Anyone understand this?

Bunch0rz5

Earning My Ears
Question. My original reservation I had booked for my trip in Sept is almost $300 more than my original total was before the free dining was added. Why are they not honoring the original price when I booked? I did not book with a special. Only booked the regular room rate and ticket prices at that time. Should they not honor my original booking price??

With the Free Dining Promotion the Ticket portion includes the Park Hopper. If you booked just base tickets with your original package, this would be the difference.

Probably, in order to get the Free Dining promotion they had to cancel your original booking and make a new reservation. Since your original reservation, the prices have gone up. That previous room reservation rate was priced out at the time the reservation was made ($300.00 less per you). That reservation was cancelled in order to take advantage of the Free Dining promotion.
As a new reservation during the Free Dining period, the price would be the current price of room reservations, which apparently has gone up by $300.00.

Probably, in order to get the Free Dining promotion they had to cancel your original booking and make a new reservation. Since your original reservation, the prices have gone up. That previous room reservation rate was priced out at the time the reservation was made ($300.00 less per you). That reservation was cancelled in order to take advantage of the Free Dining promotion.
As a new reservation during the Free Dining period, the price would be the current price of room reservations, which apparently has gone up by $300.00.

This.

If you rebook to get a promotion, you're subject to whatever price increase happened since you booked your original package. It isn't just "adding on" free dining or a room only discount anymore, it's a cancellation of your original package and booking a new one that falls under the discount/promotion and at current prices.

I was actually shocked that ours only went up $300 because we added an extra night (a Saturday even) to keep our room category and get the FD. This was at the Boardwalk for a water view, so I felt like I'd won a prize, LOL!

Question. My original reservation I had booked for my trip in Sept is almost $300 more than my original total was before the free dining was added. Why are they not honoring the original price when I booked? I did not book with a special. Only booked the regular room rate and ticket prices at that time. Should they not honor my original booking price??

No. They honor the price for what you booked - when you add a promotion, you're no longer sticking to the original agreement so you're subject to new pricing.

I'm guessing you originally booked your trip before the ticket price increase? As others have said, they didn't simply add a promotion to your original reservation. They re-booked you with the promotion and with current room and ticket prices.

I noticed when I booked our free dining package, they automatically offered the option of the upgrade from QSDP to the regular dining plan. I had to check the box for QSDP (I didn't want regular - that's just the way I eat at Disney mostly). We're booked at Pop.

Still if that isn't the case (I'm sure in your case it isn't), did tickets go up that much? $300 seems a bit much.

Sorry, but isn't this the same as a retail store raising the price of an item by 30% on Thursday so they can have a Friday sale of 40%? Unknowing customers think they are getting a great deal when in reality they are only receiving (and the store is only out) 10%? These free dining offers and room only discounts aren't so great if they aren't apples to apples comparisons (requiring more expensive views, ticket or dining upcharges, or increased room rates). I've noticed the same thing and can't believe it isn't called out or reported more than it is. In most other settings it would be called somewhat deceptive. To be honest, as with the example I gave, just offer the 10% off to start with.

Sorry, but isn't this the same as a retail store raising the price of an item by 30% on Thursday so they can have a Friday sale of 40%? Unknowing customers think they are getting a great deal when in reality they are only receiving (and the store is only out) 10%? These free dining offers and room only discounts aren't so great if they aren't apples to apples comparisons (requiring more expensive views, ticket or dining upcharges, or increased room rates). I've noticed the same thing and can't believe it isn't called out or reported more than it is. In most other settings it would be called somewhat deceptive. To be honest, as with the example I gave, just offer the 10% off to start with.
Because for those who want the 'more expensive views' the promotions are WONDERFUL! I had a 30% RO rate last year...added in the DDP...still saved $1100!!!

No, see you didn't. As was pointed out, the price for that "more expensive view" room was less before the promotion was announced. To determine how much you actually "saved" you'd have to use the price as it was pre-promotion before they raised it. Yes, you did save, just not as much as they led you to believe. Those views are sometimes worth it, don't get me wrong, it's just a shell game trying to actually save.

No, see you didn't. As was pointed out, the price for that "more expensive view" room was less before the promotion was announced. To determine how much you actually "saved" you'd have to use the price as it was pre-promotion before they raised it. Yes, you did save, just not as much as they led you to believe. Those views are sometimes worth it, don't get me wrong, it's just a shell game trying to actually save.
Well, they're pretty much the same price this year- non discounted. And I'm booked tpv at CR without a discount. Even if they raise the price $50 pn and offer a 30% off I will still come out WAY ahead.

ETA- For a room that is @ $700 p.n. they would have to raise it to $900 to make the discount void. I can't, and have never, see that happening/seen that happen.

Last edited:
I know that I won't get a discount on Black Friday. But-- when we return from our cruise and do the second WDW leg at CR.. I'm hoping there will be a discount offered for the week of 12/3. I'm planning on one not being offered..but still gotta have hope, right?lol

Dec. 21-27 (last check-in for FD) Contemporary TPV current rate per night = $860.00

Last edited:
Where do you see that? I see $764 for tpv. Nothing available with free dining.
I assume the same way you get $700 per night in your example, as it is usually cheaper than $700, by adding tax. And, the price would be what it is for free dining since it requires a non-discounted.....forget it, sorry i troubled you .

I assume the same way you get $700 per night in your example, as it is usually cheaper than $700, by adding tax. And, the price would be what it is for free dining since it requires a non-discounted.....forget it, sorry i troubled you .

When I stayed at Poly the "regular price" was @ $700 Before the discount...And is pretty much the same this year..there isn't a discount yet for that week. I didn't figure tax. And I've never seen a room at Poly over $800...unless tpv club level.
I know for certain that mine wasn't priced that high.

When I stayed at Poly the "regular price" was @ $700 Before the discount...And is pretty much the same this year..there isn't a discount yet for that week. I didn't figure tax. And I've never seen a room at Poly over $800...unless tpv club level.
I know for certain that mine wasn't priced that high.

Again, sorry to trouble you, our ideas of a reasonable hotel rate ($700 for the Poly?, two weeks ago the Four Seasons was offered for less!) and what constitutes an actual discount vary, that is all. My point is just that WDW has and continues to widely manipulate pricing strategies to maximize their revenue and amount of $$ they get from you. Nothing wrong with it, I understand it's supply/demand, etc. but people do need to realize what is going on.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter