types are showing up under the Fall and Holiday discount. The AP Discount only shows water view rooms for Beach Club, but the FH discount shows garden view and water view.
They always have different rooms available with different discounts. Sometimes the AP has room the GP doesn't.

Normally I agree with you but if I had waited to book my October trip, I wouldn't have availability or would be paying more at a different resort with the discount than rack rate at my preferred resort, because Disney has raised prices since I originally booked. However May doesn't seem nearly as busy as October so OP is probably in a better position than I would've been.
I believe we've said the same thing. I said if you are willing to pay the rate that you book well in advance, by all means do so. If you must have a discount or you will cancel, then wait.

The rather low discounts make the difference in price between Mods and Deluxe much larger than what we had seem over the summer.
Which I guess is why we are still seeing discounts. We book Deluxe, not Mod. I always think the lower percentage on Mod makes the gap large.

This time it's not on the CM. I think she's said the same thing but called it DisneyReservations instead of Guest Services. Just used the wrong nomenclature for the department that could alter your reservation. Or maybe that's what they call that department, the one we call Guest Services?

Saw that happening with all the Epcot area resorts I was trying to snag. 3 week nights? Nothing available. Need a week? ALL rooms are available. Don't the revenue management geniuses at Disney realize a normal consumer will just assume the system is telling the truth and take their business elsewhere? We're the oddballs out checking every single day for changes...

I've had guest services make the modifications many times, including recently. I'll still be staying Sept 1st - 10th (1st - 5th at CSR and 5th - 10th at AKL). The only way I could secure the reservations was by booking 1st - 10th for both. They can't possibly tell me the discount isn't available for those dates because I already have the discount secured for those dates within those longer reservations. They'll get a heck of an earful from me if they try to state otherwise lol
Let us know if you're successful.

Saw that happening with all the Epcot area resorts I was trying to snag. 3 week nights? Nothing available. Need a week? ALL rooms are available. Don't the revenue management geniuses at Disney realize a normal consumer will just assume the system is telling the truth and take their business elsewhere? We're the oddballs out checking every single day for changes...
No because if you want to stay at a Disney resort, where else are you going to take your business? Booking a Disney trip isn't like normal shopping

I noticed that my rate I have locked in for my mid-October trip(no discount - $182/night - AoA - Mermaid rooms) is less than the $205 you can get now (not discounted ( and not available for these offers). As much as I would love to be able to get a discount on those rooms ($182 seems expensive in my mind for a Value resort), we don't mind paying that premium for the theming and new gondola transportation!

So .. in my case, I got a discounted ~10% rate simply by booking many months ago.

Ok, I thought I was going crazy when I checked my non-discounted November and December reservations and the AP and Fall/Holiday rates were more than I paid! Good to know this is happening to other people due to rack rate increases, phew! I thought MDE was seriously messing up!

Ok, I thought I was going crazy when I checked my non-discounted November and December reservations and the AP and Fall/Holiday rates were more than I paid! Good to know this is happening to other people due to rack rate increases, phew! I thought MDE was seriously messing up!
Must be just the resorts we are staying in. They have not increased their rack rates. Lower percentage of discount yes. But my rack rate stay was higher than the AP rate by quite a lot.

It's pretty crazy... I had a GREAT rate for a standard room at POP by booking awhile ago. Now with the new rates I only saved $7 by booking with an AP discount but hey, that will buy (most of) a beer I guess. :drinking1Maybe if I'd woken up early there would have been something better...but its just not worth a 'maybe they will release them' when you are on the west coast.

No because if you want to stay at a Disney resort, where else are you going to take your business? Booking a Disney trip isn't like normal shopping
To one of the thousands of non-Disney hotel rooms surround Disney World. After all if all the good hotels at WDW are booked you better book something else in your hotel category quick. I still think they're shooting themselves in the foot.

Time to throw in the towel for the afternoon me thinks. The TA site is now showing the message "The Walt Disney World booking engine and Call Center are experiencing intermittent technical difficulties, and we apologize for any errors or delays you may experience. Our teams are working to resolve the issues as quickly as possible..."

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter