Anyone use Shakeology?

cindy21494

<font color=660099>Just the facts, ma'am<font colo
I'm looking into protein shakes for after my runs (training for the Wine and Dine Half Marathon). Anyone use Shakeology? Do you like it? Any good recipes?

I ordered the sample pack that gives you one of each flavor to see what I like. I heard you need to give it about two weeks before you start to feel results, is that accurate?

Cindy, I am a HUGE Beachbody fan. I have several of their programs. I was a Beachbody coach for a while a few years ago. I think their programs work. I tried Shakeology once and couldn't get it down. It was chalky and grainy, IMO. I know people love it and swear by it but I just couldn't take it. They may have changed it since because they have added some new flavors but I know I wouldn't try it again. I hope you like it because I do know it works for people who can handle the taste and texture.

My husband liked it. I couldn't use it because when I did research on it I discovered some of the ingredients interfere with medications I'm on. My husband ultimately decided against it. Why? He doesn't agree with the pricing structure. Shakeology is essentially a pyramid scheme. it is overpriced so that people can get their cut. So while the product may be good, and we love their workouts, we can't justify $130 a month. That is a 1/4 of our monthly food budget for one person's breakfast I'm a family of 3.

Im on it. I bought it under the guise that it would help me lose weight. Have been on it for a few months and the scale hasn't budged. However I find it an easy breakfast when I am trying to get two babies up and fed and on the days I go to work (work part time) ready for the babysitter. Its really easy to drop in some powder, shake and instant breakfast. I do find it pretty gross, but the flavor does grow on you. I used to find it vile, but now its just "ok." I literally tried them all and the chocolate vegan is the one that is least gross. The fruit flavors actually caused me to heave once and turned my stomach for a few hours (avoid greenberry! lol). I don't know if I don't drink enough even though I do a shake a day, but I was on auto delivery and it backed up on me. I had to cancel. I go through a bag every 6-7 weeks so it isn't really that expensive for me.
I was on herballife a few years back thinking it was going to help my marathoning, but some ingredient did not agree with me. After a few weeks of tummy and other issues I stopped using it and they went away. I haven't had any allergic issues with shakeology.

I prefer the Vega One Protien shakes. When I compared the nutrition info if I was not happy with what shako logy offered. Vega has more protein and far less sugar and sodium so overall was a far better choice especially as sugar was significant in 1gram in vega v 9grams in shakeology here is the comparison

Vega One vs Shakeology
In researching and using Vega One, I came across a lot of comparisons to Shakeology. Having tried Shakeology a few times, I also wanted to compare them to each other for our readers.

Now a lot of people have a vested interest in promoting shakeology because of the network marketing aspect of it, so it’s pretty hard to fine 100% honest information online. With this in mind, I wanted to take some basic criteria to compare the two products. Here are the main points of comparison that I have found:

Similar Ingredients: Both have rice protein, pea protein, savi seed protein and all of the assorted superfoods (maca, goji berry, etc…).
More Protein: Vega One comes out with slightly more protein per serving at 20g to Shakeology’s 17g. Key difference here.
MSM: Shakeology has 250mg of MSM which is supposed to help with joint and muscle pain. While this is a benefit for some, I don’t think this is crucial to a good supplement. If I want anti-inflammatory medication I will get it over the counter at my pharmacy. I’d prefer not to have it mixed in with my protein.
Sugar: Vega One has only 1 gram of sugar, while Shakeology has 9 grams. This is a MAJOR difference that I don’t think most people are aware of. Sugar can be seriously detrimental to weight loss efforts.
Salt: Vega One has only 30mg, Shakeology has 150mg. While not the highest sodium content that I’ve seen, I’ll take the much lower total per serving all day long.

Price was also a big factor and Vega one is far cheaper and not part of any weird pymamid scheme.

I should also say I used this as a meal replacement shake to help lose weight before the Star Wars Rebel Challenge and since March I have lost over 60 pounds so it has really helped along with a lot of exercise.

When making shakes I use unsweetened almond milk and a few other things and they take pretty good.

Check out omnihealth products at walmart, they offer a shakeology product at 70-80 percent less, as well as herbalife and plexus, same ingredients, I've been using their shakeology shakes and they taste better and work exactly the same. shakeology is a way overpriced, all marketing

I add more liquids. I always do at least 12oz up to 16oz. Usually 8 milk and 4 water. Otherwise it's too thick for me. I add powdered pb2 for taste and more protein. I experiment w flavored extracts. Walmart carries a caramel one. I enjoy them. I put my auto ship on hold about every 2 months since I don't eat it everyday. It's easy to do on their website.

Shakeo is GREAT, but not worth the price when it comes to buying a month's supply.

With it, you're meant to ADD many things, and blend it all up, if you shake it just with water/milk it's going to be downright nasty. I usually blend the chocolate with a banana, some peanut butter and some almond milk, maybe throw some frozen cherries in there. I used the green berry a lot too and would blend it with a banana, some frozen peaches, yogurt, pineapple, etc

It's super delicious and makes for a super convenient breakfast replacement, I'd usually have it with a bit more protein, or have a mid morning protein snack before heading to lunch kinda thing. I will admit at first it kind of bothered my stomach, but that may have just been the "cleansing healthiness" of it, or it may have been my body getting used to the dairy powders in it? who knows. I do know that I felt awesome while consuming it for a month but you'll also get that if you eat primarily vegetables, fruit, and plant based products, with lean protein.

I recently asked about it to my fb friends and the only ones who supported it, were those who sold it. I had many friends who bought a month for their program and did not find it to be worth it at all.
I do however use regular protein drinks as meal/snack replacements, and there is not much, if any difference, when you have a decently nutritious diet.

I work with a lot of people who use it and love it, but most of them also sell it. I've tried it (strawberry flavor) and found it like drinking chalky pepto bismal. Mixed with enough other things it was tolerable. I did some research though and between my research and basic common sense, there are no real benefits about it despite their claims that can't be gotten from a different protein powder and a good multivitamin. There are *so many* ingredients, and for the size of the scoop, there can't possibly be any meaningful amount of those ingredients per serving. For example, Shakeology has flax because flaxseed has lignans, fiber, and omega-3s. Maybe it does have a miniscule amount of flaxseed, but the studies done on flax show you only really get all the benefits if a) it's freshly ground to get the omega-3s (which as part of a powdered shake it's obviously not) and b) if you consume 1-2 tablespoons a day (and who knows how much flax is in a serving of Shakeology, but with 70 ingredients included, I doubt 1-2 tbsp of them are flax...the scoop just isn't big enough for that to be true).

For me, I'd rather use a cheaper protein powder as part of a smoothie where I know the exact amounts of any "superfoods" I add to it. For taste, I like the Vega Proteins and Greens chocolate flavor. It's way cheaper than Shakeology per serving, and I can buy it from Target or Costco. The berry flavor of Vega tasted just as gross to me as the Shakeology strawberry.

I would be really curious to see a study that compares the health effects of Shakeology versus some other protein powders if all other things are equal (diet, exercise, etc.).

All that being said, my coworkers that use it and sell it, have really seen positive benefits from Beachbody (21 day fix, etc.), and I know they believe Shakeology is a part of that success, so it doesn't matter that I personally believe that if they did the 21 day fix diet and exercise but swapped the Shakeo for some other protein powder they'd still see the same positive results. If you can afford it, and it helps you achieve fitness and health goals, whatever works.

I've drank it on and off, and I'm even a "coach" (for the personal discount, I don't actively promote/sell/recruit - I haven't even bought Shakeology since like last August, but I do continue to do their workouts because those have been a success for me) and while I liked some things about it - I honestly can't say it is better than a much cheaper protein powder you buy at the store. I've been equally as successful in weight loss efforts both drinking it and not drinking it. It didn't make me feel super amazing, or take away cravings, and the weight I did lose was at the same rate as I've lost without it. The taste of the chocolate is okay if you add it to milk (I would drink it with almond milk), and I do like it blended with almond milk, bananas, and ice - but with water alone? No thanks. I personally don't understand how people can drink just the powder with water and call it a meal. But to each their own ;-)

Products work different for everyone though so try it and see how it works for you. But as someone who could sell it, I can honestly tell you that if it doesn't work out for you it's 100% not necessary to success in losing weight. If a $30 tub of another brand works just as well, then go with that!

I've been drinking it for a few years now, on and off. My DSIL got me into it...her sister is a coach. I think the taste is great! But if you are shaking it in a cup, its disgusting. Its a whole new ballgame if you blend it in a mixer with some almond milk, a banana and PB2 or some strawberries, etc. It keeps me full but it doesn't help you lose weight on its own. When I initially tried it, I was eating really clean and working out a lot....I looked very fit and my skin was amazing. I don't think it was just the shakes though. I've just restarted drinking it religiously and drink it for breakfast.

All that being said, I don't think its worth the cost to drink all the time. My mom buys it and I just steal hers lol.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter