Anyone use a screen-room for their awning?

Luv2Camp

DIS Veteran
Hi everyone. Does anyone have experience with the screen-rooms that attach to their awnings? We were looking into getting one, but I wanted some expert (that's you guys) advice. Are they allowed at the Fort? Any pros (bugs) or cons (wind) that you know about? :thanks:

Just got back from the Fort a week ago and to tell you the truth I saw very, very few of these while riding bikes. 'Course, now is not the time of year to need one down there.

Even in summer I see relatively few of them. It seems more people favor the stand alone screen room (we do). It has the versatility to be put wherever I want it rather than only right next to the camper.

I'm in Alabama and you're in Ohio so maybe conditions are different. On my pop-up bulletin board they seem to be only favored by a few folks.

Bama ED

If you are primarily going to be camping at FtW, I'd say you don't need one. FtW does an excellent job at keeping the mosquitoes at bay - they spray once or twice a week and we've never had problems in all the years we've stayed there. If you camp elsewhere, you might want to consider one. Me personally, think they're a waste of money, space, and time. Even when we full-timed in our RV I never considered one. JMHO!

Remember that a screen room is just like a tent in one thing- you have to bend down and unzip the entrance , turn around and zip it back and so on and so on. If you're carrying something (be it a cold beer, a baby or anything else) it makes it more of a hassle.

We LOVE ours!!!!!:thumbsup2

It's like having an extra room in our camper. That's especially true when it rains!!!! We just drop the walls and VOLIA! no more rain. At night we pull the camping chairs and grill into the add-a-room so they don't get wet in case of a possible storm. DH and I love to sit out there in the mornings and have coffee.

We got our first one as a "bonus" with our first camper ( a Viking Popup). The salesperson just went on and on about it. It was about a year later (when the weatherman was calling for rain) :idea: that we decided to give it a try. Now we couldn't camp without it.

It takes about 10 minutes to set up and it all fits neatly into an flat pouch for travel. The only downside at all is that it really does take two people to set it up. DH tried to do it once by himself :rolleyes1 .............let's just say it didn't go well.

I hope this helps!!!!

Site5091.jpg

I have the screen walls for my EZ-Up that I put over my kitchen on my T@B. I've only used them once, and that was camping in Alabama in the summer. Hubby was with me and he did some serious cooking on that trip. I haven't used it since, but then I haven't done much cooking, and don't cook hardly at all at Ft. Wilderness.

We LOVE ours!!!!!:thumbsup2

It's like having an extra room in our camper. That's especially true when it rains!!!! We just drop the walls and VOLIA! no more rain. At night we pull the camping chairs and grill into the add-a-room so they don't get wet in case of a possible storm. DH and I love to sit out there in the mornings and have coffee.

We got our first one as a "bonus" with our first camper ( a Viking Popup). The salesperson just went on and on about it. It was about a year later (when the weatherman was calling for rain) :idea: that we decided to give it a try. Now we couldn't camp without it.

It takes about 10 minutes to set up and it all fits neatly into an flat pouch for travel. The only downside at all is that it really does take two people to set it up. DH tried to do it once by himself :rolleyes1 .............let's just say it didn't go well.

I hope this helps!!!!

I have always thought it would be very handy. Does it also cover the space under your trailer? Does it come down pretty easily in case you need to roll up with heavy wind????

We have one and put it to good use as well. It IS a hassle to put up, so we only use it for week plus stays. Ohioans as well, we have a conference we attend every year the 2nd week of june up by the lake, and we would not dream of not using it there! I don't know if you have ever experoenced mayfly season, but OMG :scared1: .

There is a piece on ours that attaches to the front bottom of the camper. And, no, it doesn't come down any easier than it goes up. But its awfully nice to have it when you need it!

Ours is one VERY LONG piece. I think there may be brands that are 3 sections, I don't know if the corners zip or velcro or what, but I think they might be easier to work with.

We have one for our pop up and we LOVE it. It's got shades that pull down all around also and we like that because at night and in the morning we use that as our changing room and it's also convenient if the kids need to use the potty in the middle of the night...we have a portable potty that we put in the screen room if they need it (they're too scared to walk to a bathhouse in the middle of the night).

Thanks for all of the advice! I think we're going to invest in the screen room since we do quite a bit of camping. I agree with everyone that the bugs aren't too bad at the Fort, but I know it will really come in handy when we go up to Cedar Point. Those may flies scare the bajeebers out of me! :scared1: I think it will also come in handy as an extra room, even at the Fort. Two questions:

1) Is wind a problem with the screen rooms? I know the afternoon storms in Florida can be an issue with awnings.

2) Do you have any recommendations on a certain type of screen room?

I'm so excited to go camping! It's going to be one looooooong winter! :sad2:

I like ours but the wife really doesn't and depending on the campground and time of year also is taken into consideration. I think it helps keep down the possibility of bugs and it also is an added deterrant for those who might want to take something. Not that they can't unzip the thing but a little more effort as compared to a neighboring camper who doesn't have one would be easier prey.

We have one for our pop up and we LOVE it. It's got shades that pull down all around also and we like that because at night and in the morning we use that as our changing room and it's also convenient if the kids need to use the potty in the middle of the night...we have a portable potty that we put in the screen room if they need it (they're too scared to walk to a bathhouse in the middle of the night).
Great ideas! We have an add a room for our pop up, but it's a royal pain to set up. We didn't use it at Disney last time, and didn't need it because we weren't at camp much and our site was right next to the bathhouse. But I think for the summer camping it will be worth it, and also good for bugs (which they don't have at Disney :) )

I have always thought it would be very handy. Does it also cover the space under your trailer? Does it come down pretty easily in case you need to roll up with heavy wind????
Ours covers the space under the trailer (pop up) but the whole thing is attached by velco, it's several pieces, and while I'm sure it would come down easily enough, putting it back up would be a pain. It's also fairly heavy. Ours is from 2000, and I sure hope the new ones are better!

Those may flies scare the bajeebers out of me! QUOTE]

When you need to wear a surgical mask to go outside, what's the point? I could never live that close to the lake! By the way, we bit the bullet and stayed at the CP campground (who says Disney is expensive...wooohooo!) and were dissapointed and disgusted. UGH. It wasn't just the mayflies, there wee several issues. We'll stay somewhere close from now on (usually at Lakeside/marble head, but that's a little bit of a drive)

We just practiced setting ours up. Our camper is older, so the newer ones might be easier to set up. I think if a storm were coming one could just drop the awning with the room attached. It velcros and ties to the top, and uses tent stakes to secure the bottom. There are privacy flaps that look very difficult to raise and tie up.

It looks like fun and like more space for keeping stuff. Also, with little kids, it looks like one more area with a distinct boundary to keep them secure.

Since we'll be there for a week, our plan is to use it. I guess the real test will be whether we make the same plan the next time we go.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter