Anyone send kindergartener on time instead of holding back?

Our cut-off is December. DS is one of the youngest in his class since he's an Oct birthday. He personally did well but it depends on the child. He started K as a 4 yr old and I was really nervous more for a social stand point. I took into account that he is very intelligent and that he is very tall for his age. He towers over the other kids in his grade now. If we held him back he would have really stood out from the other kids. It helped that 2 of his playmates in the neighborhood were entering Kindergarten the same time too (although they were 6 months older) so he fit in more with them. He also did 2 yrs of preschool ( 2-3 days a week for 2 1/2hrs) and gymboree so he was use to the structure aspect.

I have seen other 4 year olds that didn't seem ready but I've seen some older 5 yr olds that also seemed that way.....but I'm not in the position to evaluate them either so I can't cay for certain :)

I don't know how much of the emotional problems would have been resolved by not being the youngest - I was also small and "developed late" so I was the last by over a year to get a period.

Then I hit middle school. This is a tough time for every kid and to be a full year younger than many was really difficult. I was not developing like the other girls, I was immature because I was younger and very sensitive- someone was always hurting my feelings!

On the opposite side of things, it is very embarrasing and emotionally tough to be a girl that develops sooner than any of the other girls, "larger" sooner than the other girls, and starting your cycle first.

Middle school sucks for everyone LOL

AMEN! "Middle school sucks for everyone!"

'Cause it's *really* fun being the 'C-cup' when none of your friends even need training bras - makes the whole social scene SO much easier . . . (but you know what, I got over it!).

Our schools use to be number 1 in the world when we were kids. Now by 5th grade we are not even in the top 20. Something is wrong!!! It is not the kids!!

I agree, something IS wrong - but I don't think the answer (to that issue) is delaying starting. If you're interested in this topic, the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation is doing a LOT of work with this. IMO, *this* issue is more revealed by the joke about Rumplestiltskin - wakes up from his 100 years to find an entirely different world (people communicating via ear-bud cell phones and surfing the 'net on their BlackBerries, etc), everywhere he goes everything looks completely different . . . until he steps into a place he recognizes from his own childhood - a school! The world has changes all around us, yet our curriculum is frozen in time . . ..

My BIGGEST worry with 'delaying' is the message we potentially send to our (as a whole) children - that they are somehow not 'good enough' unless they are *exactly* like everyone else (and/or ahead of the curve). No matter when, someone will always be the biggest/smallest, oldest/youngest, most/least mature, fastest/slowest, most/least academic, most/least athletic, most/least artistic, etc, etc, etc . . . and that's *NOT* a bad thing. We learn from diversity as well as books.

As for ALL these teachers who claim to "be able to pick the Summer b-days out of a crowd" - WHY IS THAT A BAD THING? Instead they should all be delayed (since they're "so easy to pick out")? So, then will you be "able to pick the Fall b-days out of a crowd?" How far does that go? There will always be a range - and yes, statistically speaking those who are younger will more likely have corresponding skill sets - but, they're children, not robots . . ..

IMO, artificially 'rigging' the system doesn't solve the problem, it exacerbates it (not to say there's *never* are reason to delay, but it should be less common than it is, IMO).

In Ontario, kindergarten starts when you are 4 for 2 yrs. The cut off date is Dec 31st. I have a Dec 31 and a Nov 27 baby, so 2 that started when they were 3. I would have never dreamed of holding them back and they are both fine. pirate:

In Ontario, kindergarten starts when you are 4 for 2 yrs. The cut off date is Dec 31st. I have a Dec 31 and a Nov 27 baby, so 2 that started when they were 3. I would have never dreamed of holding them back and they are both fine. pirate:

So the kids get two years of Kindergarten? If we had that here, I think you wouldn't hear nearly as many teachers advising people to wait to send their kids. It's a whole different situation with only one year of K.

Excuse my ignorance of the US (and Canadian) school systems, but what do children do in Kindergarten? What are they expected to achieve and then what sort of work do they do in 1st grade?

Our children (in the UK) go through the 'foundation stage' of Nursery and Reception before they start Key Stage 1 in Year 1. In Nursery (children aged 3-4) they play, sing, paint and start getting ready for school socially, eg learning to sit for a story during carpet time, learning to eat in a lunch hall full of other children, learning to follow simple rules.

In Reception (aged 4-5), they do all of the above, but they also start learning to read and write, count backwards and forwards, change into their sports clothes for PE. Most children leave Reception able to read simple words and stories, and knowing how to write letters and numbers.

Nursery is usually a short day (9.15am-2.15pm) and Reception is a full day (9am-3.15pm).

How does this compare with the US system?

Sarah x

Then I hit middle school. This is a tough time for every kid and to be a full year younger than many was really difficult. I was not developing like the other girls, I was immature because I was younger and very sensitive- someone was always hurting my feelings!

You just described me when I was in middle school. Except that I wasn't the youngest..my birthday was in March but I was just a late bloomer. No offense to anyone, especially the above poster, but I don't think this is really a reason for delaying Kindergarten.

Knowing that K is much more intense than it used to be I may think a little harder about sending my 8/27 boy to K or delaying. I had assumed I'd send him on time, but this post has made me think.

until he steps into a place he recognizes from his own childhood - a school! The world has changes all around us, yet our curriculum is frozen in time

Yeah, but the funny thing is how we try to change it. Our kids do terrible on tests so what do we do? Figure out how to teach to the test. I'm a high school English teacher and it's no wonder kids don't enjoy reading. There's a guy named Bill Dagget (sp?) that is really popular right now w/ reforming schools. Something I really don't care for is this concept of making reading much more scientific. That literature itself isn't really necessary anymore and that we should be teaching reading as a methodology and informational/technical texts instead. Maybe someone else knows more about this guy, but that is the gist I've gotten from him. How can we make students love learning if all the beauty and imagination is taken from it? And if kids don't love learning, it's no wonder they fail the standardized tests.

So the kids get two years of Kindergarten? If we had that here, I think you wouldn't hear nearly as many teachers advising people to wait to send their kids. It's a whole different situation with only one year of K.

See, that's pretty much exactly what our situation is here in Georgia - we have a State sponsored Pre-K program (so, free) for 4yo's and then K for 5yo's. Yet, there's still a big trend toward waiting . . ..

Our children (in the UK) go through the 'foundation stage' of Nursery and Reception before they start Key Stage 1 in Year 1. In Nursery (children aged 3-4) they play, sing, paint and start getting ready for school socially, eg learning to sit for a story during carpet time, learning to eat in a lunch hall full of other children, learning to follow simple rules.

In Reception (aged 4-5), they do all of the above, but they also start learning to read and write, count backwards and forwards, change into their sports clothes for PE. Most children leave Reception able to read simple words and stories, and knowing how to write letters and numbers.

Nursery is usually a short day (9.15am-2.15pm) and Reception is a full day (9am-3.15pm).

How does this compare with the US system?

Sarah x

This sounds like exactly what my dd will have done. We've chosen to put our dd through 2 years of preschool (out of our pocket), which was almost exclusively learning through play (songs, story circles, etc). Her first year (she started at 2.5yo) was 2 mornings/week from 9-1, her second year was 3 mornings/wk for those same hours. She ate lunch in her preschool, but they ate in their rooms with just their own class. In just a couple weeks, she will begin Pre-Kindergarten (at 4.5yo) which will be somewhat more structured and will run 8-2:30pm 5 days/wk (same hours as our elementary schools). She will also eat lunch there, but it will be in more of a lunchroom-type setting.

So, to *me* it sounds very similar, but I get the feeling that varies widely across the US. I'm thankful for our structure, because I have no concerns that dd will thrive in school - she's *very* excited to go, and has very clear expectations (and understands what will be expected of her as well).

Just curious... is he a year ahead?? My dd is the youngest in her class and is turning 8 mid-Oct and will be in 3rd grade. Most of the other soon-to-be 3rd graders turned 8 already, starting last december.

Yes, he is a year ahead. And if he was in the normal grade for his age he would still be the youngest in the class (as his birthday is mid September and the cutoff is the end of September)

Yeah, but the funny thing is how we try to change it. Our kids do terrible on tests so what do we do? Figure out how to teach to the test. I'm a high school English teacher and it's no wonder kids don't enjoy reading. There's a guy named Bill Dagget (sp?) that is really popular right now w/ reforming schools. Something I really don't care for is this concept of making reading much more scientific. That literature itself isn't really necessary anymore and that we should be teaching reading as a methodology and informational/technical texts instead. Maybe someone else knows more about this guy, but that is the gist I've gotten from him. How can we make students love learning if all the beauty and imagination is taken from it? And if kids don't love learning, it's no wonder they fail the standardized tests.

I think if you looked into the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation programs, you might be pleasantly surprised . . .. I am *adamantly* against "teaching to the test" (I don't think that proves our kids are any smarter at all, if anything quite the opposite!). The premise is: our 'old' schools used to be all about rote memorization. Nowadays that's essentially obsolete (umm, Hi, I can Google that!). More important is teaching our children to differentiate between the quality of information (something I'm betting you've come across a good bit as a HS teacher - where I'm sure some student has told you "but, I found in on the internet" as if that's some sort of Gospel!). I'm more intrigued by a child who is enthused about truly learning than one who can spout memorized facts. I'd rather teach a child to *think* than to simply fill in the correct circle on a standardized test . . .. But, that's just me! ;)

See, that's pretty much exactly what our situation is here in Georgia - we have a State sponsored Pre-K program (so, free) for 4yo's and then K for 5yo's. Yet, there's still a big trend toward waiting . . ..

I actually teach K in GA, so I'm familiar with the pre-K, and I can tell you that it is not as standardized as one would hope. Not every child goes to the state funded pre-K, and not every child who goes to it is going to be ready for K.

I actually teach K in GA, so I'm familiar with the pre-K, and I can tell you that it is not as standardized as one would hope. Not every child goes to the state funded pre-K, and not every child who goes to it is going to be ready for K.

Where'bouts in GA are you (just out of curiousity - feel free not to answer if that's not something you wish to share!)? I'm in the Marietta area, so I'm a bit 'spoiled' that we're blessed with a decent local system and (for the most part) involved parents (which I do think makes a big difference). I do agree that not as many kids attend Pre-K as 'should' and that not all kids come out of it with the same things . . . but, I think that'd be the same with "two years of K" too (or any grade for that matter). I do take issue with the parents I've come across who decide *way* early on (well before there can be any determining factor other than simply birthdate) that they're delaying start, but don't feel at all compelled to make use of the Pre-K system either (if they're not ready, why not prepare them by all means possible?!).

My sister sent her July DD to school and it was a good fit for her. She is very smart, articulate and thrives on routine. DS's second daughter would have been kept back a year if she had been a July baby. Like her sister, she is very smart. She just wouldn't have been mature enough to go that early. She has alot of.... um.... enthusiasm. lol

I haven't read all the posts, it isn't an issue we face. But I think it all lies with trusting your instincts.

Where we live the cutoff is August 31.

Our oldest turns 10 next week. She is one of THE youngest in her class, going into 5th grade. She is also one of THE smartest in her entire grade. She was high honors each term and is just very, very bright. School comes easy to her. She talked early and well and we never once thought about holding her back. It completely depends on the child I think.

Our 2nd dd missed the cutoff with an October birthday. She is one of the oldest in her class and she truly needed that extra year. She is very shy and being one of the oldest is better for her than if she would have been the youngest.

Our last child, our son, starts Kindergarden in a few weeks. He just turned 5 a few weeks ago. He is VERY ready. He is much like his oldest sister, very outgoing, very bright. He loves numbers, sits and counts to 100 just because, likes to do addition, he can be away from us for long lengths of time without missing home, is very well adjusted socially and has a huge vocabulary for a 5 year old. He will do just fine, I am sure.

I think it needs to be case by case, each child is so different.

Allyson

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter