• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Anyone stay in Dublin on their own pre trip?

slg

DIS Veteran
With a family of 5 and our CAD plummetting, I'm trying to find ways to save money. It'll cost us about $1000/night (CAD) to stay in Dublin before our ABD. Just wondering if anyone has done it on their own and has any tips for me.

All help appreciated.

We did on our May ABD trip, but there was just two of us and ABD got us a GREAT rate at the Westin so we just parked our selves there. However, friends of ours did the Ireland trip a few months after us and there were five of them on a budget. They stayed at Bewleys Hotel in Ballsridge for like 80 euros per room per night. They said the hotel was great! I actually saw the hotel on the travel channel on a Samantha Brown Passtport to Europe Show on Dublin. Check out the website at www.bewleyshotels.com. You can also watch the Sam Brown video on the hotel on the Travel Channel website. Ballsridge is in the business district of Dublin but it's just outside the city center and on a metro stop as well. Hope that helps!

Just thought of a couple more things...by staying at the Westin, the rate inlcuded a full Irish breakfast. We would eat a huge b-fast and eat at a local pub for dinner (about 20 euros for 2).

There are lots of beautiful parks to stroll through (St. Stephens Green was our favorite!)... we also walked down a main road (behind Trinity College) that had row houses with different colored doors (we traveled with our good friends who have a 9 year old boy and he was totally fascinated by the brightly colored doors... took lots of door pics, haha!)

We stayed two pre-nights; and essentially, we walked Dublin for those two days. We would stop at a pub to listen to music in the afternoon (children are allowed during the day), explore a park, and we window shopped at Grafton street (and saw the statue of Molly Malone!), crossed the Liffy by walking over on of Dublin's oldest bridges (the Ha'penny bridge) - lots to see that won't cost you a dime...

Thank you for the tip on Bewley's. It is perfect! It is 99 euros a night and all 5 of us can stay in one room! Breakfast is not included but can be purchased for 12 euros each for the adult and reduced rates for the kids.

The airport hotel has free shuttle from airport and back. I think we will go there, and then take the shuttle back to the airport on the start of our tourand have ABD pick us up at the airport.

I was worried about carrying my luggage all over town, but this is the answer to my prayers!

This will save us about $800 a night. Thank you,thank you, thank you:)

I'm going to confirm this with DH (who will be thrilled as he doesn't want to spend so much and now with our CAD dollar dropping in value) cancel my pre night with ABD.

Any other tidbits would be great. I'm getting so nervous about the economy! I'm also terrified the ABD will be cancelled...I haven't booked air or anything.

So much chaos in the world economics.

You are very welcome - glad I could help. If I think of anything else, I'll let you know - you will have a marvelous time, it was the best trip DH and I have ever done!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter