Anyone with experience taking the family to Barcelona, London and/or Paris

In Paris, we had a lovely meal for DD23's birthday. She just went online and looked for what she wanted. She chose a fondue place--it was lovely--and we took cabs to/from our hotel. My point is, you can find great places to eat, especially if you go just a bit off the beaten path. You'll probably do just as well or better by wandering, versus taking someone's specific recommendation, looking it up, mapping out how to get there, etc.

As to picnics along the Seine--we took a boat tour, and saw many people just sitting along the edge of the river. There are steps down to the embankment, and it has a brick edge--people were dangling their feet over the edge of this. Again, just go and look, I don't think you need to find an exact spot ahead of time.

In London, the pubs have issues with underage children. Our tour included a visit to an "authentic English pub", where we had dinner. The pub had to close it's doors to the public and couldn't serve alcohol because of the children inside. The food was okay, but it was far from "authentic", in my eyes. DH/DS21 had much more authentic pub experiences on a trip to Scotland/Ireland, but there weren't children involved.

As far as learning the language--it's admirable to want to learn the language, and I strongly encourage you to at least learn basic phrases ("where is the restroom?" "Can I get a taxi?"). Fact is, though, that most Europeans, especially in cities, speak English. We found that the Parisians woudl be more impatient with tourists butchering their language, while Italians appreciated that you at least made an effort.

P.S. If you'll be walking distance to the London Eye, chances are you can also walk to Borough Market (depending on the direction). Our tour did a Shakespeare walking tour from one to the other. Or, you could take a taxi, if you're staying in the other direction.

Following along also. Have recently decided to branch out our travels and want to do an International Trip in Summer of 2020. DS will be 21 an DD19. We have decided on Europe but have not narrowed down where to go or how many places we should plan for. It all seems so overwhelming . I really don't know much about Europe. I just ordered a few books on Amazon so will have to delve into those. A European Cruise is also a possibility.

Will have to research all the places everyone on here has mentioned. Kids of course want to shop for designer goods (which I would imagine would be all around). Basically most of our trips since they were little were to Disney or on a Cruise (with a few trips to Colorado and one to Cabo thrown in). So, way out of my comfort zone here and love hearing all the ins and outs from those that have been there or live there.

My family, especially my younger teen wanted to visit several of the Paris cafes frequented by past famous writers and artists. I know we ate at a few such as Cafe De Flore and Le Deux Margot. We also had a great lunch at the famous and beautiful Cafe de la Paix next to the Opera house.

I think I'm chickening out on Airbnb. It is a nice idea, especially for my larger family. I'm just a little nervous to try it. This is a big trip and far away. I'm more comfortable not getting ripped off and more comfortable with our safety to use hotels. We are looking at Park Place County Hall in London and Eifle Seine Hotel in Paris (also looked at Holiday Inn Paris-Canal de la Villette). We haven't started looking at Barcelona hotels yet.
My dd lived in England for 6 months last year, and she used Airbnb a few times traveling the area, by herself. She had good experience every time.

For anyone trying to decide what Parisian neighborhood to stay in they might find this article of use. It doesn't speak of all the arrondissements but gives a good description of the ones chosen by the writer:

https://www.architecturaldigest.com/story/paris-neighborhood-personality-guide

and here is a blog entry that gives a succinct and pretty accurate (IMO)breakdown of every numbered neighborhood:

https://youngadventuress.com/2013/02/paris-arrondissements-guide.html

This article gives a tongue and cheek version of the 10 no go areas in Paris yet still offers some great info:

https://www.thelocal.fr/20170223/the-ten-real-no-go-zones-in-paris

HTH

If you've never traveled in Europe before, be aware that hotels do not charge by the room/bed, they charge by the person. A double room is for 2 people, not 4. IME, city hotels seldom have rooms large enough to accommodate 4 people, so family travel often will require multiple rooms. What in the UK are known as "short-let flats" are usually your best bet when traveling with a family party of 4 or more.

PS: Country pubs and city pubs tend to be a different animal. In the cities, pubs hew much closer to licensing laws and often bar kids under 18 or 16, but in rural areas, particularly in Ireland, pubs tend to function more like community centers, and IME, children tend to be much more welcome there, at least earlier in the evening.

The Elizabeth Tower which contains Big Ben is completely covered by scaffolding at this time as is a lot of the Parliament Building. Both are undergoing extensive renovations.

It’s a quote from one of the National Lampoon movies. I think it’s @Gumbo4x4 who always gets a kick out of it and now I can’t stop using it any chance I can LOL

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter