• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Anyone w/disABILITIES do Discovery Cove?

disneynutsss

I'm a Disney Nut!
We are going down in November and bringing my wheelchair bound mother with us. We are going to rent an ECV. There is next to nothing regarding this on the Discovery Cove website. Was wondering if anyone has gone to DC and could let me know what parts of the park were accessible. Mom can get in and out of her ECV and walk small distances. I would love to see her face swimming with the fish/stingrays/dolphins if possible!!

Hi - we went in February. DC has special beach wheelchairs but you need to reserve these in advance as there are not many of them. The wheelchair is needed to get from section to section (ie tropical reef to birds, birds to dolphins) as it is all sand. If your mother is able to transfer in and out of the water (with your help) then she will be able to do everything - it is a great place. :Pinkbounc

Sue

We took our DS to swim with the dolphins there on 4th July and the DC staff were absolutely wonderful with him. The dolphin interaction was the highlight of our trip. We had a perfect day and no accessibility issues at all.

If you call or email to guest services at DC they will have one of their beach wheelchairs waiting for your mother when you check in. You do need to reserve them in advance although there is no charge. They have large beach ball wheels and are easier to manoeuvre on the sand, although we found, a bit tricky on the pathways. All the pool areas have either zero entry or a ramped section with a rail into the water so your mother should be able to park the chair quite close and walk with some support if she needs it. There are plenty of staff on hand to assist and advise you.

The park is a beautiful place and I'm sure you will have a wonderful time there.

Thank you everyone for posting this info. We plan on going to DC and were wondering how accessible it was.

loadsapixiedust said:
They have large beach ball wheels and are easier to manoeuvre on the sand, although we found, a bit tricky on the pathways.

they are definately harder to push than a standard wc on pavement, but they're terrific!

BTW, DH and I thought this was the best day of our 2-wk vacation. you're gonna love it!

-dj

Thank you all so much for the information, cannot wait to see moms face!

On the phone DC said that they have ramps into each water attraction that will make it easier too!!

Val

"74 MORE DAYS!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter