Anything on the menu you don't like?

chubbyjen

Mouseketeer
I've browsed through the restaurant menus and everything looks yummy. I was just wondering if there is anything that you don't think is worth ordering. For example..something you ordered but just didn't taste good...and you would avoid next time. I know everyone has different tastes, but I was just wondering if there are any items on the menu (any of the restaurants) I should just not bother ordering. BTW, I'll be on the 4 night wonder. Thanks. :D

I am an adventurous eater and like trying different things. I also like a very wide variety of foods from a wide variety of cuisines. That said, there were a number of things that I did not like on the menus of our July 19th 7 night cruise. Among the things that come to mind: I had two different lobster bisques that were simply not good (I have eaten lobster bisque at least twenty times in a variety of restaurants and have always loved it). The baked alaska dessert also was not good. The lobster had good flavor but was very, very dry (and served without butter--I don't normally eat lobster with butter, but it might have helped moisten it). The lobster and shrimp wrappers were pretty gross, also. Two other people at our table at one bite and ordered something else (I ate my full order, but would not order it again). There were far more things that I liked and that were excellent than things that were not, but I was disappointed in the overall quality of the food.

A friend of mine that has cruised on DCL told me that DCL prepares the meat dishes well and the starters, but that the seafood is overcooked.

As an opposing opinion, I thoroughly enjoyed all of the seafood dishes that I had! I'm not really a "meat person", and usually order seafood whenever I eat away from home, and found all the seafood dishes to be well-prepared and tasty. I will admit that, on both of my two previous cruises, I ordered no meat dishes at all, so I can't tell you anything about them!

Beth

had the grouper 1 nite (can't recall which location) and it was not very good--suggest rethinking this choice! On semi-formal nite, Lobster was served by waiter and was followed by same waiter a couple minutes later w/butter to spoon on top if desired. Ditto on the lobster and shrimp wraps--not all that great. In fact, many appetizers and soups were not all that great. Main course and desserts were better, on the whole.

Had a FABULOUS Ribeye steak when doing casual dinner at Topsiders 1 nite (this was a sit-down service with extraordinary service, not during a buffet meal such as lunch or breakfast). I loved this setting, food, and service so much, we considered abandoning our dining room rotation in favor of it!!

I guess opinions differ--I thought the potato crusted grouper was one of the best things I ate on the cruise and it met the standard of "excellent". I wonder also whether it matters if one has the first or second seating for some of the items. We had the second seating.

I think the food is great, and if I tried something I was not sure I would like - and didn't like it - it was quickly replaced by something that was YUMMY!!:D

We have been on three previous 4 night DCL crusies and are going on our first 7 day in April. The post about the Topsider evening menu is interesting since we did not have that on our other cruises.

Was it busy? What about variety?

On the DVC Member cruise this year the Pumpkin Cheesecake at Topsideres was so good I had two pieces and had to take a nap!

Thanks!

JW

After working in the food business for 10 years I have come to one conclusion and that is everyones opinion of food differs greatly. What one person thinks is horrible is a culinary masterpeice to another. My plan would be to go with an open mind order what you want and if you don't like it simply tell your server and order something else.

What do you do if both DD'S and DH are very picky. They are meat and potato. Can you order steak or fish with just a potato. No sauces or veggies. I can hardly wait myself. I will get to try all kinds of food that I don't get to try at home. Thank you

My plan would be to go with an open mind order what you want and if you don't like it simply tell your server and order something else.

...but then I feel so bad wasting the food I ordered. :(

we enjoyed our food every night (most everyone's fave was the palo salmon). the only thing i turned away was the celebration cake for dessert (at least i think that's what it was called) it was pretty awful.

Originally posted by Macmonster
We have been on three previous 4 night DCL crusies and are going on our first 7 day in April. The post about the Topsider evening menu is interesting since we did not have that on our other cruises.

Was it busy? What about variety?

JW

Yes, we were surprised by this place as we went up there expecting just a buffet. For the children, they still had a kids menu. For adults (or tweens, teens, etc.) they had a very nice menu with different selections including appetizers, first course, main courses, and desserts. If my memory serves, they had at least 5 choices for main course inlcuding fish, chicken, and beef as well as a pasta dish. I had soup, ribeye, baked potatoe, and crisp vegetables. DH had salmon, DD 12 had ravioli. For desert, I believe they had several to choose from--can't remember what I had. I got the impression this dining room was not like this every nite, and perhaps only on 1 side, as the kids go up here when dining with the groups. (we dined on the port side).

The service was even better then we received every other nite in the main dining area!! We left an extra tip here as I'm not certain servers in this area receive gratuities (and we did not lower our main servers tips just because we chose not to eat with them that nite). It was not busy (probably less than 20 people there between 6:00 and 7:00) and we were seated at a beautiful table overlooking the ocean. The smaller number of guests likely played a role in our fabulous service as Virgilio (sp?) was extraordinary. We would have liked to have him as our server for the entire cruise. :)

Thank you for the info! This sounds like a great alternative for that night when we really do not want to be driven by schedules.

Don't worry, BALAMAV. In January they offered plain grilled chicken, steak, and fish as an alternative every night with fairly plain vegatables as an accompaniment. I'm not sure how old your DDs are, but the children's menu offers all the standard kinds of things - hot dog, mac & cheese, pizza, PB&J and chicken strips were offered at every meal, if I recall correctly, and there were two specials every day as well. Don't worry - they definitely won't go hungry!

The only entree that I didn't care for was the veal chop in Animator's. Try it on a second cruise just to make sure. It's one of the recomendations and as a previous poster stated, we've had tablemates who have loved it.

For now Animators is our Palo night since the Parot Cay menu has been vastly improved.

Thanks for everyone's input! I really do appreciate it! :D

Tony, I wanted to ask you...or anyone reading this for that matter. :p This is my first cruise and I really wanna go to Palo with DH, which restaurant should I skip? I know there is another thread similar to my question regarding a 3 night cruise...however we are on 4 night cruise and therefore I believe we will also have the Master Chef to choose from. I've been hearing different things...skip Tritons, skip Parrot Cay, skip Master.....So, what is your advice for a first-timer on a 4 night cruise? Thanks. :teeth:

BALAMAV:

Don't worry your picky eaters will be taken care of and you for once will get to sample all the things you never get a chance to taste at home. My DH and children are incredibly picky, no sauces, combined foods or flavor to anything they will eat. My DH was able to get all of his food without sauce and they way he wanted it.

I don't eat much but I wanted to try anything that was different. Most nights they brought me several different meals to try. I think that was the most enjoyable part of the cruise, not worrying about what everyone else ate and having someone bring you so many different things to taste. If the kids live on chicken fingers, fries and Mickey bars for a week, who cares. It's only a week and they will survive.

Thanks all. One less thing to worry about. What everyone will eat. I am so glad for everyone on these boards sharing all the info. If it wasn't for your genorosity in sharing. I think you coulld go crazy trying to plan everything. I don't know how people plan any other trip because I am sure not every vacation spot has a place to talk to people who have been there. Thanks again I'm sure I will have plenty more ???. We don't go till May

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter