Anyone NOT recommend Hoop DD?

Aisling

<font color=darkorchid>Where your mind goes, your
I have HDD booked, but now I'm having second thoughts. I really want to go to dinner at Whispering Canyon for all the antics, but I can't see doing both HDD and WCanyon. I'll be with my 2 sons, 12 and 18.
I've heard people who didn't enjoy Whispering Canyon, but I've only heard raves about HDD.
Did anyone not enjoy HDD, and if so, why? This might help me decide what to do.

Thanks!

I haven't been in 15 years so I'm probably not the best person to answer! But I thought the food was overcooked, and while the show was cute - it wasn't any better then the Diamond Horseshoe Review. But of course they don't have the DHR anymore - so it's your call. I just think it's overpriced for what it is personally.

I personally prefer Whispering Canyon to HDDR. The food is better and it is cheaper. JMHO!:wave:

I think the Hoop-Dee-Doo is great.......but, the Luau is even better.

Whispering Canyon is OK. It's not bad but, it's not great either. It's worth visiting if you've never been.

Between the two,
I'd pick the Hoop-Dee-Doo

:sunny:

We went last June and we loved it. I really didn't know either, but I am so glad that we went. It was probably one of the things we enjoyed the most while we were there.

We did both in July. HDDR was so much more entertaining than WC. Our server at WC was less than enthusiastic. Food at HDDR was good. Food at WC was aslo good but we got our food before we got our salad. I would go to HDDR.

We really had a good time at HDDR. but had a wet blanket of a server at Whispering Canyon, so that was not the best experience for us. I think everyone should do HDD once and decide for themselves!

I haven't done HDD since August 2000 but I would find it hard to recommend it to anyone. In my opinion the service and food were lousy. It wasn't worth the $$$.

My then 13 (now 17) year old son said he was glad we had it out of the way so we didn't have to do it again. :p He didn't like most of what was on the menu and didn't enjoy the show all that much. He (and his friend who usually travels with us) prefers Chef Mickeys and SciFi Dine In. Neither wants to return to HDD.

I also think the experience at Whispering Canyon varies with the server. We must have gone at an off hour because there were few diners and the servers were very lackluster. My son liked most of the food but I wasn't impressed.

They both also love Boma, the restaurant at Italy (Epcot), Rainforest Cafe, and the food at Disney Quest.

It's a tough decision to make when you read about how much others recommend the experience. It makes you want to do everything too. Whatever you decide I hope you have a great trip.

Carolyn

We went in '02 with our daughters, 16 & 19 then, & we had a great experience (except for DD#2's false tooth falling out, but that's another story :eek: ). Good food, good show, & the Wilderness Campgounds are beautiful!

Here's the thing about the food at HDDR: It is fried chicken and ribs, with some side dishes, and a strawberry shortcake dessert. That's what it is! Don't go expecting a gourmet meal, since food alone is really not what you're paying for. It is a dinner show...all-you-can-eat food...AND (very fun, IMO) entertainment. (Incidentally, also all-you-can-drink beer, wine and sangria, which are not included in most of the prix-fixed meals. The sangria is yummy!) The chicken and ribs are delicious, IMO. If you find yours are too dry, tell your server and ask for a different bucket. You can ask for more or less bbq sauce, etc. You can probably ask for a hamburger or a plate of spaghetti if you don't like these. There are some other options for the kids, like PB&J or mac & cheese, but you have to ask. This experience is not about the food. I happen to love fried chicken and ribs, and actually only eat them ever at HDDR, so it's a treat for me.

The entertainment is very corny. If your family rolls their eyes up into their heads over cornball humor, this is not the show for you. If you can sit back and enjoy silly antics, give it a try! We think it is leg-slappin' hilarious!

HDDR is our FAVORITE WDW experience over four generations. My kids insist on going back next time. DH wouldn't consider going to WDW without HDDR. I have converted them. Others hate it and say it's not worth it! We think it is a small price to pay for the experience and consider HDDR one of the best values in WDW! It depends upon your personal taste. I think if it fits into your budget, it might be worth trying once!

Never done WC, so sorry, I can't compare the two. Whatever you do, give us a review when you return!

(Sorry so long...this is one of my passions.)

My family wasn't impressed. The food was passable, simple fare. My DS really doesn't like that type of humor. He's too citified, lol.

My guess is you will get a lot of folks with a thumbs down due to your title in your first post.

I thought the food was awful, only legs and thighs, and poor quality fried chicken. Strawberry shortcake wasnt even real and the corn was from a can- yuck!

The humor is great...if your 4, or if your a parent enjoying watching your 4 year old. ;)

I agree with one other poster, it might be something you try for yourself, I think its a pain to get over to Fort Wilderness from other resorts, we took a cab there, but bussed back to CBR- takes 2 busses.

It was cool that my DH arranged a carriage ride after the show- it was the best part of the evening!

We did not book months in advance and were seated on the second level after the concierge at the Poly recommended this show to us over the Luau for our family that included a then 4 year old. Being on the second floor was probably not as enjoyable as being on the main floor where the cast had more interaction with the guests. You should check where you will be seated in advance. Our server was somewhat of a sour-puss and it appeared that those with servers more "into" the experience may have had a better time. The food was not what we tend to eat and seemed to be somewhat mediocre (fatty ribs, fried chicken and corn on the cob served in a metal bucket with strawberry shortcake for dessert, in short picnic food). DH tends to be more "refined" (read Flying Fish tastes) but we all really enjoyed the show once we got into it. Perhaps the unlimited wine and beer and something to do with our enjoyment of the show along with the fact we only had to hop on a bus back to the resort and didn't have to worry about driving. Since we probably would have spent the same amount at WC, the fact that an entertaining show is included is a plus in my opinion. We enjoyed ourselves, but don't plan to repeat. HTH

Thank you all for your opinions. I'll let you know what I decide!

I thought we were the only ones who weren't overly impressed with the HDDR. We went over 15 years ago on our honeymoon, though, so I don't know how it is now. We have other places we'd rather spend that much money.

From the opinions of my family and myself...we enjoyed HDDR way more than WC. I thought both my boys..ages 9 and 12...were going to laugh themselves silly! We all enjoyed the chicken, ribs, salad, etc very much. We ate at WC twice..once for breakfast and once for dinner...and none of us were overly impressed. All four of us would do HDDR again....WC none of us care to repeat.

My family (wife, daughters 9 & 6) all loved the entire event. We thought the food was good in fact, it was the most food either one of my daughters had eaten the entire trip! It was not five star but than again, no one ever promised it would be! It was good, plenty of it and great service. And when you figure in the cost of the food, drinks (unlimited wine and beer too), the show and the tip, its really not that outlandish. The show as fun for all of us. From our week at WDW, it ranked in everyone's top 2 of things they loved the most. It was a fun, family night!

Keep your reservations and ENJOY!!!!!!!!

My family and I went to the Hoop Dee Doo in June 02. My DD was almost 4 and she totally loved it!! We were sitting on the upper level and we did enjoy the show and the food was really good. DH enjoyed the unlimited beer and we have one of the best photos of our whole trip that was taken outside before we went into the show (you know they gotta make some more money when they can!). We are going agin this year on July 4th and I know we will love it

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter