anyone who's been there recently..

WickedWench

Ruthless Pirate turned Polynesian Princess
How crowded are the parks? Was it difficult to get into restaurants? I only made one lunch PS for Blue Bayou, because I knew that would be hard to get into regardless of crowds, but I would like to eat at Napa Rose one night.

I was there today and I would say it is busier this off season then it has been in the past. If you go during the week like I did it won't be too bad. Fridays and Saturdays are the worst.
JenJen

It was very crowded on Sunday, still crowded but not as bad on Monday, Tuesday, not bad on Wednesday. We got back yesterday. I agree that this October seems to be off to a much more crowded start than those in the past. We really didn't wait too long on any of the days for any of the rides, but we used fast pass. We could easily view the parades, and had a wonderful time. The PHOTO line was the worst as always. It takes soooo long. Have a good trip!

I was there last Friday and it wasn't bad at all. We got to DL at 9:15 and were able to ride all the major things in both DL and DCA, with rerides of Space, Splash, Indy, and Haunted Mansion by 8!

That's a relief. With the hotels being booked solid, I was worried it would be really bad. Thanks! :>

^Are you referring to the DLR hotels being booked solid? I have been wondering if when the DLR hotels (PP, DLH, GCH) are sold out, if that is indicative that the parks will be busy. With so many other hotels in the area, it seems as if it's possible that the resort could sell out and it still be not crazy. Anybody have experience with this and could say what they saw? Because it seems like the DLR hotels sell out more frequently than others.

noryglory said:
^Are you referring to the DLR hotels being booked solid? I have been wondering if when the DLR hotels (PP, DLH, GCH) are sold out, if that is indicative that the parks will be busy. With so many other hotels in the area, it seems as if it's possible that the resort could sell out and it still be not crazy. Anybody have experience with this and could say what they saw? Because it seems like the DLR hotels sell out more frequently than others.
I think it's more than the DLR hotels. We had already made a reservation at the HoJo's for a long Halloween weekend but last week I was checking the hotels within walking distance and most did not have a room for the four nights we will be there. I had seen on another thread that the national Red Hat Ladies meeting is being held at DL the week/weekend after Halloween, but I wouldn't think that all those ladies would get there *that* early.

We just got back today! We were there for 3 days and it was not to bad. It was pretty crowded on Friday but they stayed open til midnight. We did everything we wanted to do Wednes. and Thurs. so Friday was a bonus day. It was very warm on Thursday. Lines were long for the big rides Splash Mountain (70 mins.). Use fast pass and baby swap if you can. We ate at odd times so lines were ok. Overall it was a good trip. We are pretty tired but we had fun. Planning a grown up only trip in Feb. :earboy2:

I think making a PS for the restaurants is a good thing.
I made mine at BB this past friday and was glad. People were being turned away left and right. They said that BB was booked solid for friday and saturday.

I'd say make the reservation if you already know where you want to eat.

I was there on Friday, and I would say DL, in some areas, was packed!! I have definately seen longer lines at Christmas, but there were a ton of people from out of town (we could tell because of the conversations of people the we overheard in the lines), especially for this time of year. Anyway, there were a ton of locals there as well because when we got there, around 5:30 pm, the parking garage was just as crowded as it would have been coming in the morning (a lot of late, local arrivals). We parked one level from the top of the garage, all the way in the back. I am sure the people coming behind us were parking on the roof. Inside DL, once they start the traffic lines for Fantasmic, meaning in through Frontierland and out through Adventureland, it just was aweful. And once the fireworks stopped, forget it - the traffic jam was on. People trying to get out, while others were trying to get in for the second showing. It was nuts - but we still had fun.

I was there last week. My only suggestion is don't go on a Saturday. The weekdays - Thursday and Friday were bearable. Thursday was better than Friday.

Just there last night (Sunday) and the crowds were unusual. There seemed to be a lot of people there, but by DW and I rode POTC, Indy, Jungle Cruise, Haunted Mansion (w/Fastpass) and Buzz while only being in the park from 6:30-8:30. I think our longest wait might have been the entrance to the park.

I'm here right now! Sunday was our first day at DL and it was pretty busy, but got a LOT done in the few opening hours, even without EE. The crowds definitely started gaining around 11, but we managed to avoid any major lines with fastpass after that. Went back for the fireworks, what a mess! I'm glad I saw it, but will definitely get there earlier friday and stake out a closer spot (we were at the north end of main street about 40 minutes before showtime, and all the big explosions were behind a tree to the left!) We decided not to fight the crowds out and managed to do Buzz (fp) matterhorn and storybook land without much wait, by then the crowds had thinned and we exited before the 2nd showing of fantasmic.

Today I was by myself (my friends went to Magic Mountain) and did Fantasyland EE, it was pretty crowded pretty quick! I'm sure it all has to do with Columbus Day. Went to Space, iasw, RR, Pirates, HMH, Pooh, Splash, and lunch all before noon! (did single rider for splash, but the rest were 10 minutes or less!) Then went to DCA and it was pretty crowded! Half hour for ToT (what a disappointment, but I won't go into that now!) and lots of tour groups it seemed. Ugh. Anyway, in the room now, it's almost 4 and I'm going to have a nice dinner at 5:30, then going to try Fantasmic tonight and use up my fastpasses I collected earlier, if I'm still moving! lol

Having a Magical Time!

I think the Angels being in the playoffs might be causing more crowding. Today the game was played in Anaheim.

Baseball playoffs may be playing a big part in extra ppl this weekend, but for Sept/Oct so far, it definitely has been busier. Best bets are weekdays, avoiding Friday nights and Saturday. Unfortunately, that's when us AP's come out and hide from the world for awhile. :Pinkbounc

Janomi said:
Baseball playoffs may be playing a big part in extra ppl this weekend, but for Sept/Oct so far, it definitely has been busier. Best bets are weekdays, avoiding Friday nights and Saturday. Unfortunately, that's when us AP's come out and hide from the world for awhile. :Pinkbounc
I was at DL last time the playoffs were in town and it didn't seem any busier than usual. In fact, a few people staying at the hotel for a DL trip ended up going to the game. Who knows with this wacky season, the windy city people might just overrun DL. I'll be there this weekend and will provide an update when I get back.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter