Anyone use Think Tank Trifecta backpack?

kcp1377

Mouseketeer
As always, an upcoming trip to Disney makes me re-think my photography bags. I am pretty well set with shoulder bags and slings but would really like a backpack for days when I want to bring a tripod and/or more gear. Has anyone used the Trifecta series? I'm leaning toward the 10 simply because it can fit a dslr, iPad and has a waist strap for easy access to the back panel. But then again, the 8 is a bit smaller and still fits a dslr. I love TT bags and need a backpack that has side access, so this seems like it would be a good option. Alternatively, the Everyday Backpack by Peak looks great as well, but the inside is just a large open space, so not as good an option for me since I tend to bring snacks and little things that I need. Just looking for people who might have used one of these (or had suggestions for other backpacks in the same size range that I might have missed).

ETA: I should note that I'm looking to carry my 5dmiii and up to 2 lenses (usually a 16-35 or 24-70 and 35L). The rest of my lenses will stay home and the 70-200 won't be coming with us. My mirrorless kit right now is only a Fuji xt10, 18-55 and 35, so size isn't a worry there at all. It's so tiny!

And just because... my current strategy is this... For short DSLR days, Think Tank Turnstyle 20 or a Tenba byob 10 in my hobo bag (it converts from messenger to backpack as needed). Long dslr days, days biking around the resorts or nights at the park (when I'd want a small travel tripod) I'd like a backpack. Then mirrorless days I have a Lowepro passport sling iii or a Billingham Hadley small. (Even though the camera itself is small I still need to bring kid stuff with me.) I love how small the mirrorless is, but I really need to pick up another lens or two before I feel comfortable using it as much as I do my dslrs.

Hi!!!

I am a new owner of the PD Everyday 20L backpack and I bought it with the intent for daily use, such as walking around the city, an amusement park, hiking, or any sort of daily outing. Basically as the name implies 'everyday' use. With regards to your point about bringing little extras and such with this bag, I find that I tend to use the side accesses [both of them] for camera and lenses [i can get 2 sony A7x series cameras w a few smaller lenses or 1 A7x w 1 or 2 larger lenses [100 F2.8 or 70-200 F4, for example] AND I set up the compartments / dividers so that the top access to the bag is empty so I have room for my little extras [Snacks, windbreaker, towel, small souvenirs etc...the 2 side pouches are perfect for H2O bottles -which my teen age kids tend to take over very quickly!!].

In any case, not trying to sway you, I do agree TT bags are very nice bags, just want to share my opinion so far on the Everyday backpack in hopes to give you a better picture of what you are possibly passing on. I've owned my PD for about a month or so now and i can say there is really only 1 thing i don't like about it...but it's something i deal with on ALL backpacks...the buckles on the straps where the padded part ends and strap begins, tends to rub/dig into me, but I am a big guy [6'1" - 260lbs], so I just add a lil extra padding via a sweat band or foam padding [I've gotten pretty good w a needle and thread!!].

Hope this helps and have fun deciding on a bag [IMO its like planning for an upcoming Disney trip...All part of the MAGIC!!]

-Kungaloosh

Thanks for chiming in! I absolutely love how the PD bags look. They really are gorgeous. How is the quality in your opinion? When you put things in the top, do you put them in a bag so they stay together? Or just put them in? It's so hard to get an idea for how that works IRL. Somehow youtube videos just aren't doing it for me this time. Do you feel like it's a good size for a disney bag? I am not usually a backpack girl, but the idea of not having my dslr equipment on one shoulder is really appealing.

Hey KCP,

Sorry for the delay. Life has been busy, lol. I agree the bag looks and feels GREAT!! The quality is very high end. It might not look like it, but once you feel the bag and how the straps rotate, or how the zippers open/close, you realize very quickly A LOT of thought and effort went into creating these bags!!

The bag comes w 2 dividers I believe? maybe its 3 [im not at home so i cant check just yet]. All dividers tend to fold upwardto create 3 'pockets' [for lack of a better term]. So if I have small items to load to the top of the bag, i just fold up a portion of the divider. Again, another small but exceptionally well thought out piece of these bags, IMO. So i dont find a need to wrap anything...not even the lenses I own [some expensive some not so much].

As for the size of the bag.... I bought the 20L...i figured smaller would mean i would carry less, but I do at times feel like I would use the larger 30L, but cant afford both just yet. Yes the 20L is a good size for a camera, a few lenses [big and small] my Green Pod [beanbag] a small flash [sony HVL F20M] w room for small extras, but I would just love to try the 30L [being a typicall american, i cant comprehend the size difference in liters, lol. Also, I find myself looking at the bag on my back in a mirror and it seems small on me??? I am use to seeing a backpack cover my entire back usually. This bag does not. I thinnk this is a good thing however!! Lighter, less retail space taken up which means, at least for me, less discomfort.

Again, in case you havent realized, I am LOVING the bag so far! So much so that i am hoping to get the messenger one and possibly the 30L that Peak design makes [maybe if Santa is nice to me this year???...in case my wife is reading this...<cough>, <cough>, hint hint!!] LOL

Good luck again and

KUNGALOOSH!!

Just realizing I never thanked you for such great info, DizBee Brian! I did end up going with the Turnstyle (hated it - it cut across my chest and couldn't get it comfy so I gave it to my son) and picked up a TT Streetwalker. The Streetwalker is huge and sticks so far out that I use it when doing professional shooting with my DSLR gear but it's too big for me for travel/everyday type of use. Finally broke down and ordered the PD Everyday backpack this morning. In fact, this post popped up when I was researching yesterday! Haha! I'm very excited to try it for our next trip and wish I had listened to you in 2017 when I was first thinking about it. Would have saved me some $$! I have their 5L sling and it's fantastic for quick trips with my XT2 and a couple of lenses.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter