Anyone with a 5th wheel???

fantasymagic

<font color=deeppink>Prefers fantasy to reality<br
We've decided to sell our pop-up and move up to a hardside. With two teenage boys, we've kinda outgrown it.

We weren't really considering a 5th wheel because we thought you would then be limited to a p/u for towing. And I'm a little worried about the bed above the truck being not very high (claustrophobic).

However, someone told me that 5th wheels are actually easier to steer and back up.

Anyone have any thoughts one way or the other for a fifth wheel? Or any other thoughts for someone moving up to a hardside??

Thanks and pixie dust to you all.

Thats quite an upgrade in the works, you need to head to the RV dealers and look around at trailers and Fifth Wheels, fifth wheels typically have the bedroom in the front, some are higher and you can stand up without hitting your head, the down side on a 5er is they need a usually need a larger truck due the heavy Pin weight, they also take up most of the truck bed, One fiver I am currently interested in the titanium by glendale, this looks to be a good rig. http://www.titaniumrv.com/ , We have a 31 foot trailer, it has a large slide out which adds a great deal of room, i have not had a problem backing, once you get used to it, its not as hard as you might think.

Good luck on your quest for a new rig:D :D

A 5th wheel would be a big upgrade for you, but you should consider it. Most fivers nowdays have lots of room, with slide outs to expand the living space. They are not any harder to backup than a trailer, and they are much easier to hitch up because you can see the pin and the receiver.

The biggest mistake people make when choosing a 5th wheel is not having a big enough truck to handle it. Be sure that your truck has enough towing capacity to be safe and legal.

We ourselves only have a pop up, but many in our family have 5th wheels. I would agree that the truck is the main thing to consider when choosing your camper. When my dad got his first 5th wheel he couldn't believe how much easier it was to handle than his travel trailer or pop up he had had in years past. He loves his and have upgraded many times with larger campers. He pulls his with a F350 turbo diesel, my uncle the same and another uncle a dodge diesel.

Just something to think about. While the 5th wheel will be great once you're set up, remember that while on the road it will be the 4 of you in the truck. So when looking at trucks, keep that in mind also....What would it be like driving xxxx miles with 4 of you inside.

I guess we really need to do some looking around. AND make sure the teenagers still even want to go camping with us.

We just had a great time when we camped at FW in 2000, I thought it would be fun to do it more often.;) :D

We camp with a fifth-wheel and absolutely love it. We started out with a motor-home, moved to a 30' travel trailer and now have a 36' FW with slide-out. We also have 3 daughters and they usually bring a friend along on the trips. We pull it with a Dodge 250 Diesel (crew cab) and my husband says that it is the easiest RV he has ever had to deal with ..... says that it is a huge improvement over the travel trailer and motor home. Our fifth-wheel has bunk beds and two bathrooms to accomodate all of us (with girls we never had enough mirror or bathroom space .... LOL). We are so pleased with it that we never anticipate getting rid of it ..... we have finally found perfection. Good luck in making your choice!

Hi,

We upgraded from a 24ft. TT to a 30ft. FW and love it! We have two teen girls, and a 7 yr old son. We needed more space.
We tow with a Ford F350 CC. Hubby loves the truck and the camper. He says the FW is easier to handle then the TT. We had a smaller truck before, so didn't feel like we were losing space there. Good luck with the upgrade.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter