Anyone tried the Backstage Magic tour?

moremouse

DIS Veteran
We thought we’d try a tour this time. Does anyone know if this one is worth the $275?

If it’s just run of the mill Disney trivia, I’ll pass.

We’ve already eaten at WC so that’s not something that would swing me.

Thoughts?

TIA!

I took the tour in July of 2018. It was something I was thinking about for a few years and I'm glad I finally went. But I suppose it depends on your level of seeing what happens in areas like the costume shop, central shops (building & refurbishing of attraction stuff), of of the laundry areas, and the utilidoors. I also thought seeing how the American Adventure runs was really cool as well. I actually would take the tour again as I think I could take more of it in a second time. There was a lot of cool stuff and I was aching to take pictures but since it is backstage most of the time pictures aren't allowed. Although the tour guides do take some pictures of you and you get a link to download them later.

Thank you so much for your reply! I’m trying to get off the fence on this one. I was totally going to set it up, but then read some really bad reviews.

It has been several years since we did Backstage Magic, but we LOVED it. Sadly, it was our first Disney World tour, and since then we have done several others, and they all paled in comparison. There was so much information, and we got to go to places others don't in all of the parks. I want to do it again!

I have done it twice but I am not sure I would do it a third until maybe after construction. From what I have read, they seem to have dropped or scaled back on a couple of parks without replacing experiences. For instance 2012, AK you went backstage at Jammin Jungle parade floats which was eliminated after the parade left. It was replaced in 2016 with short talk with conservation cm and this was right before ROL was to open. We spent more time and more in depth at the Tower of Terror in 2012 than in 2016.

Different tour but I wonder what the Destinations tour at Epcot will do to replace the backstage Illuminations portion when that goes away in September.

I think it's totally worth it. If you're a real Disney fanatic and are interested in what goes on behind the scenes then it's worth it. You'll be taken around the parks and through a lot of Cast Member only areas, places that even I as a CM dont really go to because there's no reason to. It's not just going to be random trivia and walking through MK all day -you'll get to see a lot of what we CMs do and more.

I just did it last week and it was worth it! I already plan on doing it again in a few years in hopes of seeing different things!

Glad to here some good reviews. I guess we’ll go ahead and book next week. That’s for all the help guys!

I did the tour in 2008 with a friend and it was fantastic! Our biggest hang-up was whether it would 'spoil the magic' for us, but it did just the opposite - it made us appreciate everything that goes into what we see as guests. I know a lot can change since then, so it's nice to hear it is still good. DBF and I are going to do it at some point, but not this year's trip.

~Chelle

My friend and I did the Backstage Magic Tour two months ago.

Overall, it was a positive experience. Interesting things but nothing is a must-see that I will treasure for life.

I’d say the price in US dollars is ok. It’s a full 8-hour day and includes a big meal for lunch. So, we didn’t buy park tickets that day and I ate so much at lunch that I skipped dinner.

However, coming from Canada, the exchange rate added 40% to our effective price. I would say it’s not worth it for Canadians until the exchange rate gets more favourable.

Last edited:
Im glad everyone has enjoyed it.. I'm going in December and was thinking about taking one.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter