AP Credit

lancerguys

<font color=blue>Is very worthy<br><font color=red
I was just wondering how much credit some of you college people had going into college and if it was really helpful. I've heard that AP credit is pretty helpful in college and I've also heard it isnt really that big of a deal.

Thanks

I took college level Spanish my junior year of high school through the University in the High School Program from University at Albany. Boy, am I glad I did! I also took 6 credits of Business Law in HS (which, even if they only count as elective credits, the class was really interesting and usefull in life, FYI) and 3 credits of Marketing. Marketing and Business Law have nothing to do with my major, but I'm glad I've got a least 9 extra elective credits for when the course load gets rough. If you have to opportunity to take college classes in HS, do it. Not only does it give you a head start, but it is also a lot cheaper.

~Melissa

I only took 2 AP classes. I didn't feel like overwhelming myself with tons of AP classes my senior year like some kids at my high school did. So for me, it didn't really help. I just got placed a year ahead in French and instead of taking 2 years, I only had to take one.

BUT, I know some people do get a ton of credits for taking AP classes.

It let me skip two semesters of history (american and european), and earth science (environmental science), and a semester of chemistry.

It also raised the number of credit I had so I was able to sign up for classes early, which is good b/c all the good clases (ie non 8:05 classes) filled up quickly.

I took 2 English college classes my senoir year of high school. It accounted for ENG 101 and 201 when I went to college. I also took Calc which accounted for 2 math classes in college. So, I wen tin to college with 12 credits which is like having a whole semester under your belt. I was very glad I did it.

I took AP US History and I got a 3 on the exam so I'm exemept from 6 credits of 100 level history. I'm excited :)

It really depends on how you do on the tests and what college you're going to. I took 5 AP classes during high school, got three 3's, a 4 and a 5, and I'm getting 20 credit hours from AP tests at Ohio State. I also took some classes at OSU during my senior year through the Post Secondary program, and got another 20 credit hours from those.

Yeah, I got a 3 on Eng. Lit, 4 on Calc AB, and 4 on U.S. History, so depending on the college, I could get something like 9 credits from that. Will those credits be helpful in helping me get a head start towards my major by allowing me to take other classes? Or, would I have to take other classes from the same subject in place of the ones I got credit for?

I think a lot just depends on the university you decide to go to. I know that at CMU you have to take a bunch of "UP" course which are basically a bunch of different classes that let you try new subjects. My credits going in just made it so I didn't have to take as many of those, and could start my major sooner.

The schools that I've looked into all give credit for AP, but have different policies (example: for some schools, amount of credit depends on your score).

So, is AP worth it in the long run? I am only taking one AP class (AP Eng Lit). For those of you who have taken AP Eng, what are your opinions on it?

disneyangel7488 said:
The schools that I've looked into all give credit for AP, but have different policies (example: for some schools, amount of credit depends on your score).

So, is AP worth it in the long run? I am only taking one AP class (AP Eng Lit). For those of you who have taken AP Eng, what are your opinions on it?
I took AP English lit, and scored a 3. The school I'll be starting at in the fall would have granted me credit for that. I personally am not confident enough in my writing to go up to the next level of english, so I'm taking freshman english. I am taking the honors course in it though. I have 2 other test scores that are eligible for credit at UNH; they have my scores and have supposedly granted me credit. I could have had up to 12 credits, because of English, but because I'm opting to take English 401 anyway I'll have 8 from AP exams. It's not a waste to take the class. I'd look through a prep book for the AP test, and then decide whether you want to take the test or not. If you score well enough on the test it could be the best $80 you ever spent. It looks like I dont have to take a history class, which means in place of a gen ed at school I can concentrate on taking classes that interest me and hopefully figure out my major quicker. Same with having 4 credits from bio. That's one less science class I have to get out of the way :teeth:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter